main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So.... some info from SLCC that I didn't see reported on until I watched the video: Pryce is going to be in Thrawn, too! So they have a history... interesting.

CooperTFN, MercenaryAce and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Thrawn/Pryce OTP.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Slater and MercenaryAce like this.
  3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well she does (presumably) ask for him specifically in the trailer as well.

4. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I thought "Ahsoka" was the book I was the most excited about, but... then this was announced. I absolutely cannot wait for this book. I'm gonna read the whole Thrawn trilogy again before it comes out. This is what I've been hoping for ever since the Legends/Canon split announcement.

I'm curious to see if any of Zahn's other famous characters are going to appear. I think it's very safe to say that Mara Jade will not appear, but some of his other characters could. Pallaeon, perhaps? I don't know what to expect. Part of me thinks referencing some of his other characters would be a fun nod to the EU. But there's also a large part of me that thinks nothing like that will happen.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Pellaeon, at least, would make sense as more than just a nod, since Thrawn needs a Watson. Though other EU or new characters could also serve that role, of course. (Perhaps even, to follow on the previous conversation, Pryce?)

Darth Caliban and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  6. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I'd enjoy it if Pryce and Pallaeon both have roles in the novel, and they don't like each other.

jakobitis89, Barriss_Coffee and Vana like this.
  7. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    It's logical to hear about Pryce in the book, because according to the trailer she knows about Thrawn, so she must have met him before or worked with him. She has also a high rank, and the Disney canon is quite poor, so if Zahn wants to use some "official imperial characters of Disney", Pryce would be one of them, I guess.

I hope there will not be anything between them (berk [face_sick] ) and I hope that she won't be the new "Pellaeon"... she seems to have a higher rank than Pellaeon anyway (I wouldn't imagine Pellaeon talking like this to Tarkin, for example).

Give us back Pelly!! :_|

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  8. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I want Sloan to start showing up in Rebels, and I can see no better way to introduce her than as the understudy of a certain blue skinned Tactical genius.

9. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Pryce vs Sloane vs Pellaeon : fight to become the favorite pupil of Professor Thrawn! [face_laugh]

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would love to see Sloane in Rebels, and if being Pelly to Thrawn is what it took to get there then I'd be fine with that.

That said, I don't expect to see her in either Thrawn or Rebels. She's not gonna be everywhere, even though she's basically the go-to Imperial in the same way that Pelly was with the EU.

But I'd like to be surprised.

(P.S. I don't see Pryce as Thrawn's pupil, but rather -- a colleague. I see it as a "hey I worked with this dude before and he's pretty good, let me go call him up.")

11. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I personally feel that Sloane deserves to be in Rebels in her own right, rather than as a mere sidekick to a major established character. As cool as that relationship would be, it wouldn't be very believable given the stories we've seen of her viewpoint so far. The short story, The Levers of Power, for instance, shows that she served as the protege of Baylo, Tarkin, and then Vidian before she became a high-ranking officer, and draws predominantly on lessons imparted by all three in her thinking. I'd find it really weird if she spent most of the Battle of Endor mentally spouting sayings from these defining influences in her life, only for us to learn that she directly studied under the tutelage of Thrawn and didn't recall the wisdom of the Empire's greatest strategist during the biggest battle of her life thus far. That's of course not to say that it couldn't happen. It's just that it would seem really weird if she previously studied under Thrawn, and never once saw fit to mention or even think about it in any of the stories set from her point of view since then.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or even a live action movie like Rogue One.

It would be a good opportunity to show the Vice Admiral's insignia that hasn't appeared on-screen before - the closest to it is Tarkin's Moff insignia in ROTS.

13. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    That's right, even if we know why: Thrawn was not canon when these books/novels were written. But still, yes, it would sound strange if she does not even mention him.

I don't really know about that character so I can't judge her, a lot of people seem to like her, I'm curious now. But I don't really want to see her instead of Pellaeon as Thrawn's side.

And about Pryce, yes, she seems more like a high-rank colleague than a pupil, that's true. And Konstantine, can't he become Thrawn's Watson ? I don't really know the guy either, but he has a moustache, it reminds me of Pelly :)

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If that happened, I'd wonder what it is with Thrawn and incompetent mustachioed subordinates :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Because he likes to feel intelligent and cultured compared to them? :D

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Sloane in Rebels as a the NEU Pelly would be kind cool, if done well. It would also work, despite her not inner monologuing about him previously.

But, as much as I enjoy the Filoni-verse, I'd worry Rebels would completely botch Sloane's characterization.

For Thrawn, they get to start from scratch in a sense, while dipping into the core Thrawniness of Thrawn.

I would argue Sloane is a more nuanced character. I'd also argue Rebels strength is not nuance by design. Which is fine for the show. The style fits the content.

Sloane may work best as a literature only character, where every reader can put their own unique interpretation and spin on her characterization.

Rebels Sloane would concretize her more, which, I think is bad for Sloane. She is a dynamic character. And I am interested to see how she will continue to develop.

17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I'd rather like to see Daala turn up as Thrawn's second in command.

CT-867-5309, Grey1 and ATimson like this.
  18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I'd prefer NEW characters! why is everyone important in the empire wasting their time on some outer rim backward teenage chumps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Because the social season on Coruscant hasn't started yet.

20. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    The problem is that Thrawn does not like incompetent subordinates. And Daala is really incompetent.

JediBatman likes this.
  21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    That sounds like a very GOOD reason to make Daala his second in command!

Career cut short where it should have been, no danger of a President Daala travesty in the future.

22. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Or you know, a chance to redeem Daala by not having her be incompetent/completely bonkers.

23. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

I'm rereading Darksaber now, and I think she's a lot more competent in it than in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Of course, she has Pellaeon as her second-in-command, so that might explain it.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Daala In Name Only? DINO?

And PCCViking I agree -- she wasn't so bad sometimes. Thing was I think sometimes the authors weren't sure what way to write her, including KJA, who probably didn't foresee her role continuing past the first three novels. In Darksaber she had her moments, but sheesh, she was totally nutso in Jedi Academy Trilogy.

I think her out-of-universe character instability -- sometimes she was this, sometimes she was that -- led her to be hard to empathize with. At least for me. I hated her in Jedi Academy, but at least I hated her because she was meant to be a deluded villain. Later when they tried to make her competent, she wasn't so unique anymore -- they could have switched her role with other villains and it wouldn't have mattered. Her background in the Maw, and even before that, didn't play a part in who she became post-JAT.

Daala would only work with Thrawn if -- er. No, actually I can't see that working. She's Desmond from LOST, her character was pressing a button in room for years thinking she had one of the most important jobs that meant something. She's a villain who discovered she had been deluded for years. Her story is diminished if it's told any other way.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    With Daala, I want a do-over.

I say make Thrawn her new Tarkin, and do it right this time. Tie it in with the old background of acing simulations back at the academy (or whatever it was), and her being passed over because she's a woman. Thrawn would be the type to recognize an undervalued commodity.

But, this is being written by Zahn, and he doesn't do any actual strategy, so that wouldn't work, either. She might not be incompetent in the story, but her competence would be all tell and no show. New twist, same problem. Illegitimacy.