main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I will likely revisit this via the audiobook, based on Marc's work. He adds so much to the experience!

Vialco and spicer like this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    He seriously does. Jonathan Davis doesn't come close to Marc's level of performance. With Thrawn Marc really gives a voice to every one of his characters. Hat's off to you Thompson. Well done.

SensationalSean likes this.
  3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Marc's done a lot more animation voice over work so I think that's helped give him a lot more range with his vocals. As far as audiobook narrators go he's probably the best in the business, though that's not a knock on Jonathan Davis who has done a pretty admirable job with his time in the Galaxy Far Far Away.

SensationalSean, SWpants and Vialco like this.
  4. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I still regret that Marc this time didn't do the same interpretation he did in the old Thrawn trilogy audiobook. I don't like very much the "Rebels-like" new voice he gave to Thrawn in the new books, the old version was much better in my opinion, and more the way I always imagined Thrawn's voice. Deeper and with more authority in it.

5. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    While I don't mind the new Thrawn voice as such (i.e. in Rebels), I thought in the audio book it sounded a bit too scheming for when we are first introduced to Thrawn at the beginning. I can't quite put my finger on why it did not fit with my expectations. But somehow I had expected him to sound... younger / less polished to start with?

But apart from that the audio book was excellent, hard to believe it is all one done by one person! Very enjoyable indeed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Maybe because his Tv Rebels voice (and so, this one, as Marc tried to imitate the voice Thrawn has in Rebels, I guess he was told to do so, it's not his fault) always sound the same, monotonous, always like if Thrawn was scheming and making plans all the time. The old version was more contrasted, you could feel better when he was calm, satisfied, or cold, distant, angry, etc. With the "new voice", everything sounds boring (to me), everything sounds the same, like if he was scheming all the time for everything. I'm sure he would sound exactly the same if he was explaining a plan to kill rebels or if he was ordering a menu at the restaurant.

7. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think that's probably what they were intending, that Thrawn could maintain a mild and conversational tone whilst also commanding a Star Destroyer into battle to show just how seemingly detatched he is. It feeds into something I've seen brought up a lot, that within Canon they're really playing up that "otherness" that Thrawn possesses. The fact that he's specifically not a human and doesn't necessarily perceive the world the same way a human would is something that the Story Group seem to be keen on exploring.

Revanfan1 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  8. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    For anyone who has read the new Thrawn novel, does it contradict, the Outbound Flight Project? Or better yet, does it make any hints that Outbound Flight did happen? [face_praying]

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It doesn't specifically support or contradict it, however a certain character from Outbound Flight is in the book.

Daneira likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thrawn?

:p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    He does contradict the EU :p

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, it is a Chiss Admiral that I'm talking about. :p

13. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    No. Admiral Arl'ani (sp?). Strictly speaking, Formbi wasn't in the Chiss military.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  15. DarthGaul

DarthGaul Jedi Master star 3

May 25, 2004
    Having heard the audiobook version....I agree. I think I liked his original voice from the previous Thrawn trilogy....this version (the one from Rebels too) makes him sound sleepy or drunk all the time. There was more authority and a presence when he had more of a "too intelligent" inflection to it. I'd give my thoughts on the book...but...I've been muffled from giving any more opinions on the matter. So....I'll just leave it at this.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Muffled :(

I'm still waiting for your review on Survivors Quest and Outbound Flight

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. DarthGaul

May 25, 2004
    Not allowed to create anymore reviews on my own.

18. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ And why is that, if you don't mind me asking.

19. DarthGaul

May 25, 2004
    *shugs* Moderators don't want me to start threads on SW books I've read and want to review.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why not just use this thread or the ranking thread?

Daneira likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyone is free to post reviews in either: 1. The existing general review thread for a novel (if applicable. Not all books have review threads) or 2. existing discussion threads for the particular novel.

What we don't want is a la carte review threads for each user. That promotes clutter and tends to be more about the individual reviewer than the book.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I read all 3 of the Aftermath Series, Bloodlines, Lords of the Sith and Tarkin. I will be getting Thrown tomorrow, I hear good things about it. I'll be sure to post here after I read it.

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Is that a new book? I haven't heard of it before now. You know if you've read all those other books, you should really check out Thrawn as well. The continuity between all these new novels is pretty good so far.

24. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017

Which Book out of the list are you referring to ?

All listed are part of the Disney Cannon. Thanks I definitely will read it.

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011