main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Thread crapping" - what is it, and should the JC allow it?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Vertical, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I love your analogy, Ender.
    It's very inspiring.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    What Jeff posted is accurate - you can't dictate what sort of responses your thread will get. You can't start a Johnny Depp 'appreciation' thread and 'ban' anyone who has something negative to say.

Without that policy the senate would be largely redundant.

However, I see your point that excessive driven negative posting (without justification) is basically trolling - ie that would be posting "Depp sucks" repeatedly in a thread.

That shouldn't extend to someone posting "Depp's acting is wooden, and his characters are unbelieveable". That is their opinion, and subject to open critisism - the thread author could try and justify their appreciation of Depp's acting by addressing the points made by the person who hates Depp.

3. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    At the current time I post on about 16 different message boards and this goes on in about 1/2 of them. I agree with those above who hate it. To me when a person does this, it's with the explict intent to screw up the thread. Ive never understood the reasoning of going into a thread that is about something you dislike where people are carrying on a decent conversation and that you post somethign like ****** SUX!. To me thats just asking for a flaming. I sometimes think its too bad that the people that were in the thread first arent allowed to verbally toast the offender but I know thats counter-productive.

I will say that on the boards that this doesnt happen regularly the reason for the lack of it is because they are moderated very heavily. As a board owner I have to say that we dont have it going on at our place, nor do we have flaming, trolling etc. BUT our board is alot smaller and it IS moderated VERY heavily. New people know that coming in, maybe thats why we dont have it. I agree that it would be next to impossible on a board this size though.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree with malkie. It's all about how you express your opinion.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Even then though, it's a crap-shoot (pun intended).

"I think your opinion is crap" is STILL only an opinion and very difficult to moderate against in some circumstances.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Saying you think someone's opinion is 'crap' is different to saying you think someone's opinion is 'wrong'.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I definitely think that thread crapping is a problem. One big example I saw last night was a thread asking who people's favorite rap artist was and there were a few "rap is crap" posts. That adds nothing to the thread and is essentially trolling. It'd be akin to going into a thread called "Which PT film is your favorite" and saying "the PT sucks." It just isn't appropriate or necessary.

8. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    We've been seeing this alot in PT, to the point where we're really cracking down. Our policy there is that negative opinions are just fine, we have great discussions involving posters with opposing viewpoints, but where it becomes a problem is if someone just comes in for the sole purpose of bashing the PT and has nothing constructive whatever to say. We've even seen people bring in socks to do just that. Basically it is spamming at best, trolling at worst and we treat it as such.

9. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I'd agree with the Vertical, I've seen people many times on this board post

"No"

As a response to a thread.

It's just stupid and it reminds me of people chatting on clan forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.