main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    Exactly. We know nothing about the Noghri's backstory in the new canon. For all we know their Legends backstory (and therefore Rukh's reasons for killing Thrawn) could be completely non-existent in the new canon. So let's all take a deep breath and wait until we have more information before jumping to conclusions about Thrawn's potential demise.

(Sorry if that sounded a little bit too much like a rant. Conclusions being made about a show based on incomplete or out-of-context information is quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine thanks to the Voltron fandom).

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    (Yes I pity the fans of Maul, too. But yes Maul was used in TCS, Rebels, comics, book... Unlike Thrawn) I pity the fans of Quinlan Vos too. But it doesn't mean they have to ruin Thrawn as well...

T7-01 likes this.
  3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Rukh fills me with foreboding and barely restrained disgust. He is of course the guy who assassinated Thrawn in the original Thrawn Trilogy. Bringing him in can only mean they plan to have Thrawn assassinated. It's horrible. Thrawn isn't supposed to die before ANH. He's supposed to survive until after Endor. They're just going to ruin everything.

Houle likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Thrawn did use "Rukh" as his "shutdown codeword" for his droids - in hindsight, that looks like foreshadowing.

TheMechanical0ne, Vialco and rpvee like this.
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Aren't you overreacting just a tad bit? Zahn is a professional author, I'm sure he doesn't get that personally invested in his work. Thrawn is just one of many characters he's invented over the years. He's said that he was grateful for the chance to write Thrawn again.

You do that Legends and Canon are two different universes, right? Just because Thrawn was still with the Empire after Endor in Legends doesn't mean the same thing will happen to his storyline in Disney Canon.

6. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    How about you guys watch the show first then complain? lmao... xD How someone can be so negative and have such assumptions based on an introduction of a single character is beyond me. They handled Thrawn REALLY freaking well so far so have some faith in the Rebels crew.

After the last season concludes and you're still not happy, then you can whine all you want.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yo...

I'm probably 200% wrong, but

Anyone seen the Battlefront II trailer? Was that Thrawn on the Star Destroyer bridge? Looked eerily similar to him from behind

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The uniform looked:

a bit on the dark side - and I think the trousers were even darker than the jacket - ISB officer?

9. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Ok, ok... Just foreboding talking in my case which gets my feathers ruffled. ;-)
    Will try to calm down again and not worry too much. But it is so easy to get hyped with all the Star Wars information overload at the moment!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    I can't help but wonder what Thrawn will be up to this season. We didn't really see much of him, or any villains for that matter, in the trailer. We know he can't find the Yavin base so what will he be doing? Will he have as big of a role as he did in season 3?

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't see Thrawn dying

Darth Caliban and V-2 like this.
  12. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Given that he is assigned to Lothal (or at least was in season 3), I guess he will be involved when the Rebels take Lothal and / or destroy the TIE Defender factory which they had already planned towards the end of season 3. I will go ahead and assume they will achieve this as per usual.
    Wasn't the one shot we saw of him in the trailer firing at a fighter craft (can I guess: Ezra?).

And why is he groundside again? ;-)

13. TheMechanical0ne

TheMechanical0ne Jedi Master star 1

Aug 24, 2014
    Possibly. TIE Defenders still appear in Star Wars: Commander, which takes place after ANH and there are still TIE Defenders available for the Empire to utilize. There's a good chance that TIE Defender factories have spread out to other planets by that point, but at the same time I feel like the factory at Lothal might be safe?
    Or maybe I'm just being hopeful for Thrawn's sake the factory sticks around. If his depiction in the Thrawn book means anything to how he is in Rebels, chances are the guy's already a bit driven on capturing the Ghost crew after they eluded his grasp in "Zero Hour".
    Season 3 was a long ride as it was, but now I'm going to have to spend another season concerned if he makes it out in one piece or not. Curse you Filoni and co.! :p

14. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Pablo did say in Rebels Recon that the Rebels are very attached to Lothal. They won't be giving up in their efforts to liberate it. Once they get a chance to regroup, they'll try to assault the TIE Defender Factory again and they'll succeed in obliterating it. That's why we don't see TIE Defenders in the OT. They're Thrawn's brainchild and with their sole factory destroyed, Thrawn won't be able to have any more produced.

15. Sandtrooper956

Feb 15, 2015
    I agree, but considering we know they are around after the events of this series, maybe the Rebels destroying the factory is why we don't see them in the OT? It takes Thrawn some time to get the factory rebuilt somewhere else and more Defenders built.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Well, Thrawn is a Grand Admiral, not a Governor. He has to use Pryce's factory to build his prototype ships. Once that factory is gone, he would have to find another governor that would be willing to let him use their factory. Which would be hard, given that the last one was destroyed by Rebels. Also, the TIE Defender as a ship goes against the Empire's policy towards starfighters. Namely that they are expendable and meant to be deployed in vast quantities to swarm and overwhelm the enemy.

17. Sandtrooper956

Feb 15, 2015
    So maybe the Emperor will have Thrawn halt construction of more of these ships for the time, considering they're so expensive. Maybe to the Emperor they aren't worth the trouble.

18. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Given that Uncle Palps is delegating basically everything related to the Death Star construction to Tarkin and Director Bumbles Mc****-Up, the development/production of a single class of fighter seems kind of beneath the Emperor's attention. Tarkin seems like a much more likely candidate to call a halt to TIE Defender production. Maybe he doesn't like the change in fighter doctrine the fighter represents. Or maybe he sees this as an opportunity to subvert Thrawn--a potential rival in the long term--by using the destruction of the facility as an excuse to shut the whole thing down.

Alternatively, maybe Death Star construction reaches a stage where some rare materials are required for completion of the project and those resources are reassigned from the Defender project. Since those materials are needed elsewhere, there's no reason to rebuild the production line at this point.

Alhazred, V-2 and Sandtrooper956 like this.
  19. Sandtrooper956

Feb 15, 2015
    Tarkin makes way more sense - I mean he did sorta order Thrawn around at the start of Zero Hour.

20. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Of course Zahn can feel something about the fate of his characters. He can do nothing about it but I remember his bitterness when Traviss killed Mara in Legends, he was not happy but had to accept it.

I think that they should have changed the villain of the last season and used Thrawn in something else, more mature.

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I'll say the introduction of Rukh in the series says a lot on the direction they're going for Thrawn's story.

Vialco likes this.
  22. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Death in this season you mean, or trying to copy his story in Legends?

23. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I'd say it indicates that one way or another, this season/in Filoni's next animated series/future novel, Thrawn's death will be the same as it was in Legends. I'm not 100% sold that Rukh's introduction means that we're going to see that storyline play out within this season specifically, because it's going to be 15 episodes rather than the typical 22 and they've got a lot of other plot threads to close, with Kanan/Ezra, Ahsoka's fate, Saw and Mon Mothma having their philosophical divide and Saw's further descent into extremism, not to mention the Mandalorian Civil-War. So it may be that they set up Vader handing over the Noghri to Thrawn and having them established for use in the next series.

But even if it does happen this season, I don't think Zahn would be especially upset. Filoni said that he was talking to them about Rukh and they've been in communication a lot, so I can't imagine he'd be too torn up about it. The Noghri were big characters within Zahn's novels, and the fact that they've also been brought back into canon is something he's probably very happy about.

Vialco likes this.
  24. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    And Zahn did jokingly say in a recent interview he still hoped for some TV adaptation of TTT. ;-)
    Getting more of Zahn's original story into canon must be a fantastic feeling for him. But yes, maybe focusing on the main Rebels characters' storyline & tieing up loose ends in the last season would be best; other bits can be covered separately.

Doesn't mean I have to like it, biased as I am. Though that is the end of those "Thrawn on the Eclipse roumors" as far as I am concerned.

Vialco likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Rebels final scene will be Vader Force choking him in front of the Emperor.