main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's been ridiculed since, but some novels outright stated that the Rebels did a rampage when they captured the Imperial Palace, slaughtering mere clerks and the likes. Of course, that's now Legends.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Children of the Jedi, and it was more than just clerks. It was civilians of all types.

I've never forgotten.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    If my memory serves me right, Leia didn't forget either, and she was quite... morally embarrassed by it.

Iron_lord and Darth Caliban like this.
  4. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I did not read that book, but yes, this is the kind of fact that I like: some rebels must have done bad things, some have gone too far, or some anarchists joined the rebellion just to loot Imperial goods or steal things for themselves. It would be realistic. 100% of the rebels cannot be good, idealist people who only do good things and are morally perfect.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Here's the relevant passage for you:

Iron_lord and Ulicus like this.
  6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Thank you so much!

Like this I don't need to read "Children of the Jedi". It is famous for not being very interesting to read (especially because of Callista). I did read the Dark Saber, but it was by K.J.Anderson, if I remember well. Poor Barbara Hambly didn't have a lot of success with Star Wars. But that part you posted shows that there were good ideas in that book, too.

Darth Caliban and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I always liked this book. It was well written imo and had interesting information in it. I also didn't like Callista. I was and still am an absolute fan of Mara.

8. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Make chisses be able to become up to 150-200 years pls? So we can have some movie appearance of Thrawn aswell? Because tbh, Thrawn must be around 80-90 at the time of the new movies.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, we don't know how long Chiss tend to live. In Legends, Thrawn was already a commander for the Chiss in Outbound Flight, and that was around 27 years BBY (if my calculation is correct), and therefore, 36 years before the Thrawn trilogy.

10. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Yeah exactly, I really want them to be able to live for like 150-200 years so Thrawn doesen't just die so quickly, and might also have an appearance in ST.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Formbi was around in 27 BBY and 36 ABY so a century odd was never too impossible them as I doubt Formbi would be so important in 27 BBY at a young age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking and Darth Caliban like this.
  12. LBT-00

LBT-00 Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2016
    Humans also apparently live up to around a century in the GFFA (providing they're healthy) according to the Wook I believe, mind you this is Legends info

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    In Legends, one of the backround Humans in Episode III was 300! Of course, this wasn't entirely natural. But Truce at Bakura had supercentenarians, and so did The Courtship of Princess Leia.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Weren't the people there augmented with mechanical parts? Been years since I've read the story but could swear that I remember something like that.

15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    They were indeed. Orn Belden, age 164, wore a voice amplifier on his chest and had gone through three hearts in his life. Nevertheless, that's still impressive. And Gilad Pellaeon still was quite sprightly at age 91 anyway.

16. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    In Legends I've read somewhere that the Chiss have the same lifespan as humans.

Thrawn was young in Outbound flight, and Chiss look like adults already around 12/13 years old, so if he was around 20 years old in outbound flight, he was around 55 years old in the Thrawn trilogy, it sounds quite correct.

But yes, he cannot appear in the movies after SW7 if he has a normal lifespan. But why would we need to see him in these movies? he could appear in another movie, a prequel, a spin-off, somewhere else. In a movie a bit like Rogue One.

17. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Because the PT,OT,ST (can we call these saga movies?) are above anthology movies in many things. Having him appear in an anthology movie would be cool aswell, but I just want to see some Thrawn in the first order, so we know he isn't forgotten or something like that. So if there's an anthology, hopefully it's around the ST time.

18. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I think Thrawn should appear in a future spin-off novel of the ST set maybe after Episode VIII similar to Heir to the Empire where Thrawn teams up with Kylo Ren and goes up against Rey, Finn and Poe. Rey,Finn and Poe have an expedition in the UR and encounter Thrawn's fleet and perhaps team up to face a threat in the UR. The novel would be written by Tim Zahn of course and a perfect follow-up to the upcoming novel THRAWN coming April 2017(six days before my 45th birthday).

19. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    No, I don't want to see Thrawn teaming up with that stupid tennager Kylo Ren, he has nothing to do with him. And against Rey and Finn? they do not deserve to have him as an enemy. They should have Force-users enemies, or Kylo Ren, Hux, Snoke...

I really didn't find ANY character in SW7 charismatic. I don't want to see Thrawn in these movies, an of course Miss Perfect-Rey would outsmart him in no time, because she's so perfect in everything she does, and Finn would find a way to beat him as well because of some lucky event, etc... no, please, no.

Th heroes of Rebels no not deserve to face him either.

If Thrawn appears somewhere, I think it should be against Luke/Leia/Han (in a prequel?), not against some teenagers.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    What about teenagers with attitude?

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...TBH, I'm starting to think you should skip this novel and just build a personal Shrine o' Thrawn.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Will these Teenagers do ?
    Raphael is cool but crude
    Grand Admiral Thrawn is a party dude

23. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    An idea i am still fond of would be letting him defect to the Rebel Alliance/New Republic. This would also kind of explain the ease with which they defeated the empire in such a short time.

24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Although Children of the Jedi is definitely non-canon (a Legends work that can't even fit into a head-canon Disneyverse), the "Rebel partisans" listed here could be retconned, if people still added retcons to Legends, as Saw Gerrera's Partisans group that still caused the New Republic such embarrassment in the Bloodlines novel in the canon universe.

I was just thinking it would be interesting if Mara Jade was somehow slipped by Zahn into the Thrawn novel and recanonized. A young red-haired agent of Palpatine that Thrawn recruits or something, set up to be Luke's student in the Disney canon much like she was in the Legends universe (but without marrying Luke of course). Although considering the fate of all of Luke's students as revealed in The Force Awakens, Zahn may be hesitant in setting her up to be one of Luke's apprentices....

25. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

I don't see the problem in saying that Thrawn deserves more enemies like Leia, Luke, Han, Bel Iblis, Mara,... than enemies like Ezra of Rebels or Finn. It's just logical to me.