Thread Cap in JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by farraday, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. gundark Jedi Master

star 4
    SC = Brute Squad for hire.
  2. ImperialLieutenant Jedi Knight

star 1
    I once banned TheDarth...

Really...

;)

Ask anyone.
  3. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'm not impressed by your arguements, not at all.
    1. Lots of threads with "historical value" have been lost, just because this ne is yours doesn't make it special.
    2. If it was lcoked you could still lock through it until the time where it was pruned. If you had it on your harddrive you could always lookthrough it online or off.
    And most people don't look through the threads anyways.
    3. Don't worry Jeff, I'm quite ceratin most new users want want to join your little club with the attitude you have, I know I dont.

One day we may have to move off snowboards, but until then we live with what we have.
    And memory issues are not the only reason for this policy, as has been made clear.
  4. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    farraday, I have a potential compromise ... since there are only half a dozen 5K+ threads out there, why not leave them be, and implement this policy for all subsequent threads? There's no sense in making this a retroactive policy. The space these six threads take up will be alleviated by all the other threads with the 5K cap. Had there always been a cap, we would've gladly gone along with it, but to do it retroactively, and to lose a living, active history is, in my opinion ... cruel to the dedicated members who still enjoy coming to the JC.

Why are these threads special? I can't speak for the others, but the Golden Age Cafe consistently brings back members who haven't posted in months or even years. Over the months, we've even had new members "join up." So it's not as exclusionary as people might think, and we have seldom had "milestone" or "don't let this thread die!" posts.

It has almost become an institution on the JCC, one of its most recognizable threads.

Let the existent 5K+ threads stay as they are.

And Jeff ... you rock. :)
  5. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    This is a community of posters not of threads.

Do you really think those old posters would post less if the thread had 80 posts instead of 8000? You say it's the history of the JC? How often do you go and read through it, and how often do you think a new user reads through it?
    The again it's already been made clear your group doens't particularly care for new users.

And no, I'm not willing to make exceptions.

True, your one thread might not make a difference memory wise, but exactly what am I suppsoed to tell a new group when thier thread is closed around 5000 and yours is still going at 9k. That you're special because you've been here longer?
  6. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    I personally read through it quite often. And others do as well. We are not hostile to new members, in fact the first line states that's not what the thread is about. And "new" users have joined quite often and are always given a cordial welcome and are treated with respect.

The point of keeping the six 5K+ threads as they are is that these threads were made because there was no 5K limit. To retroactively destroy a thread that's been around for almost two years when it causes no harm to the system is just a flagrant lack of concern for dedicated members of the JC who obey the rules and enjoy the posts of fellow Star Wars fans.

If someone's thread cut off at 5K and they saw someone else at 9K, the explanation would be that the 9K thread was created before the limit was set in place.

These six threads are not better than any other but they are special for having such dedicated members who have made them a living active history.
  7. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    The GTKY was special for having an active history.
    That didn't stop it from being locked and deleted.
    And your threads are not being destroyed, you could still read them and reminisce. You could do that as is, if they were locked or if you had them saved to your hard drive.
  8. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't know why the GTKY was deleted; if it was an active history, it should've remained, in my opinion.

The point is that these threads are active histories that grow with time, and there is no reason to delete them if they cause no harm to the server as a whole. If they were locked, they'd eventually be pruned. Saving them to hard drives would disrupt the process of posting to a thread that's a growing history.
  9. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    All threads die SoK.

All of them.
    But this isn't even the death of the thread.
    Threads are ideas, concepts.
    The Cafe continues, the Cafe grows.
    The idea keeps going, some particulars are lost. The history of the JC is where it always has been, in the memories of the people who care.
  10. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    I've seen plenty of threads deleted in my time here. The point is when. If these six were a memory risk, then I'd understand. If they'd devolved into a flamewar, I'd understand. Even if they were reduced to constant posts of "up!" I'd understand. But what you have are six threads that people still love to post to that are a living history. There is no sense in closing threads that are still vital and part of a growing history.
  11. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    farraday, your argument is degenerating rapidly. The history of the JC exists in the minds of the people who care? Indeed it does, but memories fade, and only by saving these threads can our memories be stopped from fading completely. I've found hundreds of old UBB threads, and some of them have brought back to mind great fun that was had in years past that I would not have remembered otherwise. Don't say it's not a big deal that threads are deleted. It's tragic that so many great threads are gone. Let's not make matters worse. And the reason I used the GAC as an example is because that's the thread I'm familiar with. I feel the same way about keeping the other threads that are already over 5000. I disagree with this entire policy, but if it is implemented I don't see what possible harm could be done in allowing the threads currently over the limit to keep going.

I had thought that member-mod relations were improving here, but your stubborn, uncompromising attitude in this thread leads me to question that.
  12. Debo Chosen One

star 5
    The decision to cap threads won't work, farraday. I don't know who came up with the idea, but it's a farce.

The problem is not how big certain threads become, it's how many little nuisances of threads are allowed. Every day, tons of redundant threads get started, and most of them survive easily.

Do something about them.
  13. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    AS far as I'm concerned this discussion is over.
    Starting from tomorrow threads over 5k have 1 week to start anew. After a week any thread over 5k will be locked.
  14. Debo Chosen One

star 5
    A cop-out.

You're a lousy mod, farraday.
  15. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Have all the mods even agreed to this? I doubt it. This kind of attitude is disgusting. I hate to break it to you, farraday, but just because you have colors it doesn't mean you own the JC.
  16. Son of Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Sounds like the mods as a whole have already made their decision. farrady was just making this thread to inform the community. It's nice to know that some things don't change around here.
  17. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    We do care, you just don't realize you're not in the majority on this decision.

Umm, I hate to break this to you, but that's a rather poorly constructed statement, farry. While I'm not complaining about the removal of these threads, I think you should drop your attitude and actually listen to SoK, Jeff42, and others who have an argument. They might not be in the "majority" but they do have valid points.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure they respect your decision but you're not respecting their opinions. That's what a good moderator does. The least you can do is acknowledge the fact that they like having their threads around, even though those threads probably won't be postable for long.

I'm not questioning your authority or moderating skills (*ahem* Debo) but I think you should take some of these things into consideration the next time you're in charge of a situation like this. If you want the other members' respect, you have to earn it by being professional and courteous, which hardly describes you right now.

18. Pyrus Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm still waiting for the admins to follow through on their promise to delete the Your JC Community forum. I demand action!
  19. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Okay, from my stand point, here's the deal.

Yes, the amdins have agreed on this, it was farrady's idea, he ran it past us, no one came with any debate agianst it and we all veiwed it as a pretty good idea.

There is a situation going on right now. Snowboard has told us to cut back on the amount of space we use on the server. And basically, if we don't, they'll do it for us. We saw this last week, when a number of large threads got pruned with no warning. This is an idea that got brought up as a way to counteract those things.

Yes, it sucks, yes it blows chunks. Deal with it. What's more important to the JC? Its past, or its future? This isn't that big of a deal here people. We're not telling you to stop talking about things or give up these groups. We're just talking about you making them easier ont he system. Why is that so damned difficult? If you want to save the history, then by god save. Put in on your hard drive, a zip disk, start a goecities account and transer everything over there. The point is, you people have to make some effort on this.

Snowboard doesn't seem to be compromising much on this. They have no money and they're sure as hell not going to use what they do have to help us.

Sure, we coud let everything go the way it is, not institue this, and just go about our busuiness. But then one day, you're going to log on and find your precious threads pruned and deleted with no warning. Snowboard will get rid of it, without telling us,a nd there won't be anything we can do. Then all your speeches about history and memories go straight down the drain. This way, at least you'll still have a thread to post in, you'll still have something there.

If you people are so concerned with all these memories, do something to save them in a place that isn't here. Take allthat time you spend reading through the old posts and copy them to a new location. If you care that much about these things, I don't think that's too much to ask of you all.
  20. Debo Chosen One

star 5
    Why not delete more redundant / spam threads instead, I ask once again.

Perhaps it helps if I do it in JC mod speak:

"Hell, why not delete more redundant / spam threads that take up a lot of space instead? God, it's not that hard to understand. It's not a big deal, people, save the drama. Get over it."

21. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Why not delete more redundant / spam threads instead, I ask once again."

It's simply not enough to solve the JC's space problems.
  22. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    How big are redundant threads, and threads that get closed for spam? Not big at all. Rarely do they get bigger then 20 posts. Sure we could go through and delete all thousand of them, and in the end, it may free up as much space as one or two of these larger threads.

Yes, let's get rid of all the idiots in communtiy. Define idiot for me. In a way that every single person here can agree with. Yes, let's make this place the ost unwelcome place on the internet for Star Wars talk. Let's make so you can only post here, if you're "cool" like the rest of us. I think that's the best attitude to have, that'll get us so much good press, all the other sites will be falling all over themselves to love us.
  23. Pyrus Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, so let's lock 5 threads and in six months they'll drop off the edge of the forum and this will solve the problem?

I demand that community be wiped out or Lord Bane's resignation for getting my hopes up!
  24. Debo Chosen One

star 5
    Then I can only conclude that some people have made a mess of it.
  25. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, snowboard is going down the tubes. There is nothing we can do about that. Unless of course you happen to be a millionaire and want to buy them out and fund them completely.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.