main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Threads of the Past (JA, time travel - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin) - COMPLETE 6/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Magier, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    Another great chapter! (Yes, I'm catching up quite late, RL and all that :p)
    Lol, the work of a Jedi is never finished is it? Where anakin wasn't the death of Obi, I'm sure Luke will try his best. :D

Xanatos? eyes narrowed and he gave a light chuckle before walking off and muttering something about crazed Jedi on painkillers. [face_laugh] Great closing line.

2. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    dimyavie - I enjoyed writing that scene between Obi and Qui. There was something very peaceful about it.

Valairy_scot - I somehow pictured Qui-Gon and Obi-WAn able to just pick up where they left off. I enjoyed writing Anakin as a new father.

ratna - And that was lots of mush for me. Usually I go for more angst.

Cole_Kenobi - It seems like one big family when you look at all the crazy interactions.

Gkilkenny - It seems some mush was in order after the angst of the previous post.

The_Slilent_One - Thanks.

diane - I always like to see Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, both masters, talking as friends. As for Luke, I would like to think that had things been different Obi-Wan would have felt drawn to train him.

wolf_kenobi - I think that Qui-Gon and Xanatos will eventually have their time to make peace. It will take some time though.

aliceandjasper - I don't think Xanatos really knew how to respond there.

jedidas3 - I liked that Obi sort of had a chance to debrief what had happened.

laurajslr - I love the idea of lines with the Jedi and I think that Qui-Gon spanning down to Luke is quite a line there.

VaderLVR - Thanks.

silverfighter - I like happy endings even if I don't always write them. Glad you have enjoyed this.

Sabriel_Orion - I felt it only realistic though that not all the bad things changed. Shmi was still lost making Anakin face his dark nature and Jedi were still lost, but at least they had a fighting chance.

bek - I think friendship is a possibility.

Healer_Leona - Glad you enjoyed the mush.

ClaudiaR - I always have ideas to write. Right now, I am busy with 'Legacy' and a couple of other fics under another name, but I hope to try some new ideas as well.

Quigonjecca - I am glad it made sense to you. I was hesitant to attempt time travel as there are so many things that can go wrong and become cliched. This story isn't dead, but is at its end.

EGKenobi - Thanks.

padawan_learner86 - I completely understand about real life. Ys, Obi's work is never done.

3. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with this fic to the end. There were so many directions I could have gone from the last post but decided to end it here as I think exploring this AU universe too much would have taken away from what I wanted this story to be about.

Chapter 17

~ Almost 50 years later ~

Obi-Wan leaned heavily on a walking stick as he entered the room in the Healer?s Ward. The object of his search was resting in the room?s only cot. It stiff white linens were a stark contrast to the black sleeves of the man?s silken sleep clothes.

Xanatos was still except for the gentle rise and fall of his chest. Not wanting to disturb the man?s rest, Obi-Wan began to leave.

?Going so soon? You just arrived,? a voice still alluring even in advanced age called.

?You need your rest and I did not wish to disturb you,? Obi-Wan replied as he turned around.

Midnight blue eyes, one of the few things about Xanatos that had not changed looked back at him. They were the same as Obi-Wan remembered from his childhood. Silver had long ago chased away the man?s thick ebony locks and time had creased pale skin, but overall, he had aged well.

?The truth is ? I was warned within an inch of my life by the healers not to bother their patient,? Obi-Wan continued, earning an appreciative chuckle.

?It?s a good thing they don?t expect you to listen to them,? Xanatos replied. ?Besides, it was just a short nap. I?m awake.?

The elderly man proceeded to sit up. Obi-Wan placed an extra pillow behind him before pulling a nearby chair closer to the cot. It concerned him that just the effort of sitting up seemed to sap Xanatos? precious energy.

?I hear you were a troublesome patient in my absence,? Obi-Wan posed, adding a scolding tone to his voice that had served him well through two apprentices.

?You say that like you are always a model patient,? Xanatos bit back. ?Besides, you weren?t here to keep me in line ? how did that job fall to you anyhow??

?I think the rest of the Council made it my penance for allowing you to be treated here,? Obi-Wan replied sarcastically. ?Of course, I didn?t know you would become a permanent resident at the time. And besides, I am the only one you listen to.?

A chuckle rumbled in Xanatos? chest. ?I will give your padawans credit for trying while you were gone.?

It warmed Obi-Wan?s heart that Xanatos still referred to the two he had trained as ?padawans?. Both men were accomplished Jedi masters who had trained apprentices of their own and now sat on the Council at his side.

?Rumor has it you are considering retiring your Council seat, Master Kenobi.? Xanatos raised an eyebrow. ?I question your judgment in leaving the Council to the Skywalkers.?

?Whie will keep them in line,? Obi-Wan assured him before looking back toward the hallway. ?Are you up for some fresher air??

?Any excuse to leave this place,? Xanatos grumbled. ?It has been a while.?

?That is your own fault,? Obi-Wan chided. ?Maybe if you behaved, someone else would walk with you.?

Obi-Wan helped the former Jedi into a nearby hover chair before tucking a blanket around the older man?s legs. Xanatos had used to complain about the fuss but now seemed to just accept the pampering. Obi-Wan rested his walking against the wall before reaching to the handles to begin pushing the chair.

?I thought you would be rid of that damn crutch by now.?

?It looks like it will be with me to the end,? Obi-Wan shot back quickly. ?Apparently, I am old and my bones don?t heal like they used to.?

?All the more reason for you to stop gallivanting around the galaxy like you are still a senior padawan,? Xanatos scolded.

?Do I sense concern?? Obi-Wan asked, not bothering to hide the smile stretching across his face.

?Of course,? Xanatos replied. ?Who will take me on walks if you get yourself killed or worse, laid up in that ward yourself??

?I pity the healers if they ever had to deal with both of us in there.? The thought was, Obi-Wan had to admit, vividly amusing. ?I actually

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Stunning - and I think you wrote the perfect ending to this story.

?I actually don?t mind the walking stick,? Obi-Wan continued. ?There is a whole new generation of Jedi whom I intend to teach to value their shins in Master Yoda?s memory.? [face_laugh] I love the visual - and Obi-Wan has inherited the ankle-whack-stick. That should be passed down the generations, all right.

From a bag Obi-Wan had hung on the back of the hover chair, he pulled two cups and a bottle of fine Corellian wine before sitting on a bench next to the hover chair.

?Contraband,? Xanatos murmured approvingly.

?I picked it up on my last trip. Now aren?t you glad I went?? Obi-Wan asked smugly before raising an eyebrow. ?Word of this best not get back to the Healer?s Ward. I would rather not have another lecture on what is best for your health.?

[face_laugh] Two irreverent adults enjoying life - I love it.

And here...

?Thank you,? Xanatos said, letting out the breath he had been holding. ?It is important to me. You, Master Kenobi, will leave a proud line of Jedi masters in your wake. This is what I have to leave behind.?

?Your legacy is more than that, My Friend,? Obi-Wan reminded gently. ?None of us would be here ? none of this would be possible without your help.?

Obi-Wan smiled at the whisper along his bond with Qui-Gon. To see his two padawans as friends ? as brothers ? was more than he had ever wished for. The flutterings in the Force did not go unnoticed.

?You really speak to him, don?t you?? Xanatos asked, to which Obi-Wan simply nodded with the same content smile fixed on his face. ?Since moving to the Temple, I have begun to sense him a bit. He?s waiting for me, you know.?

... if ANYTHING shows There is death, there is only the Force - shows that the Jedi do not mourn but rejoice - this demonstrates it.

?How do feel about that??

?I look forward to finally making peace,? Xanatos replied with complete honesty. ?I am ready.?

I really congratulate you on writing an awesome story. Tight, expressive, can't-put-it-down-oh no-it's-over story. Superb.

5. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    that ending... I can only call it beautiful honestly! I
    very much ♥ it.
    It was touching and cute and it was fun that Luke was also Obi-wan's padawan instead of
    Anakin's and also that Obi decided to use his crutch to honor Master Yoda!

The conversation with Xanatos was very touching especially since they are both old and
    were in a way remebering the past and being in cahoots against the healers, it made me wonder how did they behave before Yoda's death.... especially the but about Obi not getting any younger...

and how both Skywalkers didn't want him to leave the council and his explanation about feeling somewhat as a fossil because of the changes.
    Also not wanting to have the team broken up was a very ncie piece and made me wonder about how Ani felt about his master going in solo missions or taking only his son and leaving him behind! not very happy I imagine

it was a great way to end the fic and very balanced, it gave closure but it would still allow for some vignettes to take place in between if you ever wanted or something about when Obi dies.

Which I really hope you will someday do, I would look forward very much to you writing more in any universe but this fic has earned a place in my favorites.

And this chapter at might very well be one of my top 10 Fic chapters ever!

I loved it very much!
    i should mention that it almost made me cry as it was bittersweet and not and now I have a very sad ache in my chest for what is happening as these characters were very real to me by way of your writing...
    and I am not someone who cries easily... but there were moments that made me laugh especially the visual of Xanatos and Obiwan old and escaping the healers or getting a scolding from one of them... I especially loved the implicit camaraderie and the picture i have on my mind of Anakin, Luke and the healers trying to get Xan to listen and not being able to when 2 words from his padawan brother do the trick...

lovely

one of the best ending I have had the pleasure of reading.

6. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Beautiful. I had a similar thought, but I'm not sure I could do it the same justice. Wonderful job.

7. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    very sweet and very nicely done. thank you for a lovely story from start to finish.@};-

8. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    In a way, I'm sad this was the end of the fanfic. You did an excellent job. :D I love the way you ended it though, so all is well. XD

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    You have done an excellent job with the ending
    as with the whole story.[:D]

You are an amazing writer=D=

10. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= =D= =D=
    I loved it! I loved the whole story and I loved the ending!
    Just perfect!

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story with us! [:D]

11. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Awesome fic. Absoulutely loved it. Must confess I never considered Obi with a cane, but I do feel sorry for the Jedi's shins heh heh ;)

excellent stuff :)

EG

12. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    What a beautiful ending. =D= =D= I'm in awe. Thank you for such an incredible story!

13. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Wow! This story was so amazing, with such a peaceful ending. Often times when I read storeis that end with the main characters ageing or dying, the author fails to project peace to the reader. Your ending was so tranquil. I loved it!

Bravo on an amazing story!

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the ending with Anakin as a Master and them still thinking of themselves as a team. As it should have been.

Very well done.

15. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    That was a beautiful, light-hearted ending to a wonderful fic! [face_love]

?Do I sense concern?? Obi-Wan asked, not bothering to hide the smile stretching across his face.
    ?Of course,? Xanatos replied. ?Who will take me on walks if you get yourself killed or worse, laid up in that ward yourself??
    Lol, good to see those two became great friends. Really nice touch to have Qui-Gon's padawans all teaming up. ;)

The shin-smacking passed down from Master Yoda is just brilliant :D

Those comments about never breaking up 'the team' :_| Simply wonderful. Thanks for writing. ^^

16. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    A wonderful ending to a beautiful story. =D=

I'm glad Obi-Wan and Xan became good friends. :) And I too liked that Luke and Anakin were there for Obi after Xan died. Also that Anakin wasn't ready to let go of his mentor or have him too far away.

Wonderful, wonderful story! [face_love]

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I admit, I got a little teary eyed at the ending. :_|

?I thought you would be rid of that damn crutch by now.?

?It looks like it will be with me to the end,? Obi-Wan shot back quickly. ?Apparently, I am old and my bones don?t heal like they used to.?

?All the more reason for you to stop gallivanting around the galaxy like you are still a senior padawan,? Xanatos scolded.

That was just perfect! And the ending sequence with the Skywalkers... [face_love]

=D=

18. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I just stumbled across this and oh, what a wonderful, wonderful story. This is how things should have gone, but, alas... Sir George disagrees. Anyway, I'm certainly glad I read this. Great work!

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fantastic ending.

Thanks for sharing it Magier. [:D]

20. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Oh, that was wonderful. :) I loved seeing Obi-Wan old, and Anakin and Luke both in the Jedi Temple! That brought SO many plotbunnies to life, though. :p

Fantastic story. :D

21. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    I absolutely loved how you tied this story up. And thank you so much for not killing off any main characters simply for the heck of it. I'm still numb from the EU doing that recently. :( Loved that you kept Xan alive and friends with Obi. [face_love] And that the old rogue found peace. I couldn't have thought up a more satisfying ending if I'd tried. Bravo!=D=

?Rumor has it you are considering retiring your Council seat, Master Kenobi.? Xanatos raised an eyebrow. ?I question your judgment in leaving the Council to the Skywalkers.?

?Whie will keep them in line,? Obi-Wan assured him before looking back toward the hallway. ?Are you up for some fresher air??

Whie! :) I'll miss this fic.

22. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Amazing story and an equally amazing ending. I loved the relationship between Xan and Obi I have such a weakness for those two. All in all i loved it <3

UP!

23. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    :eek: WOW:eek:
    Sooo awesome! Superb! Grandoise(wait a minute, is that even a word?)! OMA!
    This is what I call a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good story. You made me like Natoes!:_|
    I'm a newby and I suck. Time travel is one of favorites! Awesome! :D

24. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Wonderful ending. I greatly enjoyed the premise of this story. I look forward to reading more of your works.

25. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    At the moment, I'm trying to catch up with stories I've been reading and I knew that this was one of them.
    It took me some time to find it via my last posts, but now I'm really happy that I did :D

I have just one word to say about the last chapter: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! [face_blush]

I really liked how you twisted the whole saga.
    Having 'the Skywalkers' both being on the Council with Obi-Wan was awesome - and Obi-Wan talking with Qui-Gon [face_love]

Wonderfully done :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.