main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    i just really want a pelllaeon or chimera mention in the book

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    All I can say is room. Without. A. Roof!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] :) [face_sigh] Evaporates with bliss!

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I kinda like the first Thrawn image. The shades are neat but his eyes would look better simply bright red. Seeing the pupils in his case breaks immersion that he's 'real'. I agree he's too broad/bulky.

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    This is oncept art, though. The Rebels Thrawn action figure initially made the same mistake, and is fixing it.

They do Brazilian covers fairly regularly, so the ones you haven't seen before, you can probably get on book covers there.

5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I think part of the reason for that is that they want to visually, somewhat, differentiate the Chiss from the Pantorans.

CooperTFN likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Indeed, they're also responsible for these lovelies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sigh. I really miss the Legends-style epaulettes. :(

7. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I wondered when we'd get the official Jello position on the new epaulettes. I agree.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Was there ever any doubt on the official Jello position on epaulettes?

9. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I am nervous about the execution of the story. In the Legends story Thrawn brings the New Republic to its knees and he was the underdog. Now he is top dog. Anything less than complete erdication of this Rebel cell will make this Thrawn inferior to the Legends Thrawn.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Is he top dog, though? It's unclear how many Grand Admirals there are altogether, but interviews have suggested that the galaxy is big enough that he could be around doing other stuff during the OT if he survives the show. I don't want the Rebels to run roughshod over him, but it's not like they're up against Palpatine himself.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That' what makes it interesting though -- it's different. He's not an underdog. He doesn't have to play as many games. But Thrawn is Thrawn, so we probably won't see him using overwhelming force even if he has it at his disposal.

Ideally I'd like to see some internal Imperial politics involving him, but I think that'll be something we'll get in the novel instead of the show.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Perhaps he's handling overall strategy planning on Coruscant before Tarkin summons him to Lothal?

--Adm. Nick

13. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    More than likely that's the case, I think. We see him inside the Jedi Temple Imperial Palace, Governor Pryce talks about needing someone who sees "a bigger picture," and finally of that paygrade and ability would more than likely be used for the largest of scale strategy and planning.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like that's after they'd have put him on the problem, as he's already looking at the art specifically associated with this Rebel cell. It's possible he'd be running the entire thing from Coruscant.

15. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    Oooh, good point, I forgot that detail. I guess he'd just be there because of his seniority, I suppose. Did the Grand Admirals have clearly defined areas of interest/operations in the old EU besides their personal Star Destroyers? I remember Grunger set up shop at Corellia during the warlord period but I don't think that was his AO during the original trilogy era.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I like that the epaulettes are gone because kitschy and opulent is not the Empire military style. I mean look at Grand Moff Tarkin, third most powerful man of the Empire.

CooperTFN likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Grand Admirals essentially had two roles in Legends -- (1) to help the Emperor exercise more direct control over the Imperial Navy and (2) to act as roving "fixers" or people with untrammeled authority in a defined AOR, sort of like mini-Vaders.

So for instance, you might have grand admirals like Zaarin or Batch assigned over high-priority research and development projects. You might have grand admirals like Teshik or Thrawn , assigned as the imperial plenipotentiary for the security of the Core Worlds (Sector Zero) or the Unknown Regions respectively. There were grand admirals like Tigellinus and Il-Raz who didn't do anything in particular, but politicked in the Imperial Court and in COMPNOR respectively.

They were a pretty heterogeneous group with relatively little rhyme or reason behind their appointment and use.

They're neither kitschy nor opulent -- they're just part of the uniform. And are pretty common military decorations. Imperial uniforms come out of WWI, and epaulettes were highly common in dress uniforms at the time.

But in any event, your idea is likely the direction the new canon is headed. There's that leaked page of the propaganda book that suggests just that: the braids and buttons and all the fine things that uniforms had during the Old Republic were swept away during the Empire. I find that a little silly -- the Empire was all about pomp and circumstance. But in any event, at least we have the gold shoulder things.

18. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    No reason the one with the biggest brains of the bunch couldn't be held fast back at Coruscant to keep the overall ops plan running for a sector campaign or what-have-you, then. Under that system, at least.

19. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I would argue that the grandiose nature of epaulets is exactly what made you stand up and take notice of Thrawn in the old canon. They gave him that visual distinctness from all the other Imperials. They were, in part, Thrawn's cape.

Anyway, there's probably a far more practical reason that Thrawn lost his classical epaulets: animation cost savings.

There's a reason why Jedi in the Clone Wars didn't show up in robes all the time despite the fact that they routinely do so in the movies. Same reason why Vader only shows up a few times a season (besides the fact that they don't want to downgrade him as a villain)

Real epaulets have a bunch of little jiggly strings that would need to be animated one by one or else it looks plastic...like everyone's hair on the show.

This way they were able to give him epaulets of a sort while still saving animation money for Vader's cape. :p

Be grateful Jello.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm grateful we even got a white uniform with gold thingies and correct rank insignia at all, trust me. It was a very pleasant surprise :p

Even if we had all basically come to the conclusion Thrawn was returning, there was no guarantee the classic Grand Admiral get-up would be back. And even if it were, they might've gone comic style without epaulettes or rank insignia at all. I'm happy with what we've got -- see icon, after all.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I for one had my fingers crossed for Ensign Thrawn.

DelRiego and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Ok. Do you think he'll get a "lady friend" this time around?

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Everyone should be paired up.
    [​IMG]

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Movie Empire wasn't about pomp and circumstance, really, even if you look at the Emperor. The most fancy they had were the red guards, but even those didn't wear any "decorations". But we can agree to disagree.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    We can indeed agree to disagree.

[​IMG]

Random Comments and LelalMekha like this.