main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thrawn paperback released on tuesday

Discussion in 'Literature' started by UnshavenWookie14, Feb 1, 2018.

1. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Picked up my copy that morning and I just finished it. I REALLY enjoyed this novel. I wait for paperback releases before picking up the Star Wars novels for my collection, so this was my first reading. I had, however, had my eye on this release for a few months. It did not disappoint.

I normally prefer to sink into my novels rather than jumping in and out for a chapter here and there, so I can usually finish a SW novels in about a week. Finishing Thrawn in two days meant I was constantly saying 'alright I have to read the next chapter' every time I finished the previous. Part of this was due to the way each chapter opened with Thrawn's personal journal entry. Every chapter felt like its own individual puzzle that slowly fed you more of the pieces as it progressed. At the beginning I often found my intial prediction of outcomes wrong. I was making assumptions based on tendencies from the other SW novels, as well as traditional story telling patterns. Readers quickly learn that Thrawn's method for solving problems is unique and intricate. At first its like you're standing six inches from a painting, but like Eli Vanto readers gradually learn to back up and see the bigger picture.

Timothy Zahn did a good job of illustrating the grand admirals distinctive qualities (those of which make him such a valuable Imperial asset), as well as his individualistic nature in terms of his motivations. Rebels failed to depict exactly what made Thrawn such a feared/respected adversary, as well as his personal goals. The show was successful showing his presence he posses, but not so much the intricacies of his tactics and strategy. Having only seen Thrawn in the show prior to reading the novel, I felt like he came off as a true believer of unique talent. I saw him as being similar to Tarkin, juxt the other side of the coin (the imperial navy version). Zahn paints a completely different picture with this publication, differentiating him from any abd all other characters that has been explored in detail.

I know legends loyalist will want to quickly post that the original Thrawn novels were better, and I won't try to argue that point. I have not read them yet (I have them on my list though), but it is a very popular opinion that the original series were the pinnacle of star wars EU entries. If you've read the legends versions, I would say don't go into canon Thrawn with comparisons.That's a tall standard to judge a publication by. On the other hand, I do believe that this extremely captivating in it's own rights -- a good sign for the upcomic novels. Zahn being scheduled to release a sequel in a few months is exciting, as I would like to see more multi-book series. Up until now we just had aftermath.

What are yalls thoughts on Thrawn (both the character and novel)? What are you excited for with Thrawn: Alliances? What do you hope to see/think we will see from the grand admiral as Rebels wraps?

Personally In really looking to Alliances. With how enjoyable it was seeing Thrawn navigate the heirarchy of the Imperial Navy, I can't wait to see what comes of him now rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tarkin and Vader.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    SWpants and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
  3. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Ok thanks. I did a search before I posted but nothing came up. I think the search might be wonky when I’m using mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  5. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Hold up, why did you need to bump both of these threads, Charles? o_O

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I found the other....AFTER THIS ONE.