main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well the Republic(under Palpatine and his grand army militarization) was the Empire, cept in name and well had better soldiers and equipment,lol. Tarkin is a good example.

V-2 likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't want it to be all the same since that would be boring

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I don't think it's in Thrawn's character that he'd be a part of the Republic. Even on his best day, Thrawn's absolutely a fascist who believes that the only way a society as large as the GFFA can work is through a single voice commanding the countless others. He's not mean-spirited or powerhungry in that sense, but he genuinely believes in the idea of the Empire as the best possible form of government to bring order to the Galaxy.

But beyond the characterisation, Zahn has said that the new novel was written in a way that it could also work as another chapter for his Legends version as well as the canon version, so that kind of rules Thrawn out of the Clone Wars era.

Vana and Darth Dnej like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Keep in mind that by the time of ROTS, the Republic was basically the Empire already, just not yet rebranded.

5. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Yes but as SyndicThrass said, Zahn said that he would not "rewrite" the character, so I guess that "Thrawn was part of the Republic" IS rewriting the character. Even if "the Republic was like the Empire, at the end"...

Maybe Thrawn integrated the Empire when it was created, I don't see the problem. Everyone knows he did rise very quickly in the ranks.

Darth Caliban and PCCViking like this.
  6. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    In Rebels, I want to see Thrawn win. As in, I hope he wins the story.

I'm very pleased and grateful that Rebels reintroduced and canonized the character, but I still don't think his arrival has carried the heavy weight that it should. At least not yet.

It appears from the previews that it could be heading in that direction, but there's always a chance that all the main crew somehow escape or even "win." And Thrawn is banished by the Emperor for his failure or something awful. Or even killed.

Thrawn should be elevated in the ranks of SW villains. Rebels is the perfect opportunity for that to happen because of the nature of the story being placed right before ANH and the OT. I really hope they do it.

Vana likes this.
  7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think he'll win at the end of the season when they actually have a military conflict, but a big thing to remember is that the Galaxy isn't in a state of open war at this point and that's not exactly an era where Thrawn's character shines best. The majority of this show is the Rebels scraping together resources, making connections with various groups and a lot of hit and run tactics as opposed to fleets being part of massive naval engagements.

I'd say he'll maybe make one or two more appearances between now and the finale while the show focuses on the Mandalorian and Darth Maul arcs, then in the finale we'll see Thrawn come down hard on the Atallon Base and luring the rebel fleet into a trap, probably destroying most of it while the crew of the Ghost and a few of the others escape by the skin of their teeth, crippling the alliance in such a way that it takes them until the around the events of Rogue One before they can really muster their forces again (and even then, be extremely hesitant to get involved with another battle). But I don't expect that to happen any sooner than the season finale, so I think people are going to have to be patient until then.

Vana likes this.
  8. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    The thing is, because of budget restrictions, it almost look like Chopper Base is empty (in Warhead, it looked like there was only Zeb and 2 droids in it), so if Thrawn destroys it, it will look like the destruction of a small little empty base, especially if all the heroes make an escape.

A lot of people say that Thrawn's action against the rebels led to almost nothing, because in Rogue one we see again a nice fleet with a lot of ships, like if nothing happened before...

So it means that Thrawn failed? or are they so desperate in Rogue one (almost dismantling the rebellion) because Thrawn destroyed most of their hopes juste before, and they feel fragile? or does it mean that Thrawn did not have time to finish what he started (maybe the Emperor or Tarkin decided to send him on another mission too early without letting him finish).

Or maybe Kallus will be the new Rukh, which I hope NOT, because Thrawn being assassinated by a traitor he is aware of would be stupid.

9. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think the destruction of Chopper Base is just a lure to draw out the larger rebel fleet, and it won't be depicted as Thrawn's main target. Plus I think Sato's a dead man walking, so it's destruction will signify some kind of loss.

When it comes to the actual rebel fleet and its status in Rogue One, the Battle of Scarif is their first major victory and right before then it was really only the Mon Calamari who really wanted to fight, while the rest were ready to give up. I think if anything, Rogue One shows us that they couldn't stand up to the Empire and had been handily beaten in the past, with the strength of the Mon Cal fleet being the main shot in the arm they had going for them. So I'll make a prediction right now, I'll say that in Thrawn's battle scene in the finale, it's mostly just General Dodonna and his part of the fleet that escapes with the Ghost and the Rebellion has to spend the next two years rebuilding to get themselves into any kind of shape to fight on a large scale. Hell, they might even have Thrawn employ the pincer manuever trapping the rest.

As for Kallus....well, a summery they released for an upcoming episode implies that his identity has been outed and that episode will be about the crew of the Ghost trying to extract him before the imperials have him killed. So I can't see him being the fill in for Rukh, unless Thrawn dies in the next three episodes :p

Vana likes this.
  10. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This line from the new synopsis for the Thrawn novel makes me very curious about Thrawn's end goal [face_thinking]

''All these lessons will be put to the ultimate test when Thrawn rises to admiral—and must pit all the knowledge, instincts, and battle forces at his command against an insurgent uprising that threatens not only innocent lives but also the Empire’s grip on the galaxy—and his own carefully laid plans for future ascendancy.''

11. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    That whole synopsis is fascinating, but the point you referenced...I really do think it's laying the groundwork for a future appearance of the Empire of the Hand within canon.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I won't be surprised if he is apart of the first order now.

13. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Do you think that "the innocent lives" are the civilians of Batonn? it looks like Thrawn wants to save these "innocents", so if it's what I think, Thrawn didn't want these civilians to die at Batonn (but they did, but he didn't want that, something wrong happened I guess?) maybe he earned his grade of Grand Admiral in some kind of "sour victory", something he is not really proud of because of the civilian losses, that's why he does not defend himself when Kallus talks about it.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just got the impression that he saw it as acceptable losses.

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Thrawn killed Mr. Sumar himself. I highly doubt he cares one whit about civilian lives.

16. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Well, Sumar was a rebel who manipulated vehicles in an imperial factory. There is a difference between him and normal civilians.

17. Lente

Lente Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2017
    Sumar isn't civilian, and his actions led to the death of the imperial soldiers.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Still I don't think Thrawn at least in the new Canon is one to care about civilian loses.

19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I do think that line in the synopsis is indicative of Zahn keeping some of Thrawn's more noble traits in place, at least in the sense that Thrawn isn't like Tarkin or Krennic. He genuinely believes that the Empire is the best way to uphold order in the Galaxy. Everything Thrawn does, there's a reason to it and not the petty sadism that seems to define a lot of his compatriots.

20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I don't think he is, but I do think he establishes the canon version of the Empire of the Hand, which is later co-opted by Snoke to become the First Order.

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean it is 30 years later and Thrawn would be about 70-90 years old by that point

Darth Basin likes this.
  22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

He was somewhat old in Legends continuity. By the time of Outbound Flight, he was already a commander, so I would imagine he would have to be in his mid-thirties by then. That took place 24 or so years before the OT, 33 years or so before the Thrawn trilogy, so he would be about 60 at that point.

In any case, I don't think he would be around by the time of TFA. As I said, he could have laid the foundations for the EOTH, only for it to be twisted and perverted by Snoke and company. After all, we don't yet know the fate of Thrawn in canon. For all we know, he could be dead by Rogue One.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I actually would find it intresting if he died of old age in Canon. It won't be exiting, but I would find it extremely intresting non the less.

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if Rax takes him out, seeing Thrawn as a threat to his plans. If the new canon is anything like Legends Thrawn, in terms of his personal beliefs about order, he may see Rax as too extreme.

25. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    T. Zahn said in an interview that he never said anything about the lifespan of Chiss people, so in the new canon the Chiss could have a very long lifespan, we do not know yet.

Jedi Knight Fett : I think that Thrawn does care about the life of innocent people, that synopsis of the book seems clear about that. It doesn't mean he would not be ready to accept some civilian losses if the situation needs it, but he would not be indifferent or pleased by that.