main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, we do have the Pride & Prejudice & Zombies series. Maybe we could have a "Pride & Prejudice & Lightsabers" in a similar vein - same story, Star Wars trappings?

SWpants, jakobitis89 and PCCViking like this.
  2. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Personally I think Dickens and Star Wars would make some interesting combinations - imagine Anakin Twist, or Obi-Wan being disturbed on Tattooine by ghosts of the Force Past, Present and Yet To Come.

Or if Dickens isn't your cup of tea, Palpatine: Or, The Modern Prometheus has potential as well. Or Dracula, with Yoda as Van Helsing. The Strange Case Of Mr. Skywalker and Darth Hyde.

... I may be overthinking this a little.

3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    New very interesting interview of T.Zahn about Thrawn, and about the book!! [face_dancing]

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    It makes me smile that Zahn keeps reminding him that we're in canon, not "new canon", even though I always refer to it as the latter. I am trepidatious about EVERYTHING in the Disneyverse, but is anyone is going to convince me to lower my guard, it's Zahn.

5. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    For me it will always be "new canon/Disney canon"... I just can't see it as the "one and only" canon, even if I would like too, I could not.

I'm glad that he says he is not "rewriting" the character, just filling a blank period of his life we did not know yet about.

vncredleader and revan772 like this.
  6. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    New synopsis for Star Wars: Thrawn

7. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    Great find! I was hoping to read about Thrawn's early life in the Chiss Ascendancy (like in Outbound Flight), but this sounds good too. Hopefully we will get a lot of Empire politics. :)

8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    This Eli Vanto must be the Pellaeon type Watson POV figure through which Thrawn's story is told, very interesting to see how that plays out and if that character makes it out of the novel alive.

Thrawn's ambitions...that's gotta a reference to the Empire of the Hand.

Darth Caliban and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Or in this case what turns out to be the first order.

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  10. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Very possible. Though I wouldn't dismiss a more traditional version existing in canon as an alternative Imperial successor state, if they wanted to go for a more varied ideological environment. We'll have to see which way the cookie crumbles in the next Aftermath book, see if there's much imperial in-fighting.

I'd also be really curious to see if any other Grand Admirals show up in this novel. I believe Pablo confirmed that there are a few of them operating at the same time, as in Legends.

11. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Yep. Pablo said there is no reason to believe that Thrawn is the only one.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    12 it should be again. 12 is a perfect #.

Darth Caliban and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Soo....

Thrawn/Pryce confirmed?

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    For the love of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barriss_Coffee and Darth Basin like this.
  15. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

What do you mean? if you mean a romance, I really hope not, I don't want to see any romance about Thrawn, sounds too much like a bad fanfiction. And in Rebels they do not seem to be romantically close, just a professional relation.

And that Eli Vanto... I really hope it's a Pellaeon-like and not a girl, and especially not a Maris-like...

Darth Basin likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Kinda dissapointed was hoping this book would be outside the dark times timeline. We've had like 5 books published there in 3 years. I was hoping to see something post-ROTJ.

Darth Basin likes this.
  17. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

They said since the beginning that this book would be about the rise to power of Thrawn within the Empire, so, no surprise there.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh. I was unaware of that.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am so, so glad that Thrawn's protégé isn't Pelly.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Admit it, you miss him.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to know more about the history of his species. If he met the Killiks, Vagaari, Yuuzhan Vong etc. or not.

22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

I still can't get what is with you and Pellaeon. You like Rae Sloane though in characterization she ain't too far removed from Pellaeon. [face_whistling]

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I miss him like I miss a rash on my posterior.

She's completely different. She's an the opposite of everything I found wrong in Pelly, while being in the same situations. She ordered the retreat from Endor, yes, but she was the ranking admiral and had the right to make that fair call. She led the Imperial fleet after Endor, but she fought hard to keep the Empire together instead of being the cause of warlordism. Above all, she's competent instead of cowardly and she doesn't make excuses.

RAE SLOANE is the ultimate anti-Pellaeon.

La Calavera likes this.
  24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    According to Zahn he wrote this novel in a way so that it would kind of work both for the new canon and if you read it in relation to the Legends stories, and I don't believe Pellaeon met Thrawn before the events of Heir to the Empire, did he? That's one reason why he might not be involved.

I'm more surprised that Parck isn't the POV/Watson guy for this. They mention that Thrawn was saved from exile, so I guess that means Mist Encounter kind of happened in some form?

25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Thryce?

Darth Caliban, Vthuil and Cynical_Ben like this.