main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    What do you mean, the connection with Rebels?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The TV show had Palpatine do the thing where his official portraiture is somewhat idealized compared to the way he actually looks. Nice to see someone surprised at Palpatine's actual appearance. We saw something similar in Lost Stars, too.

(It still makes zero sense to me given Palpatine's speech about being scarred and deformed in ROTS, but ship's sailed on that I guess. Suppose they altered recordings of the Empire's proclamation over time.)

Darth Caliban and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Ah, ok. Yes in the movie he shows to everyone that he was scarred by the Jedi during their attack... but he was far away and maybe no one has clearly seen the details of his face back then :p

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

vncredleader

"The attempt on my life has left me emotionally scared and mentally deformed. But I assure you, my resolve has never been stronger."

:p

vncredleader likes this.
  5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Man I really wish we just stuck with the idea that he let everyone know about the scars. I like the idea that he would show them off cause as a Sith he wants to have a constant visible reminder of his suffering. You could see it as a reminder that he was strong enough to last through the near death experience cause he is stronger and more deserving of life.

6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Maybe people would think that he did facial/healing surgery after the attack or something, that's why they would find it normal to see him looking better on holovids afterwards.

Darth Caliban and vncredleader like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, for those interested, here's another Thrawn-related Star Wars Celebration exclusive. This one is more properly a Rebels tie-in than a book tie-in, but this seems the place for it regardless.

[​IMG][.

8. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    That's what I was thinking too. After all, there's a reason Palpatine's the apex predator of the galactic ecosystem.

Darth Caliban, Vialco and JediFett10 like this.
  9. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    So does it mean this will be released for Celebration, then afterwards sold in other shops, or is it JUST for Celebration and it means a lot of dishonest people will buy a lot at Celebration then sell it at an abusive price on Ebay?

It would be stupid commercialy-speaking for Funko Pop to sell that popular character only at one convention.

The rest of the world is always forgotten when it comes to Star Wars most of the time, I became used to it...

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The story group needs to get that straightened out. Because Palpatine appeared before the entire Senate with his yellow eyes and scarred face when he claimed the title Emperor. And that session was broadcast across the Galaxy.

"The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed. But I assure you my resolve has never been stronger!"

The Emperor himself proclaims that he was scarred by the Jedi attack and he is now deformed.

And as we can see, he still made Holonet Broadcasts with no digital editing of his features.

[​IMG]

I don't know where this whole idea of Palpatine editing his image to appear normal came from but it doesn't jive with George Lucas's vision of the character. Palpatine made a point of showing his scarred features to the public as evidence of the "Jedi treachery". He didn't make any attempt to hide them from the start.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Here's what the Propaganda book says about that:
    Given that the events of the Annual take place after Yavin, that makes sense.

The book also says that, in the early Imperial era, crafted holograms or idealized portraitures of Palpatine in his prime became the face of the Emperor "more often than not."

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    It would be kind of fantastic if Palpatine himself made some of these idealized portraits.

Day 1 as Emperor, painted twenty self portraits. :p

Barriss_Coffee, WMIRTUTSF and SWpants like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

He's the Emperor, not Gilderoy Lockhart. :p

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's very Augustus to be honest. It's worth noting that the Thrawn excerpt has it appear as if it's a naturally aged Palpatine, which is consistent with Rebels, as opposed to a Republic-era portrait.

In any case I like the idea, I just think it runs contrary to the film -- and I had thought one of the (rightly) guiding philosophies of storytelling lately was to avoid retconning the films.

Vana yeah I'm disappointed. I mean, I'm going to be at SWCO and am going to try my darndest to get one because it's Thrawn dangit but I just dislike con exclusives because of the reasons you mentioned: scalpers buying them up to sell to fans at inflated prices.

I can understand it when con exclusives are weird variants of whatever, but Thrawn is hugely popular and it's gonna suck that only a limited audience can get him. I figured he would be a con exclusive given the timing of the convention and the fact we hadn't seen him yet, but it's still disappointing.

I'm told limited quantities of convention exclusives are sold online at places like Toys R Us the midnight before the convention (April 12). No idea if they ship to France or what that'd cost though. :(

Edit: confirmed, Thrawn is a shared exclusive with TRU. Quantities may not be as limited as feared. But if you're not going to the con, there's your chance.

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2017/03/24/funko-pop-celebration-shared-exclusive-guide/

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. ImperialEwok

ImperialEwok Jedi Padawan

Mar 16, 2017
    I need that Thrawn pop. Hopefully I'll be able to get ahold of one. Why must all the cool Thrawn toys be hard to acquire? I still haven't seen the Thrawn figure in stores yet :/

16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I need to watch the Rebels finale at some point this weekend.

17. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Thanks for the link, but I doubt they ship it at an international level. I guess that there will be very limited quantities in some Toy'r'us and in USA only... I wonder if the exclusive Thrawn will be just an "exclusive design of Thrawn" and if an alternate version, more common, will be released. That's what they should do, I think. Limiting the offer for such a popular character benefits only to the dishonest people selling them on Ebay for 10 times its price...

18. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I guess his portrayal would be altered after some time has passed. Maybe after a few years.

By the way, i really like how this reminds me of the Coruscant Mission in Dark Forces with the statues of Palpatine.

19. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Makes sense, to cut down on counterfeiting. I did watch most of the season fianle of Rebels, it was awesome. I was listening to Tchaikovsky and writing fan fiction at the same time, so that made it more awesome. BTW, happy Monday everyone.

20. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Can't wait to read this!

21. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Something's wrong with you. Really

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What do you mean? Do you wish me a happy Monday, or mean that it is a happy Monday whether I want it or not; or that you feel happy this Monday; or that it is a Monday to be happy on? :p ;)

23. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    All of the above, Gandalf. :)

24. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    You have failed me for the last time Disney.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Meh, there's always E-bay.