main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Yes, and he doesn't like the Death star project, but I don't think he sees it as a real threat to the Chiss, because he never gave the localisation of Csilla to Palpatine. And I don't even see why Palpatine would try to destroy Csilla anyway.

So I hope that it will be just like in Legends: he doesn't like the Death stars, but sees the Empire as necessary, sees the rebels as bringers of chaos and would never side with them, as they want to destroy the only governement he believes is unified enough to help fight the invaders.

Siding with rebels or betraying the Empire would be counterproductive if he wants to help the Chiss.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    when do you all think Thrawn will die?

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Either in the last episode of Rebels or in a post-RotJ animated series.

4. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015

From the dragon con panel. Zahn and Gilroy talking about Thrawn.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well in Legends, Thrawn's weakness was his overconfidence and lack of physical strength. His bodyguard stabbed him easily in the back and he died. Very similar to how Palpatine was undone in ROTJ. His most trusted servant turned on him.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah but in canon we know that at least one of those is no longer true

7. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, that's I why specifically said Legends. It was always a bit of a glass jaw weakness that Thrawn was all brains and no brawn. Nice to see that corrected by Filoni.

8. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I still wonder who these mysterious invaders are supposed to be?

Vong, lost Sith, Snoke, someone completely new?

I hope when Zahn/story group came up with the idea of Thrawn joining the Empire because of the threat of some mysterious powerful invaders to the Chiss, they already had planned who these invaders are, and that they didn't just came up with it thinking they'll maybe figure it out in the future.

It works if we consider the Thrawn novel as part of Legends, as we know the mysterious invaders are the Vong, but in the SGC, there are no real indications so far who it can be, only lots of speculation.

9. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    Regarding the interview I posted there where some interesting things in there:
    - Apparently the writers have a backstory for Konstantine
    - Zahn is not afraid because of Rukh.In the Thrawn trilogy there were specific circumstances leading to Thrawn's demise.
    They do not exist in this time period.
    - Thrawn is scottish for twisted.
    - Zahn thinks the likes of Pellaeon and Mara Jade should only be brought back in canon when it makes sense. Otherwise the galaxy feels smaller.

10. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I was very surprised, though perhaps I shouldn't have been, of how much Henry Gilroy seemed to like Pellaeon and the idea of him being brought into canon. I'd certainly like to see him show up in an animated series at some point.

11. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
  12. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Well, that's not true. It was never said anywhere that Thrawn was incompetent in fighting in Legends. Much the contrary, Zahn wrote Legend novels like Mist encounter, Side trip, or even Outbound flight, where Thrawn directly goes into battle. When you're a soldier you have the military training anyway, so of course he could fight. It's just that, as a Grand Admiral, he didn't need to get his hands dirty by executing people himself, he could ask Rukh to do the dirty job.

And anyone could be stabbed in the back, even people good at fighting. Stabbing in the back is lethal to anyone, as it takes you by surprise without giving you the opportunity to fight. So, good fighter or not... it means death.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Thrawn was a coward in Legends who never confronted his enemies face-to-face the way Vader and Palpatine did. Even Krennic had the backbone to personally take charge of the fight on Scarif. Canon Thrawn has the same backbone and he led the attack on Atollon personally. That's the kind of take-charge attitude I want to see in my villains. Not some tea-drinker who spends the entire book ensconced in his Star Destroyer directing his numerous forces against the enemy. Who does he think he is, Sauron?

14. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    That's not cowardice at all. Some of the greatest military leaders command from the rear, while conversely, some the dumbest and most foolhardy got themselves slaughtered fighting on the front. Not to mention the fact that the majority of Thrawn's battles in Legends were naval combat. He's a Grand Admiral .

15. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012

I haven't got a chance to read the novel yet and I don't listen to audio books but I'll admit hearing the audio here does paint a picture. Maybe it's Marc Thompson effectively keeping things true to Lars Mikkelsen but also bringing his own take to Thrawn which admittedly he's been doing for years I hear so he's had long time experience with the character. I get why he read from the book since he has to voice the other characters too but it'd be cool to hear Lars read some of Thrawns journals as well. Maybe if he does conventions someone could ask him like Mads is sort of starting to do whenever he's available that is.

If it were possible it'd be great if Marc actually got an animated role someday. He's done so much for Star Wars in audio books it'd be great to see him as his own character but since he's a New York voice actor I'm not sure if he could or not because of union laws or whatever.

16. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Looking at the posted synopses of the first few episodes, I am getting a little worried. Maybe I am falling into a trap laid with red herrings, but the Ghost crew stealing a TIE Defender? From a facility that should be 100% secure? (esp. given their track record of getting into places they should not be able to). Then there is the stuff they do in the trailer - blowing up TIEs with rockets while flying jet packs, trouncing all Imperials they come across, Kanan & Ezra being more powerful than Luke ever got to be, Sabine as this ultra capable warrior and leader at age 16/17...

I am fine with one person being gifted and exceptional, but there seems to be a glut in Rebels
    So, how on Earth did they not crush the Empire way sooner with this super crew who can do anything? I know it is a kids show and things are a bit simplified, but watching A New Hope is painful after this.

I am holding my breath about Thrawn, hoping they are finally making him a bit more like in Legends or the new novel. Don't get me wrong - I don't want a whitewash or him becoming a good guy all of a sudden, but a bit more ambiguity would be nice.
    Leading the occupation of Lothal? Really? Is there such a surplus of Grand Admirals in the Empire that they can keep one of them in one system full time? Still don't get how Rukh fits into this but keeping a open mind.

Wait and see I guess, but I am really curious how they are planning to end the show without it being at odds with the movies.

OK, rant over. I really should not get so worked up, it is fiction after all. ;-)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't know about canon, but in Legends, there were at least 12 Grand Admirals (if I remember correctly).

18. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    That´s quite right, I seem to remember that there were 12 Grand Admirals at any given time. Thrawn was promoted, if memory isn´t failing, with the whole Zaarin campaign of the amazing TIE Fighter video game.

Poor Zaarin was defeated twice by Thrawn; in legends universe he ruined his plans and eventually ended the rogue Grand Admiral´s life; in canon Zaarin was pretty much erased from any reference of the TIE Defender project being his idea, in favor of Thrawn!

19. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Ah, TIE Fighter! Still my favourite PC game of all time. It had a great storyline and as you say, the TIE Defender was Grand Admiral Zaarin's idea as head of R&D (before he tried to abduct the Emperor and run his own Empire). They also neatly got over the issue why Thrawn was not involved in the later stages of the fight against the Rebellion in that game, since he had to hunt down and defeat the traitorous Zaarin. The debriefing of the last mission mentions now waiting for reports of the Emperor's victory at Endor...

I know Zahn later put his own spin on it with Thrawn's "exile to the unknown regions on mapping duty". But the TIE Fighter storyline fits surprisingly well with new canon and the novel depiction of Thrawn. Now if only LucasArts released an updated version of that game with modern graphics...

Ithorians likes this.
  20. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    We get a new novel with Thrawn and Vader. The question is: Is it placed between season 3 and 4 or after season 4?

First case: I guess, we will get infomartion about how Rukh joins Thrawn similar to Legends.
    Second case (what I hope for): Thrawn survives Rebels and does some stuff.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Oh gosh, I had not considered it might be between 3&4! Was all positive for Thrawn's survival beyond Rebels...
    Just cannot stand the thought of him being killed on the show. And equally a repeat from the old EU of how Rukh gets into his employ (could have done without him tbh).

Although it would be odd if Thrawn did die in season 4 and then a new book comes out about him a few months later.

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    They are being pretty vague about it's time placement right now (purposely so more than likely) so could be either one. We'll just have to see what ends up happening to him this season. The only hint we got about its placement is that it says it continues to follow his rise within the Imperial Ranks. Which could mean anything. Could be inbetween season 3 and 4 or after season 4.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thrawn trying to single handedly shoot down the TIE Defender was awesome as hell. He ain't backin' down, dangit, even with impossible odds there could have been a chance he could have shot it down. Also it was kinda like Joker facing down the Batwing in Batman. But way more like Patton.

24. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    According to Zahn in a recent interview, Thrawn Alliances takes place after Rebels Season 3.

25. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Wow, can't have been a long mission with Vader then. And maybe this is where he picks up Rukh?

I was really hoping it would go beyond the Rebels timeline. I am getting a bit tired of the show and its same-old same-old format of almost every episode. I enjoy Thrawn when he has a competent crew around him and the Empire feels more like a genuine threat but still made up of real people (not cartoon villains / comic relief characters).