Thread Cap in JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by farraday, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Riley Man Jedi Master

star 5
    The only real question was who deleted them. There were several threads that talked about what happened to the threads over in TPM forum. The gist of it was the database had grown over 15GB, and someone (whether it was the server owner, Snowball, or whatever, you can simply replace "server owner" with whoever it was in my statement) went in and deleted a bunch of stuff. The way it was done, it looked like the person doing it didn't much care which threads they were deleting. They just deleted a bunch of big threads to save a few dozen or few hundred MB. That's why I think it was just some techie who has direct access to the server.

At any rate, in the long run, clearly this policy will eventually save space. Anyways, if you seriously wouldn't have preferred a diplomatic approach to the pissy attitude we got, you're a tough customer. :p

Edit: Eh, this thread is going so fast it's gonna be one of the threads that becomes an issue. ;) My post is sort of in response to Jeff 42.
  2. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "For any of you not paying attention, we're are heading towards episode 2."

I had no idea. I thought we were all waiting for Star Trek: Nemesis. :p

"Recieving 10000 posts a day is now the norm instead of the exception. Some days we get over 100 new UIDs. A policy of capping threads should be started now, before there are 20 threads over that size."

You do realize how rare 5,000+ threads are? There is no indication that a newbie rush will equal larger threads... if anything, it'll mean more smaller threads that will sink to the bottom.

3. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight

star 6
    Exactly, SotS. In fact, I'm guessing that 90% of all threads ever created in the history of the JC have less than 50 replies.

4. farraday Jedi Knight

star 7
    I disagree SotS.

For one you're forecasting this from what happened on the UBB, since large threads dont have all the problems here they had on the UBB theres no natural limit on size.

For another Newbies learn from example, tell me, what do you think the AotC waiting thread with it's 60000 post teaches them? If the dark lords and Light side had not restarted we'd have 7 5k threads right now, from what I've seen the singles thread and the outcasts would soon join that number.

We are getting an increase in large threads and it will grow worse.
  5. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    "For one you're forecasting this from what happened on the UBB, since large threads dont have all the problems here they had on the UBB theres no natural limit on size."

Wait, is it just me, or have we been on Snowboard for 21 months already? I think that's plenty of time to forecast based on the current board software.
  6. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "since large threads dont have all the problems here they had on the UBB theres no natural limit on size."

And that's a bad thing? It's one of the few things Snowboard has over UBB... we should be grateful for it.

"For another Newbies learn from example, tell me, what do you think the AotC waiting thread with it's 60000 post teaches them?"

Maybe the same thing that I learned from reading "Hello" all those years ago: The JC can be a really fun place at times. But it looks like the newbies of the future won't get to see a thread like that again.

7. farraday Jedi Knight

star 7
    Jeff, a star wars movie hasn't come out while we've been on snowboard. It took us 7 months or so to reach a million posts, now it takes a month or so.

Things are speeding up, growing faster.
    It's there all around you, just look!
  8. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yep. So put your effort into addressing the real issues instead of into picking on a few successful threads.
  9. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight

star 6
    epic's 70,000 post thread is the largest thread in JC history, but it's also the only thread in AOTC SA with over 5,000 posts.

It's not supposed to teach them anything, it's just a hangout for members to express their anxiety for AOTC.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to set a limit in which only a handful of threads actually achieve (I may sound like I'm contradicting myself in an earlier post, but I was talking about the cap itself, not the level it was intended to be set at - just wanted to clear that up). Set a cap at a slightly lower level, like 3,000 or something. There still aren't *that* many threads with 3,000 but those threads are far more commonplace than those with 5,000.

Finally, how do you know it'll get worse? I'd be willing to bet that a year from now (without a cap, this is hypothetical) there'll be like 20, maybe 30 threads with 5,000 posts in existence. Still very few in contrast to the rest of the threads.

Sorry farry, but I'm with SotS for this. Like I said earlier, the thread cap will be useful, but I think a more careful study should have been conducted before you made the proposition (which is now an inevitable reality).

If you worked at Olympic Stadium in Montreal (for the lay person - the baseball stadium with very, very low attendance) as a beer vendor and had to sell at least 10,000 beers a game all season, you'd lose your job probably before the end of April. It averages only a few thousand fans a year, and you'd be lucky to sell half that amount of beers on a typical day.

My words of advice to you: Keep it real. :)
  10. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "It took us 7 months or so to reach a million posts, now it takes a month or so."

There will be many more posts spread over small threads than there will be posts in 5,000+ post threads. Do you plan to delete everything, then?

"Things are speeding up, growing faster.
    It's there all around you, just look!"

OMG, it's the end of the world!
  11. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    "Let's just say that the admins don't exactly have a good track record for a lot of folks."

We aim to please. Pass the...nevermind. ;)

"Wow, Bane, you sound like you just absolutely can't wait to start nuking fanfic.
    "

I love FanFic and have three active FanFics so don't question my loyalty to the second forum I began posting in in 99. I love that place. I don't want the good stories to go, but they have to if they are old. It's a space problem that we cannot avoid. Yes, people have been deleting threads in there, but they are the fat threads; we have yet to tackle the fat. Julie and Mr. P and I will handle that. Hard as it may be.

"Speaking of mods, where have they gone?"

We're here, but have other things to attend to; don't expect everyone to drop their regular activities to participate in this debate. It's arrogant.

"The mods need to be willing to put in the effort to come up with a viable solution to the problems instead of making a worthless policy change like this that will only serve to upset members"

I don't care if the members try to burn my house. I am doing what I can to preseve the forums until a move is viable. What, you want to ******ing argue that? Go ahead, but we care about the JCC, despite the crap theat invades and is perpetrated in it. I love that place, but it needs to be pruned. Things need to take place or ******* will go down w/o your opinion and we do not want that.

The real problem is spam. But no regular user seems to want to solve that. [face_plain]

"The way it was done, it looked like the person doing it didn't much care which threads they were deleting."

That was Snowboards and their decision; the mods did not vote or decide on that voluntarily. Don't put false accusations on our door. It is ill appreciated.

I'm running out of beer. I hate to do that. Let me continue. ;) Don't drink; it pollutes the mind.

Greg - hey, bud. How goes it?

I know the PSA has few monster threads, but this policy is aimed at the JCC first, other places later. We need to maintain a sort of order as the newbies come in and letting board errors accumulate (we receive emails every day about it) and keeping threads that promote old members over new members - it isn't cool, man. We are an egalitarian board that wants new people to feel at home and how can they if a 19,383 post thread ignores them when they want to join?

Bad form, folk, bad form.
  12. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight

star 6
    Lord Bane Hey man! Everything's cool, I'm just spending too much time in this thread - I really need to get out. ;) What's new with you?
  13. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "We are an egalitarian board that wants new people to feel at home and how can they if a 19,383 post thread ignores them when they want to join?"

I see this as a myth that has been blown out of proportion. Is there any proof that these threads ignore newbies? There have been many newbies who have posted to The Golden Age Cafe, some who have become regular posters. And I'm sure threads like the countdown thread in SA have had their fair share of newbies.

Listen, when I was a newbie, I felt right at home here when there were huge threads like "Hello", "What do you look like?" and "What's in a name?" around. And that was when there were no pages, so you had to wait minutes for those large threads to load. We don't have those limitations now, but we still do have these large threads that can be a lot of fun. Why cheat the newbies out of that?
  14. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Um, Riley Man was definitely not accusing you guys of anything. Put that quote in context.

It seems pretty obvious to me that farraday is supporting this idea and unwilling to change it not because it's good but because it's his.
  15. Herman Snerd Jedi Master

star 6
    Yes, Bane, I know you post in Fanfic.

It was just a little hard to detect the love when you said:

Pruning will probably become a reality in FanFic...with a vengeance!! ;)

You came off as a little eager there.

We're here, but have other things to attend to; don't expect everyone to drop their regular activities to participate in this debate. It's arrogant.

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Apparently I left off the " ;) "

I'm running out of beer. I hate to do that.

Me too. That's why I always keep a couple cases of homebrew in the basement. :D
  16. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight

star 6
    Beer is good, ya. I always get a few Keystones at parties. ;)

But I really feel like having a Smirnoff Ice now more than anything, though. :D
  17. Pyrus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [image=http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/pint1.gif]
  18. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    My housemates just cut me off. [face_laugh] But anyway.

Like I said I love FanFic and do not like the pruning that will probably take place, but my personal opinion does not count as policy. We need space - lebensram ;) for you history majors - and the JCC, PSA and FanFic are the forums that space is garnered from.

I am sorry that you thin farraday is dancing on the grave of big post threads. He is not; do not wrongly align him with such threads. He's a good mod that is looking out for the betterment of the forums. Please, understand where he is coming from.
  19. darthmomm Jedi Master

star 4
    Ya know....when you mess with the origional formula of something that is succesfull....it is NEVER better.

Anyone remember the "new coke"?

If you dont like a thread....if you think it is crap....dont read it...let it fall into the abyss.

What is the problem?
  20. Riley Man Jedi Master

star 5
    Lord Bane, my full quote actually read as follows: The way it was done, it looked like the person doing it didn't much care which threads they were deleting. They just deleted a bunch of big threads to save a few dozen or few hundred MB. That's why I think it was just some techie who has direct access to the server.

;)

Anyways, farraday has come along and indicated that this post cap won't be the only measure. He said A faster pruning deadline would probably also be set up and that's sort of what I was looking for in addition.

I've actually suggested in the Sanctuary that we'll start archiving at 2000 posts now instead of 5000, and I hope others will do the same. It'll be alot easier to archive at 2000 than it is 5000, and maybe even help save a little more space.
  21. Wattowatta Jedi Master

star 4
    Look, farry, I'm sure you've got the best interests of this place in mind, but there's a better way to go around this.

I-and I believe everyone else here does-agree that Your JC Community is certainly one of the biggest problems for this board. That place is littered with spam, filled to the brim with crap. But, there are threads and points in there that do actually have meaning.

If we must prune-and hell, we definetly should-just cut the spam. There are threads from just last week that no one is ever going to touch again. Just run through the forum listing, and cut out those types of threads. That would be far more beneficial to the JC at any level than cutting out good threads that are running rather smoothly and have a purpose.

If or when Snowboard tanks, when the Episode II crowd crests, we can deal with what happens; but we can also move the good threads over to the new boards and provide a "living history" of the place for the new crowd in our new locale.

farry, Los Modos, pruning is the right choice, but cutting 5K threads when any number of crap could be shed is not going to accomplish JACK.
  22. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    As you can see in this thread, we're already working on alternatives to save space.
  23. Wattowatta Jedi Master

star 4
    That was six months ago, SotS, it's a nice option, but there are hundreds of threads that can be closed right now from only a month ago. If you want to preserve space, let's do it. But, let's actually make sure this fix does something.
  24. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I didn't say that that prune was the only alternative. I will also be looking for more recent locked or forgotten threads in the back pages that would free up space without anyone complaining.
  25. Fathead Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay then, eliminate everyone with Darth or Jedi in their name. That will fix all the problems.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.