main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Anderson also seemed to lose track of things - in Jedi Search it was made crystal clear to Han that the Death Star Prototype had no hyperdrives, making it useless against the New Republic - but in Champions of the Force everybody is worried about the Death Star Prototype being taken into New Republic space.

Though I suppose they could have been afraid that somebody had brought in some hyperdrives and installed them between books.

I was thinking that the fans might be slightly too harsh when it comes to judging.

It's a bit like Abaddon the Despoiler, another example of General Failure - fans think he's vastly more incompetent than "canon" does.

2. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Well, some new Thrawn info.

Season premiere of rebels showing Thrawn already, we also got to know some significant part of his history. It appears, very recently he was given the rank of Grand Admiral. It was stated during the episode. "The emperor recently promoted me after my victory at" .. then he says some kind of planet/place which I don't know how to type. Bateaun? Bataeu? Something like that.

BigAl6ft6 and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Well, we know his history is going to be a little different from Legends since he's already a Grand Admiral before A New Hope and in Legends, he isn't a Grand Admiral until close to before TESB.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Yes. Now we know that he got the position in

2 BBY

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I know Zahn is writing this and I can understand the enthusiasm-but who besides me feels this is just a sop to old EU fans?

Anedon likes this.
  6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I agree, it a bone disney throws to us.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't understand -- Disney ignoring fans is bad, and Disney listening to fans is bad too?

(P.S. it's not Disney, it's Lucasfilm)

8. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I guess we'll see based on how he's handled in the new canon.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Teensy Rebels premiere spoiler...

I guess we can expect Thrawn's "victory at Batonn" to be the grand finale of the novel, as it's what gets him the big promotion.

BigAl6ft6 and Taalcon like this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Implied to have set up the Ryn Network? Nah. Revelation states that it's one of several intelligence networks that she uses to obtain information, but inferring that she set it up is a stretch, and there's nothing to support the leap it takes to assume that she had anything to do with Esfandia.

I guess I can understand how the use of "'your' intelligence network" might lead to some confusion, but I also think it's pretty clear that they're merely discussing her sources. The Ryn are just one thread in the patchwork of intelligence operatives and information brokers who keep her up to date on galactic affairs.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Ah, I thought it'd be some complicated spelling, Batonn it is.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Batonn

This states it was Admiral Thrawn vs Insurgents, might be wrong information... Between the rank of admiral and grand admiral, is fleet admiral. I wonder if he was promoted one or two ranks. This is the admiralty.

Grand Admiral (Thrawn)
    Fleet Admiral
    Admiral (Konstantine)
    Vice Admiral
    Rear Admiral

I also wonder, if only grand admirals are given the white uniforms. There is a chance fleet admirals can, however I doubt it and it'd be stupid if so. Also I hope they give the grand admiral uniform their epaulets back, I dislike the change where the uniform just have two yellow colored lines close to the shoulders, and not real epaulets.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net.../Thrawn.JPG/revision/latest?cb=20091108222602

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...-width-down/180?cb=20160905160330&format=webp

Look at the yellow section of the shoulders, look at the difference. Removing the epaulets is like removing some of their supremacy.

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You're absolutely right, this is a gratuitous assumption. I fixed it.

13. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

How can I be able to edit things on the site? And can basically ANYONE do it? I doubt anyone could, because people could just mess up the site. I'm always at wookiepedia, so it'd be cool if I could correct some mistakes whenever I'm there.

14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It's a wiki, it works just like wikipedia. anyone can edit most articles, unless they're locked by a mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Yeah but, I'm often there, and there is always correct information, why hasn't a troll for instance come and messed it up if anyone can edit it?

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    That kind of thing happens all the time. But the response is usually swift.

17. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Really? I'm seriously a lot on the site and I've never seen any of these troll-changes.

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    For example, this, this, and this just happened today. And I only looked for a minute or so.

19. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    The only thing removing the epaulets gets rid of is their own sheer tackiness. They're ugly and have no place on an Imperial uniform for ANY reason.

20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, I think part of what makes Daala better in "Darksaber" is simply the contrast with the warlords ruling what's left of the Empire. Compared to them, even Daala doesn't look bad - at least she's fighting for something more than herself.

The fact that in the process, she turns into a politician who does the remnants of the Empire a huge favor is another point in her favor.

Then again, I've always been a "Darksaber" apologist.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't see how they're tacky. They're traditional and formal. And very military.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Now that Chiss have pupils, are epaulet fights going to replace "He's Duros" as the thing that comes up whenever Thrawn does?

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Someone start a thread!

24. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I like how the current Thrawn epaulettes sort of invoke Union rank insignia from the American Civil War.
    [​IMG]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Attentes/shoulder straps are also seen in current U.S. army uniforms too.

See:

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad and Cracian_Thumper like this.