Thread Cap in JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by farraday, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, look at this way, one thread starts, reaches the limit and is closed. A new one starts, soon the old one is pruned and off the system freeing up that space, but since the new one is still around, the thread idea stays alive. What this is doing, is taking say one 7k thread and braking it up into three 2k threads. Two of which can be deleted, freeing up that space.
  2. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ah yes. I get it fully now. The closed threads eventually get deleted (pruned) and I didn't take that into consideration.

It still doesn't make the 7000 post threads all that worthwhile to me. :)
  3. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I think value remains where it always has, in the eye of the poster.

And sometimes the moderator who evilly closes a perfectly acceptable thread to further his own reprehensible goals.

Errr did I post that out loud? ;)
  4. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, yes you did.

And the only other forum in which this will occur is in the EUC where it has been running rather successfully for almost 6 months.

We aren't going to go and lock a thread whenever we think of it. Initially one of us will come in and give the suggestion that it might be a good idea to start thinking about a new thread, and then lock the old one when the new one is up. Eventually what should happen is what happens in the EUC now, everyone will just take it for granted, and send us along a PM saying to close the old thread as a new one has started.
  5. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I don't like this idea at all. Apparently the only real purpose is to save server space by pruning more posts. Well guess what, if a thread is that successful it should not be pruned, period. The JC has an ever-growing history, and we should try to avoid destroying that history. A 5000-post thread can't take up that great an amount of server space, anyway. I'm sure two 2500-post threads combined take up more server space than one 5000-post thread. We should look at other ways of saving server space.

In conclusion:
    Pruning large, successful threads = bad.
    This idea = bad.
  6. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Most of those threads are successful because they're chat threads. I mean that's all well and good but how many of those 5k+ post threads have an actual *purpose* besides talking with your JC friends?

The only decent chat thread worth keeping is the Golden Age Nite Owl Cafe thread, but that's my opinion, like it or not.
  7. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I've never really posted in chat threads, but I do know that it's fun to look back at what you were talking about a year ago.
  8. Jay Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I tend to agree with you, JGM, but that's mostly because I haven't really participated any of the other chat threads. We like the Golden Age Cafe because we've been a part of it forever. There are a few other chat threads that have been around for a while that hold the same value to their participants that the Golden Age Cafe holds to us. Though, I do believe the Golden Age Cafe is probably the oldest of them all that are still around.
  9. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Exactly, Jay. You said it better than I could - the Night Owl threads have been around forever. I should have said "older series" of chat threads since they're a part of the JC's history, the Night Owl Cafe threads was the only one I could think of.

I didn't mean to offend anyone who participates in the newer chat threads, if so you have my sincerest apologies. The Night Owl cafe & contemporary threads were the heart and soul of the JCC forum for a LONG time so I naturally feel partial to them.
  10. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd suggest that if liking to look back a year is a concern, that an effort should be made to archive Grand Ole Threads elsewhere. It doesn't have to be on the JC server; it can be just about anywhere.
  11. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm saving the Golden Age Cafe thread to my hard drive as we speak. I'm going to save a few others and upload it somewhere (haven't decided where yet).
  12. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    How about manually pruning the locked threads from the end side, thereby opening up more board space. That way the junk leaves, and the beloved biggee threads still have a life. By the time the old locked threads in JCC and PSA are deleted, there will be lotz of board space left.

I volunteer to take on that project, every night after work.
  13. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The point is that a lot of those threads shouldn't be deleted.
  14. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You're right Jeff, but we don't have much of a say in it. Save the threads that should be saved, and eventually we might be able to archive them if someone has the time to do so.

keo - This is already happening in some forums. It is hard to do this in the JCC because by my count (at 50 threads per page), the first page of unlocked threads is page 93 out of 98, which means that there aren't that many threads we can do that to since most of those still there are ones people want to keep.
  15. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well, kadue, as many threads that get locked daily, surely they all add up to a significant amount of space that could be opened up. We can try it and see if that helps. If anything, the forums will get a good cleanup from all the locked ones.
  16. ImperialLieutenant Jedi Knight

star 1
    " Bring back Chyren to moderate Community.

Let him scare about half of the posters away and your problem is solved. [mischief.gif] [grin.gif] "

Actually...

The real Chyren resigned 2 years ago and is living like a King in Australia...

In fact, I was going to be Chyren but the then 5th one decided to stop it all...

He said to me, "You'd make a wonderful Dread Moderator Chyren..."
  17. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Actually, I need to ammend my earlier points. They were all coming from the idea that pruning posts out of a thread starting with the oldest posts would leave only spam posts.

I realized just how irrelevent that fear is if the entire threads are spam posts. Therefore, I realized just how irrelevent that fear is with respect to JCC threads. [face_mischief]
  18. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You're right, they should be saved, but if the past week is any indication of the future, we might not have any say in when it happens or to what. This way:

1. People have warning, they can save what they want to keep from the threads, they can archive it, save it to their hard drive, whatever they want to do.

2. They will have a small active thread that is in no danger of being pruned. And people won't have to start over from scratch.

It also has the added bonus of keeping some of these groups more accessible to new people. A newe person comes in and finds a 1,000 post thread already there, they'll probably be hesitant to join. But if the thread is smaller, it isn't nearly as intimidating.
  19. jedi-girl Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think fear of not intimidating new users should be a reason to eliminate or prune venerable old threads :) I started posting in the Obi-wan thread well after 2k posts had already been made ...new users can get to know the regulars in the thread - it gives a certain amount stability to the community of users having threads like this. But if they're not going to have lots of problems with posts not showing up - then that is another issue. I think there ought to be a way to give an alert to all users that if they want to save thread to their hard drive, then they should do so or might be lost. Is there anyway to archive the posts?
  20. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So far I have SoK's Golden Age Cafe and SotS's member updates saved to my hard drive... I plan to have them uploaded and archived. If you want any other threads to be archived along with them, let me know. :)
  21. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I don't think fear of not intimidating new users should be a reason to eliminate or prune venerable old threads

Oh, that's not the reasonoing behind this, I just view it as a bonus. That wasn't something that played into the formation of this idea.
  22. jedi-girl Jedi Master

star 4
    why would that be a bonus DDH to disrupt some of the continuity of the most popular threads? it isn't going to matter because it looks like the threads are going to get pruned. and the regulars are going to come back to the new thread and start working on another 5k. but I really don't think it is that intimidating to new users, they can jump in at the end, last page on the thread.
  23. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

You're trying to address a real problem, but you're solution is all wrong. Why set a limit on valid, successful threads? If you really want to save server space, why don't you do something about the 250 Spider-man, LOTR, Harry Potter, and "I went shopping today!" threads that have about 20 posts each. That'll free up 5000 posts worth of space.

After that, you could trash every ridiculous ___by___ thread that has ever been started.

Then, why don't you delete the 927 threads asking members to put someone on their watched users lists.

Then, you could actually try sending some moderators into Community to start cleaning up the enormous piles of crap.

Setting an arbitrary limit for threads that are successful and valuable is just a bad idea, and the "easy" way out, in my opinion.

And is this thread really asking for input from the forum community, or is it a subtle policy announcement?

AYBABTU?

24. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Quite frankly on the issue of newbies being afriad of long threads, the data is on my side.

Just look at the light side thread, they restarted and immediately thier membership jumped.

And AYBABTU, memory isn't the only reason.
    Longer threads do have more glitches, longer threads do tend to have more posts congratulting themselves on the siz eof the thread instead of whatever actual discussion might be taking place. Add to this the memory issues and the fact it's just plain simpler to moderate smaller threads and the pros far out weigh the cons.
    This isn't some stunning new policy, it isn't forcing people to change, it's recognizing what people already should be doing and making sure they do it.

On the UBB threads had to be restarted regularly, granted it was because of the glitches involved, but it never seemed to hurt back then, so why is it some great problem now?
  25. gundark Jedi Master

star 4
    Put the SC in charge for a week. Watch what happens.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.