Before Threads of the Past (JA, time travel - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin) - COMPLETE 6/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Magier, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    An update! [face_dancing]
    First of all, send me a PM when you update next, please! :)

?Doesn?t matter if I am or not,? Anakin admitted. ?The fact that we are in a civilian vessel will only buy us a little time.?

Poor Anakin. The "best pilot in the galaxy" job is never done, is it? :p

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he was aware that he had left Xanatos standing there without saying so much as saying thank-you. He suspected the older man would understand.

I like that line. :D

Sidious is gone, Xanatos is good, Padme might survive childbirth... But poor Obi-Wan! :(

Good job, Magier!

~Silverfighter

2. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    I apologize for the delay in replying. I had a few health issues going on, but things are starting to look up. Anyway, that update was well worth the wait. Tremendous job with every detail of the story. =D= As I've said before, I love stories that make me feel that I'm right there in the middle of the action and yours does that! Keep it coming! I can't wait to see what happens next!
  3. The_Slilent_One Force Ghost

star 3
    awesome fic :)

Please add me to your PM list :)
  4. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Aaaaaaah, Anakin not being mentored by Palpatine, evacuation of younglings from the Temple, advance knowledge of Order 66 -- don't we wish it could have happened this way? And I'm very glad that Qui-Gon is going to stay with Obi-Wan.

And will Anakin get to see his children???? But I guess there's still Sith business to take care of
  5. Magier Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ginger_Jedi - Thank you. I have really enjoyed writing the concept.

padawan_learner86 - I hope the twins and Jedi are spared from that.

Valairy_Scot - I am fascinated with the idea of a Chosen One who stays in the Light and is truly a force to be reckoned with in the Light, if you can't tell. I just don't think Anakin had everything he needed to be that in canon.

EGKenobi - Thanks.

laurajslr - I really thought that this would be an ultimate trial for Anakin - to face a Sith Lord and face losing everyone he cared about.

Cole_Kenobi - It wouldn't have been realistic to have the Jedi and all involved come out of this completely unscathed. I think to get out of the trap that was the Clone Wars and Order 66, there would have been casualties.

Gkilkenny - That remains to be seen.

dianethx - I think what I like when I look back at the last post, is the faith Anakin had that Qui-Gon was really there.

ratna - Thanks so much. I enjoy writing Xanatos because he is such a conflicted character. The character in the JA books seems so 2-dimensional and just plain bad, so I enjoy bringing hints of Light and conscience to him.

Fifilla - Sorry to leave this at a cliffie so long. Glad you enjoyed the last post.

Master_Tigris_Leigh - The wait is finally over.

bek - I think Xan understands Anakin more than Anakin knows. As far as Xan and Obi, there has to be a tug toward friendship there, but I don't think they are there yet. Obi-Wan more has this professional gratitude toward him.

VaderLVR - Thanks so much.

wolf_kenobi - The idea is tempting, have his padawan go through what he did. Hmmm.

Healer_Leona - Yep! I'm evil that way.

silverfighter[/b[ - You didn't really think Anakin would trust Xanatos with piloting when he is trying to deliver his wounded master to the Temple, did you?

jedidas - Glad you could feel right there in the middle.

The_Slilent_One - Thanks.

ardavenport - That's why I have taken to writing AU. I love exploring the "what-ifs" of the GFFA.
  6. Magier Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry for another long delay in posting. I am really trying to get RL under control.

Chapter 16

Cocooned in the beauty and warmth and light that was the Force, the pain of being run through with a lightsaber seemed like a distant memory, like awakening from a nightmare that was terrifying, only to barely recall it. He remembered clinging to consciousness long enough to see his padawan embrace destiny. It had been a truly phenomenal sight, and he had never been prouder of Anakin. He only wished that he had been able to hang on long enough to say that in words. Losing him would devastate Anakin.

The light brightened, a dazzling and swirling display of colors. He felt young again. Not that he was old, but he felt like a child, experiencing the awe of the Force for the first time. Then, he sensed another individual. Though there was no one to see, the presence was unmistakable and only confirmed to him that he had indeed become one with the Force.

?Master,? he whispered, somehow afraid of disturbing the tranquility of the Force. ?Am I dead??

?No, Padawan ? though, not for lack of trying.? Rich baritone laughter just as Obi-Wan remembered it drifted through the air. ?The Force is still not through with you.?

?I am dreaming, then,? Obi-Wan murmured contentedly. It was a beautiful dream, and he knew that he would be disappointed when he woke.

?Oh, I assure you, I am quite real,? Qui-Gon said.

?I do not understand? How ..??

?I was far from conventional in life. What makes you think I would be in death??

This was the Qui-Gon he remembered. Had he always been there? Had the words he had often babbled into empty air actually been heard by unseen ears? Had the times he had almost felt his mentor nearby been real? Why did he reveal himself now and not at all those other times?

?I promised Anakin that I would stay with you.? The spirit answered the unspoken question gently. ?Not that I?ve ever been far, Padawan. You know that.?

?Why have you never communicated with me before?? Obi-Wan asked.

?You are a stubborn man, Master Kenobi,? Qui-Gon replied with a chuckle. ?Perhaps more so than I ever was.?

?I wouldn?t go as far as to say that,? Obi-Wan shot back, warmly remembering many instances of such banter throughout his time as an apprentice, especially in the later years.

?I spoke, but you never opened your ears to hear,? Qui-Gon said. ?But, I knew the time would come when you would accept what you deemed impossible.?

?You ran ahead,? Obi-Wan blurted out, unable to hold back a question he had wondered about for years. ?I warned you, and you still ran ahead. Why??

?Why did you go with Anakin to face Sidious? Your foresight has always been better than mine. You had as much warning going in there as I did in Theed.?

?Anakin needed me,? Obi-Wan answered after a moment, feeling every bit of the irony of being in a master?s shoes as he added, ?And, it was the will of the Force.?

?Wonders never cease,? Qui-Gon murmured. ?I did manage to teach you something.?

An easy silence floated between the two, Obi-Wan reveling in the warmth of his master?s presence. He was distantly aware that he was likely lying in a cot at the healer?s ward, somewhere he really didn?t want to be.

?I need to thank you,? Qui-Gon finally said.

?For what, Master??

?I never thought I would ever have reason to be proud of Xanatos again,? Qui-Gon said softly.

?I am sure he would fall over dead from shock to hear you say that,? Obi-Wan answered. Images of the brief battle of Utapau, when Cody had turned his command on Obi-Wan and Anakin, slipped by quickly through Obi-Wan?s mind ?But I shudder to think of what would have become of the Jedi had we not had his help.?

?Stay in the moment, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said. There was a sadness in his voice that made Obi-Wan wonder what the vast mysteries of the Force knew. Had he seen what could have been? He began to ask, only to hear his master more firmly say, ?stay in the moment.?

?You need to rest now, and h
  7. dimyavie Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Awesome update! I loved the conversation between Qui and Obi and the last comment to Xanatos was great. Again, thanks for writing! :)
  8. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    ?Master,? he whispered, somehow afraid of disturbing the tranquility of the Force. ?Am I dead??

?No, Padawan ? though, not for lack of trying.? Rich baritone laughter just as Obi-Wan remembered it drifted through the air. ?The Force is still not through with you.?

?I am dreaming, then,? Obi-Wan murmured contentedly. It was a beautiful dream, and he knew that he would be disappointed when he woke.

?Oh, I assure you, I am quite real,? Qui-Gon said.

?I do not understand? How ..??

?I was far from conventional in life. What makes you think I would be in death??

This was the Qui-Gon he remembered. Had he always been there? Had the words he had often babbled into empty air actually been heard by unseen ears? Had the times he had almost felt his mentor nearby been real? Why did he reveal himself now and not at all those other times?

?I promised Anakin that I would stay with you.? The spirit answered the unspoken question gently. ?Not that I?ve ever been far, Padawan. You know that.?

?You are a stubborn man, Master Kenobi,? Qui-Gon replied with a chuckle. ?Perhaps more so than I ever was.?

?I wouldn?t go as far as to say that,? Obi-Wan shot back, warmly remembering many instances of such banter throughout his time as an apprentice, especially in the later years.

?I spoke, but you never opened your ears to hear,? Qui-Gon said. ?But, I knew the time would come when you would accept what you deemed impossible.?

?You ran ahead,? Obi-Wan blurted out, unable to hold back a question he had wondered about for years. ?I warned you, and you still ran ahead. Why??

?Why did you go with Anakin to face Sidious? Your foresight has always been better than mine. You had as much warning going in there as I did in Theed.?

?Anakin needed me,? Obi-Wan answered after a moment, feeling every bit of the irony of being in a master?s shoes as he added, ?And, it was the will of the Force.?

I just loved, loved, loved this conversation between the two of them. The description of the Force at the beginning was great, then connecting to his master and the warm humor they shared. Just very, very nicely done.

?Oh, Force ? I thought I had lost you,? Anakin said, pulling his chair closer while still keeping a tight grip on the baby in his other arm.

?You aren?t going to get rid of me so easily,? Obi-Wan said softly. ?So, are you going to introduce me??

?Master, this is ... Luke Skywalker.?

?Luke,? Obi-Wan whispered in his own mind. It hadn?t been a dream.

Anakin held the bundle near him. Obi-Wan pulled back the edge of the blanket.

?His sister, Leia, is in with Padme ? she?s actually sleeping for once.? Anakin began to babble, perhaps exactly as expected of a new father, and Obi-Wan noticed for the first time that his apprentice was absolutely exhausted. ?They are both so beautiful ? and Padme was so strong ??

?May I hold him??

?Umh, Master.? Anakin worried at his lower lip. ?You just woke up ? and the wound ??

?Well, I?m not going to drop him, Anakin,? Obi-Wan protested.

?Okay, okay ? but if you do, my wife will kill us both.?

Obi-Wan pushed himself up a little more, taking deep breaths with the ache that ran through his body. Bacta had healed his wounds, but they would still be sore for a while. He accepted the small bundle into his arms.

?Hello there,? he whispered as he peered down into blue eyes.

Too cute, the introduction to Luke, Anakin's worry about Padme's reaction, the "hello there."

Just bravo.
  9. ratna Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, glorious mush!!

You have brought joy to Mudville!

And just what I needed after a long night at work. I loved every word.

@};- @};- @};-
  10. Cole_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ahah. Loved this chapter!

Espeically Xanatos's last comment. lol

Poor Anakin, exhausted, aha I do believe Padme would inflict bodily harm to both of them if they dropped the newest Skywalker. lol

Love Bant, she's great. Obi-wan's conversation with Qui-gon was splendid. Well written, loved how he is proud of Xan now.

Awesome update!
  11. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Excellent and awwww so mushy.=P~
    Loved every sweet word of the post from Qui-Gon talking to Obi-Wan to his little talk with Luke, and finishing with Xanatos

Brilliant writing well done.=D=
    thanks for the PM
  12. The_Slilent_One Force Ghost

star 3
  13. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I really loved the conversation between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Left me very satisfied! It flowed beautifully and I loved that they were at peace together.

Great conversation!

And the second scene was sweet, holding Luke in his arms and talking to Xan.

Very well done!!
  14. wolf_kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great to see this updated!

I loved the conversation between Obi and Qui! Extremely well done- you did a great job capturing the banter, and the description of the Force was stunning.

The piece with Obi waking up, Anakin and Luke there.... Very sweet! :)

Very interesting conversation with Xanatos.
    "As Xanatos turned to leave, Obi-Wan smiled before calling out. ?Oh, by the way, Qui-Gon wishes you well. He said to tell you that he?s proud of you.?

Xanatos? eyes narrowed and he gave a light chuckle before walking off and muttering something about crazed Jedi on painkillers.
    " [face_laugh]
    I hope Qui is able to tell Xan that he is proud of him directly at some point.

Excellent post!=D=
  15. aliceandjasper Jedi Knight

star 1
    ?I need to thank you,? Qui-Gon finally said.

?For what, Master??

?I never thought I would ever have reason to be proud of Xanatos again,? Qui-Gon said softly.

?I am sure he would fall over dead from shock to hear you say that,? Obi-Wan answered. Images of the brief battle of Utapau, when Cody had turned his command on Obi-Wan and Anakin, slipped by quickly through Obi-Wan?s mind ?But I shudder to think of what would have become of the Jedi had we not had his help.?

?Stay in the moment, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said. There was a sadness in his voice that made Obi-Wan wonder what the vast mysteries of the Force knew. Had he seen what could have been? He began to ask, only to hear his master more firmly say, ?stay in the moment.?

?You need to rest now, and heal,? the spirit continued. ?Anakin is going to need you.?

?What could he possibly face after Sidious that would be so daunting a task??

?Raising your future padawan ? Luke??

?Luke??

?Yes, the Force is blessing you with another Skywalker.?

That was so incredibly sweet. I just loved this chapter.

Jedi on painkillers.....:oops: yes, tell yourself that. I think Xan was just a bit embarrassed and dare I say it a bit proud/happy?
  16. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    [face_dancing] I was so excited to find an update first thing this morning, and what an update it was! I truly enjoyed the conversation between Obi and Qui-Gon. I think it's exactly what Obi needed. Great job!=D=
  17. laurajslr Jedi Padawan

Great post, and well worth the wait!
    Loved the conversation between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and then between Anakin and Obi-Wan. It was like the full legacy of Masters and apprentices, especially with Luke there as well!

Xanatos' departure was brilliantly done as well!

I can't get over how much time in the Star Wars universe this story has spanned, but you've done it wonderfully!

Look forward to more!

:[:D]:

laurajslr
  18. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    That was great!

Xanatos? eyes narrowed and he gave a light chuckle before walking off and muttering something about crazed Jedi on painkillers.

[face_laugh] Perfect! =D=
  19. silverfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    Fantastic. [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]

I printed this out and was reading it while I waited for my mother to finish teaching a class, and I was grinning from ear to ear as I read it. The whole Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan scene was really cool, and Qui-Gon's last line... ((sniff)) That was good.

Anakin isn't evil! Padme isn't dea d! The twins are alive and well! Xanatos is good! Obi-Wan is healing! Why can't the movies have had such happy moments as this?! :p
  20. Sabriel_Orion Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow. I LOVE this fanfic!!! All the things that went wrong changed. And so much emotion. :D PLEASE! Add me to the PM list.
  21. bek Force Ghost

star 4
    It was good that Obi-Wan got an answer as to why Qui-Gon ran ahead even knowing the warning that his padawan had given him. Hopefully it gave Obi-Wan some closure. Also, the poor guy found out that he is to train another Skywalker. [face_laugh] Too funny! But I think meeting Luke may have put his mind at ease, at least for now. When he gets a little older, if he gets into mischief like his father, Obi-Wan may begin to wonder if he should chance it. :p

Obi-Wan/Xan interaction was perfect! :) Will there be a tug of friendship to lead them down that path? o_O

I already can't wait for the next post. Soon? [face_praying]
  22. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Awwww, that was full of mushy delight!!! [face_love] [face_love]
  23. ClaudiaR Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Awesome chapter and conversation with Qui-gon dead!
    it was a wonderful way to end the Sidius battle!
    are you planning on writing more?
    I hope so!!!
    in any universe!
  24. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have only just found this story, and have read it start to finish is a matter of less than twenty-four hours.

I'd quote my favorite parts, but I'd end up quoting the whole story, so I'll just say this. Firstly, you are a very talented writer-- you really have sucked me in, and I'm just dying to know what happens. The way you changed everything just so... I've read a lot of time travel stories, but this one is deeper than usual. It started at the beginning of the story, instead of say... at the battle of Naboo, or something to that effect. I'm also a sucker for stories where Anakin doesn't turn to the dark side. This story is complex, original, imaginative, and, most importantly, it makes sense.

I really hope this isn't a 'dead' story, and I hope you update soon. Please put me on your PM list!

Thanks,
    Jecca
  25. EGKenobi Force Ghost

star 3
    Excellent story, you have me hooked.

Thanks for the PM

Update soon please :)

EG
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.