main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Choices of One and Outbound Flight were incredible. Survivors Quest was good. Allegiance was only slightly weak, in my opinion. But TTT and HoT remain amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    His last book, Scoundrels, was one of his best, IMO.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh lord I forgot Scoundrels.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I wonder if Zahn will write this.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    TBF, Sinre, everyone forgets Scoundrels.

ATimson likes this.
  6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

It has already been announced that he is.

7. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

[​IMG]

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It was such a weird book.

I liked it, but, yeah.

Stymi likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't. :(

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I wondered if I should have marked my post a joke (because up to now with almost every new book without an author someone has said that maybe Zahn will write it), and apparently I should have .

11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I wasn't happy with Scoundrels, and I typically like all his SW books, even the less popular ones.

But I would argue Zahn deserves a bit of a pass for Scoundrels. It was a different book for him. Out of his usual comfort zone. Which is a good thing.

Plus, I recall a lot of people liked it a lot.

It's really hard not to be excited about a NEU Thrawn book by Zahn...for most fans, I would argue anyway.

It looks like this news is even appealing to the Disney killed my childhood crowd.

Some will still poo poo the idea, I'm sure.

12. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I woke up this morning perplexed that Del Rey didn't have ANY plans for an adult novel beyond Catalyst and Empires End and wondered what was up with that, and then Zhan oh so casually (too casually!) mentions he's writing a new book. I'm a new fan, and I'm pretty much dedicated to canon only material....which means that, yes, HTTE is on my radar, but the fact that it doesn't even have the prequels informing it is a bit weird. I've always been weary of alternate universes even in fanfic so its almost too out there for me. So even though I've been assured that Thrawn's a great character (and he does SOUND amazing as a villain!) I've also known he probably would never be a part of MY star wars.

Until now. Between this and Rebels...I'm ready. And I'm friggen PUMPED. I want to get to know him and see the impact he has on the universe at large now. I'm excited to see what the ever venerated Zhan will bring to the NuCanon. I'm excited that this extremely cool character can be a part of my star wars and loads of new fans star wars as well. I'm totally down for this!

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Outbound Flight I think is his best book. I love it.

Alliegence though is his worst. Having Darth Vader be jealous of an 18 year old who out thinks and outwits him and then even out fights him, is just urgh :(!

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Was wondering why on earth they'd do this, then saw the new Rebels S3 trailer and it all clicked together.

Very neat indeed.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I really hope not...they drove me away from pretty much all SW books after they showed up.

16. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Pretty sure the books after the Vong War is what drove everyone else off ;)

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You do realise, in this continuity, the Vong wouldn't last 5 minutes against Ackbar, yes?

18. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Vong would be fantastic. If you dislike Traitor I don't even know you.

19. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    "In some of the larger forums, the cheering went on for hours... Thrawn was back."

Seriously though, I'm actually excited for this.:D

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    He does, it's a trap

Random Comments and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Fiannawolf

Fiannawolf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2015
    All I can keep thinking is if they brought Thrawn back...then maybe my KOTOR/Sith War Era favorites have a chance. In any event will def. buy this book. Me gusta.

22. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Mark my words, It will be revealed, that Thrawn is actually Sabine Wren's art-instructor at the Imperial Academy, who in his free time dresses in a fancy-fantasy uniform imagining himself as this great military Genius in a Don Quixote-like way. :) You have to admit, this would take the character into a whole new direction.

WMIRTUTSF, Barriss_Coffee and cthugha like this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I want to like you, NEU, really...

... and now I actually have a reason to do so. I'll certainly be checking it out; between this and Rogue One, it might put Star Wars back on my list, as it were.

Also, I imagine the more rabid NEU fans that insist the EU was just awful from the beginning are wandering around in a daze right now... [face_laugh]

24. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Zahn created the character, so I have a lot of faith in this novel. This might be a day one/week one purchase for me. I think they are going to do their best to respect Thrawn in canon material as he is extremely beloved by fans of the EU.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013