main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I've honestly stopped caring about insignias.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's actually a pleasant surprise that Rebels and the video games are using the old EU grand admiral insignia. I'd of course figure the book cover would've, but I think Rebels was driving the character's use in canon.

But yeah, I'm not fussing the pin. It's obviously stylized.

Hasbro, on the other hand, totally messed up its paint jobs early in the run. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

They changed it afterwards, right?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They fixed it but it looks like there was an entire run of figures that went out to stores that were wrong. So you'd have to check to see if your store had the fixed or incorrect one. And the box art only had the incorrect one.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    None of my local stores have received any Thrawns, correct OR incorrect :(

6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Same here... it seems that it doesn't cross the Atlantic.

The shops here prefer buying again and again the characters of TFA than the ones of Rebels, that's sad. So there is an overload of Kylo Ren and no Thrawn, no Kanan, no Hera...

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Seems like he got it done pretty easily. Booster must be pissed.

8. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

He would be even more pissed if he knew it was HIM who brought the Imperials on that jungle planet where they found Thrawn :p

PCCViking likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

It's not even paint, though; it looks like it's an actual design in the hull.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I wonder if Zahn will reveal that Thrawn designed the Chimaera himself. Thrawn's usually only the art aficionado, but it might play into his character to be an excellent artist himself.

And I've just got this feeling will get some scene where Zahn will have Thrawn just enjoy some Imperial or Old Republic art, and treat it as less of a pure deduction and more just a quick admiration and curiosity for GFFA culture.

Iron_lord and Darth Caliban like this.
  11. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    They've established a bigger connection between Thrawn and the Chimaera in canon than there was in Legends, what with all of his personal troopers bearing some kind of Chimaera insignia, so who knows where it comes from. Could be a Chiss legend, or something.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  12. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Why do you think I included that detail in my fanfiction "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"? I am of the opinion that a chimaera (thank you Greek mythology for it!) is the symbol for House Mitth and as such stands for Thrawn's Chiss heritage.

13. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    But the ship was already called Chimaera before Thrawn got it. But maybe they will change that. The Chimaera insignia is just maybe something to show they're part of his fanclub :p

14. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    yeah if I remember right, Pelly "inherited" the ship at endor when his captain was killed and he left the battle with the chimaera to fight another day.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I think given the use of the symbol now, I think it's being changed to be his personal ship and his personal symbol. Like how Alexander the Great and Augustus had the Sphinx as their signet ring, for Thrawn it's the Chimaera.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.
    That's one way to describe mutiny and desertion.

16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Either way, it worked out.

17. QuiQuog

QuiQuog Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2017
    Hi everybody. First post on this forum. I have a question about this upcoming Thrawn novel. I've not figured out yet how to search a particular thread and I don't really want to go through 74 pages to see if this has already been answered, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. Is Thrawn going to be a prequel book for Ep. VIII? I usually find out about the prequel novels after I've already seen the movie and I'd like to get a jump on it this time. Although it may be moot since I'm going to be reading it before the movie comes out anyway. If it isn't, is there a prequel novel coming out?

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Mutiny and desertion? Wasn't Pellaeon a captain by that point? And I certainly don't recall him ever defecting to the warlords until AFTER The Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire.

19. ImperialEwok

ImperialEwok Jedi Padawan

Mar 16, 2017
    I wish I could go to Celebration. I want one of those pins.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  20. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Simple answer? No. It's more of a direct prequel and tie-in to Thrawn's appearance in Rebels

More complicated answer? With the way Story Group has been coordinating things, it is possible and even likely elements that will be relevant in further films and projects will find seeds placed in Thrawn. Especially with the namecheck of Thrawn in relation to a particular mission and task mentioned in the novel Aftermath: Empire's End, it's very possible this book will tie in to the post-ROTJ story in concepts that may resonate in The Last Jedi. For example, the director of The Last Jedi gave some input into the political situation presented in the novel Bloodline which may be explored more in TLJ. But should you expect Thrawn to be an explicit tie-in book like Catalyst was to Rogue One? No. If such a book will be coming out, it hasn't been announced yet.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope - apparently it ends shortly before Thrawn first appears in Rebels. Thinking of it as a prequel to the Rebels Season 3 premiere "Steps into Shadow" might work.

I haven't heard yet if there will be a "Journey to The Last Jedi" project the way there was "Journey To The Force Awakens". The closest thing to a TFA prequel novel was Before The Awakening. Catalyst was pretty much a Rogue One prequel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Before_the_Awakening

22. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007

Endor was an absolute disaster, mostly thanks to Palps. If he didn't feel a need to stay in a continuous battle meditation to coordinate his forces, when he died, they could have still probably won. Pelly knew the battle was lost when the executor crashed into the death star, and he's not the only captain who decided that discretion was the better part of valor... or have you forgotten Captain Ait Convarion?

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  24. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Ooooh thanks for that! Thrawn's point of view! that's the first time we see this!!

and the fans of Palpatine will be happy :p

(Eli about Palpatine):
    "Intelligence, knowledge, power. And, even more than with Thrawn, a sense of complete mastery over everything around him"

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Interesting. The Thrawn POV scene is in the Trajan font -- I'd recognize that lettering style anywhere!

edit: Rest of the excerpt is fantastic. Vana's right, Palpatine is handled very well. I also liked the connection with Rebels and the Emperor's holoimages.

Yep, this is going to be a great read. Can't wait.