main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Threads of the Past (JA, time travel - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin) - COMPLETE 6/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Magier, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aliceandjasper

aliceandjasper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2007
    For just a brief moment, it was as though the Force had opened a window into the future and had shown him what the boy could be. He had sensed a magnificent, composed presence that was without doubt, Obi-Wan. It had touched his mind in the way he remembered a padawan would, and he had sensed great fondness and undying devotion. It had saddened him when that window was abruptly slammed shut, and he remembered turning to a downcast Obi-Wan. Deep down, when Qui-Gon pushed past his own fear, he realized that a part of him wanted to be connected to that warm brilliance, and to see the eager boy that trailed him and hung on his every word become that man.

So much for not changing thr past, Obi-Wan... even your presence has already changed it. Why is it that in every timetravel story they think they can just not change things. It´s virtually impossible...

This chapter was very interesting and I agree with Anakin, that they are meant (by yourself or the Force, I don´t know) to change something. I just have no idea what that is exactly and how this would influence the real timeline and the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin... I guess I will have to wait

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Though he wouldn?t readily admit it to his padawan, he was shaken. He had not been prepared to see his former master approach, and had certainly not been equipped to feel Qui-Gon?s presence again

No doubt, no doubt at all!

"I intend to leave Qui-Gon and my counterpart alone and let history take its natural course.?

Oh!! :eek: Yes, of course. You have to, if only to not change anything that has already happened.

?What?!? Anakin stood up abruptly, slamming his hands down. Plates and utensils clattered, the force of the blow nearly pushing the table back. ?Don?t tell me this is about not messing up your chances to become a knight.?

For shame Anakin, [face_shame_on_you] you should know better!! LIke others, I wonder exactly what Anakin might do follwoing Qui-Gon?

3. xxxkbunnies

xxxkbunnies Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2007
    Great update! I really liked how you wrote Obi-wan, especially when it came to facing Qui-Gon again. I'm looking forward to see how Qui-Gon reacts to Anakin as well :)

4. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    Great chapter!

Obi-Wan is right about not intefering. You just know that something is going to happen to make them intefere, though. I would love to see Obi-Wan's interaction with his younger self.

And, of course, we wonder whether or not Anakin will listen to his Master

I'm glad Qui-Gon seems to be having good thoughts about young Obi-Wan.

Can't wait for more!

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! What a stage you've set for us here! :D

?We have absolutely no understanding of how we got here, Anakin. If we are in fact in the past, changing events in the timeline could be dangerous. It changes our history.?

?And what if that history is better??

?What if it is worse?? Obi-Wan challenged. ?What if by altering one single event in the past, you are never found, or worse, the Sith find you first? What if you are never born? What if the Order tries to seek out the Sith early and it ends with horrible repercussions for the galaxy??

Anakin looked back up, resolve burning in his eyes. ?You said that we don?t know how we got here. What if the Force brought us here for a purpose? Maybe we are here so that we can talk to Qui-Gon. Who knows ? if we are here, maybe the Sith are here also trying to mess with this precious timeline.? He shrugged his shoulder in an insubordinate gesture. ?If we stay tucked away on this transport, we will never know.?

Obi-Wan rubbed the sides of his head with his fingers. The arguments Anakin made were valid ? if only they hadn?t come as yet another challenge to authority. ? Point taken, Anakin. We will need to follow Qui-Gon and my younger counterpart to see if a threat exists.? At the delighted grin that broke out over Anakin?s face, he issued a stern warning. ?We should only follow, not interact or interfere with events here. Do you understand??

?Yes, Master.?

You've captured them perfectly! =D=

6. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    ?What if by altering one single event in the past, you are never found, or worse, the Sith find you first? What if you are never born?

If only. ;) Qui-Gon's thoughts on young Obi-Wan were very moving. And I loved how he sensed the older version.

7. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003

For just a brief moment, it was as though the Force had opened a window into the future and had shown him what the boy could be. He had sensed a magnificent, composed presence that was without doubt, Obi-Wan. It had touched his mind in the way he remembered a padawan would, and he had sensed great fondness and undying devotion. It had saddened him when that window was abruptly slammed shut, and he remembered turning to a downcast Obi-Wan. Deep down, when Qui-Gon pushed past his own fear, he realized that a part of him wanted to be connected to that warm brilliance, and to see the eager boy that trailed him and hung on his every word become that man.

:_|

Simply loved it! Even though time travels are SO confusing...
    I can't imagine what it must be like for Obi-Wan to meet his old master again, so uexpectedly.
    And seeing himself as a young boy - THAT must be weird!
    Am waiting *patiently* for next chapter ;)

8. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    As you know, I love very much this fic.
    Its plot is wonderfully convoluted and thrilling, and I´m looking forward to know more!
    Are you going to update only here?

9. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    dianethx- No, Anakin isn't known for following the rules. [face_mischief]

azizah - I'm glad you like how I am writing Obi-Wan. I have always seen him as having emotion, but working very hard to hide it. He feels, but he is controlled about it.

ClaudiaR - Before this is all said and done, both Obi-Wan and Anakin are going to learn a lot. All that remains to be seen is if they can do it without totally messing up their past.

Valairy_Scot - What makes you think that something is going to happen to interfere? [face_whistling] Oh, there is so much potential, isn't there?

Fifilla - Yes, they have already changed the past just a little bit. They are going to have to be careful. Qui-Gon is very perceptive and very in tune with the Force (except when it came to taking Obi-Wan as his padawan).

aliceandjasper - They are meant to change something, it is just a matter of them allowing themselves. I guess, it is actually more Obi-Wan allowing it. Anakin seems all for changing something. It is inevitable -- as you said, just their presence there changes things. It's about to get a bit more interesting.

Healer_Leona - It seemed a conclusion Anakin would jump to. He tends to not think about the broader consequences for the galaxy. :p

xxxkbunnies- There is some potential for some great interactions in this. But,interaction all tends to change time. We will have to see what happens.

REALbluelightsaber - We always have to wonder if Anakin will listen to his master. ;)

VaderLVR - I always feel like Anakin probably constantly challenged or questioned everything. In AotC, Obi-Wan had a sort of "must we go through this again" attitude when Anakin expanded on their mandate.

Itachi-Uchiha- Sensing Jedi master Obi-Wan even for that brief moment was bound to effect Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gina-Jinn - I know. In writing what I have on this, time travel is indeed confusing. It is going to continue to get interesting for all involved.

Nimloth - Thanks for hanging in for the wild ride.

10. Magier

Jul 2, 2007
    Chapter 3

It boggled Anakin?s mind. He had followed Qui-Gon all day long, and not once had the Jedi master checked in on Obi-Wan. He hadn?t even made a call to see about the boy?s wellbeing. Obi-Wan had told Anakin that his relationship with Qui-Gon had started out distant, but Anakin had no idea Qui-Gon had been this aloof. Even Anakin had seen the hero worship and longing in young Obi-Wan?s eyes, and he had difficulty believing Qui-Gon would dismiss him for something as trivial as anger. The Jedi master had been willing to overlook an entire ?clouded future? for Anakin. Besides, Obi-Wan didn?t have anger issues ? at least Anakin didn?t think he did. The truth was that he wasn?t exactly sure what went on behind his mentor?s shields, though he sensed that something had changed after the battle on Naboo. A part of him was sad that Obi-Wan had chosen to follow his young counterpart. Anakin would have liked to see and speak with the boy his master had been. He shook his head. That was exactly what he wasn?t supposed to do ? talk to anyone.

He crimped the wires he was working with, running a meter over the top to check the current. Enough agitation in his life and repairs that should have taken weeks would only take days. Yawning again, he shook his head and vowed to actually get some sleep tonight.

Suddenly, a chill swept down his spine, preceding a presence into the hangar. He turned to see the back of a long, black, shiny cloak. Its owner was speaking with the mechanic he had met earlier. The figure disturbed the Force, as though the Light distanced itself from him. Xanatos? It was quite likely. Anakin drew on the Force to enhance his hearing.

?It is urgent the repairs are made to my ship by tomorrow morning. Offworld will pay twice as much for timely completion.?

?Like I told you, Sir. We have quite a backlog ??

?But, it won?t be a problem,? Xanatos soothed, graceful waving a pale hand in front of him.

?But, it won?t be a problem,? the mechanic murmured absently.

?Good, that?s what I like to hear.?

Anakin shook his head again, not believing what he was seeing. Then he noticed two midnight blue eyes bearing into him. Actually, not him, but the braid he had tried unsuccessfully to hide. Damn the whole stupid braid thing! Whoever thought of it as a tradition must have never anticipated padawans actually having to hide what they were on occasion.

The young man strode over to Anakin, looking down on him with distaste. He was handsome, actually that was an understatement, and Anakin could easily picture him being the subject of many conversations among the female padawans in his time at the Temple. A hand reached down and pulled the incriminating lock of hair from where Anakin had tucked it beneath his collar.

?I was not aware that Bandomeer had additional Jedi guests. You weren?t present at the meeting this morning. All I was informed of was Master Jinn and a boy going to visit the Agricorps project.? He sighed wistfully. ?Poor child ? another victim of the Jedi carelessly discarding their own.? Losing the absent thought or, at least, what seemed absent, Xanatos regarded Anakin again. ?You are an older padawan. I was not aware Master Jinn had taken another apprentice.?

?I?m not his apprentice,? Anakin said, finally breaking into the conversation. Xanatos pursed his lips together in a pout, his eyes asking for the padawan to elaborate. Great ? now he was going to have to explain ? in a way that didn?t jeopardize the timeline. ?My master and I ??

?There is another Jedi master on Bandomeer?!? The fallen Jedi?s eyes grew cloudy and dark, Anakin keen senses picking up on the Darkside rallying to Xanatos? anger. ?What is the Jedi Council trying to pull ..??

?If you would keep your mouth shut for just a minute and let me finish, I would explain,? Anakin snapped angrily, effectively bringing the other to an amused silence. ?We had trouble with our ship and are stopped here for repairs -- that?s all. And I don?t want to be here anymore than you

11. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    Yay, update!!!

Ohh, this was brilliant!

Loved how Xanatos was talking to Anakin - seeing all the anger which we know is in him.
    Never betray Obi-Wan - you just wait and see, young one!

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Xan always seems to know just what buttons to push. His little talk with Anakin would certainly bring out all the insecurities that he's feeling right now. At least he's seeing that Qui-Gon was much less compassionate at this time and it might help him understand Obi-Wan more.

Great job as always.

13. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    The exchange between Xanatos and Anakin is great. Xanatos is so smooth and he sees right through Anakin. This story just gets better and better. Wonderful.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fascinating observations Anakin is making of Qui-Gon.

?There is another Jedi master on Bandomeer?!? The fallen Jedi?s eyes grew cloudy and dark, Anakin keen senses picking up on the Darkside rallying to Xanatos? anger. ?What is the Jedi Council trying to pull ..??

Uh oh! [face_worried] Don't listen to Xanatos Anakin, even his truths are twisted lies.

?Anakin, Xanatos is brilliant, cunning, and manipulative. He crafts every situation to his advantage and always has in mind what he wants. Don?t take anything he has said at face value.?

Couldn't have said it better myself!! :p

15. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Wow,
    What a chapter... Xani playing mind games and Ani wondering about his place with
    his master's master, I loved how he wondered at the lack of concern exhibited by
    Qui in relation to Obi and whenever he was one of the pathetic life-forms adopted
    hopefully he won't ever find out what Obi called him before Naboo.

I really like how Obi-Wan admits to himself that he doesn't want Ani to see him as
    how he was, but maybe when he does see the 13year old Kenobi he will gain a greater
    understanding about how his master was... Ani's thoughts really throw things into
    persperctive and I don't think he will be too pleased to know his master is willing to
    get thrown out of a tower and to blow himself up!
    Thought it would be interesting to see what he will say about the abilities to make friends
    in the most awful situations... and the fact that even if for only a few days his master
    had been a slave.

The way Obi keeps thinking about how he would reassure his younger self had me laughing...
    "everything will be alright you see... after you leave the jedi, return the love your master life dies, his fallen apprentice commits suicide and you have to kill you childhood rival..."

I don't think that would be very reassuring!

16. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    Great update! I just know that something bad is going to happen to one of the Obi-Wans. I'm on edge about what's coming soon. Can't wait for more!

17. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Oh, wow - this story gets better and better! =D=
    That was an awesome chapter! Can't wait for an update!

18. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Excellent=D=

I think Obi-Wan is making a mistake and as usual he will be the one to get hurt.:_|
    Angry Anakin will spoil Young Obi-Wans life, as he is spoiling older Obi-Wans life.o_O

Some times I think Anakin and Qui-Gon deserve
    each other.[face_shame_on_you] [face_beatup]

19. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Wow! I got to read two updates at one time! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what is going to develop next. Xanatos meeting Anakin can only mean trouble. Beautiful job! =D= =D= Thanks for the PM!

20. aliceandjasper

aliceandjasper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2007
    Oh oh, Xani is playing mind-games with Anakin and Anakin, as always, just has to react like xanatos wants him to. Although I have to admit, he had a point there...it´s ironic that Anakin is slightly afraid that he could be able to betray Obi-Wan, when that is exactly what he does in canon. Anakin should really tell Obi-Wan what is bothering him.

?You?re wrong.? The anger howled inside Anakin, every remark ever made about his clouded future swirling hopelessly in his mind. He would never betray Obi-Wan ? not ever ? it was simply unimaginable.

I just hate foreshadowing...

It has to be strange for Obi-Wan to watch his younger self...

21. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Xanatos knows just how to push all the right buttons. :* Rather eerie that Anakin experienced the same taunting from Xanatos that a young Obi did.

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved the exchange between Anakin and Xanatos! :D

?I?m not his apprentice,? Anakin said, finally breaking into the conversation. Xanatos pursed his lips together in a pout, his eyes asking for the padawan to elaborate. Great ? now he was going to have to explain ? in a way that didn?t jeopardize the timeline. ?My master and I ??

?If you would keep your mouth shut for just a minute and let me finish, I would explain,? Anakin snapped angrily, effectively bringing the other to an amused silence. ?We had trouble with our ship and are stopped here for repairs -- that?s all. And I don?t want to be here anymore than you want us here. I would much rather be back at the Temple on Coruscant in a warm bed eating something besides field rations. Do you get it??

?Forgive me,? Xanatos purred.

Anakin didn?t like the way the former Jedi was studying in him. He had allowed too much of his frustration to show, and now Xanatos was eyeing him like a child wondering what is wrapped up in a package.

=D=

23. Magier

Jul 2, 2007
    Qui-Gina-Jinn - I think the fact that Anakin keeps telling himself that he would never betray Obi-Wan shows that he feels a lot of fear that he might.

dianethx - Anakin has just happened into a bad situation overall. It has to make him very insecure to see how different Qui-Gon was with a younger Obi-Wan.

azizah - Oh yes, Xanatos saw right through Anakin. And he found what he saw to be quite amusing.

Healer_Jinn - Yes, the last thing Anakin needs is to start listening to Xanatos. That little chat was something Obi-Wan likely wished never happened.

ClaudiaR - Yeah, Anakin would feel even more insecure if he knew what Obi-Wan's thoughts on him were before Qui-Gon's death. I always picture Obi-Wan as trying his best to hide his struggles from Anakin, maybe not wanting to burden someone who had so much on his shoulders already. I think the thought of Anakin seeing a young Obi-Wan makes Obi-Wan feel vulnerable. But who knows, maybe Anakin will react completely different than he thinks.

REALbluelightsaber - What makes you think something is going to happen to Obi-Wan? I mean, other than the fact that there are two of them now, and one is all that is needed to get into trouble.

Fifilla - Thanks so much.

Gkilkenny - I always feel sorry for Obi-Wan. He didn't ask for a lot of what happened to him in life, but was willing to push aside self and take on the responsibility. Let's hope what happens makes his life better rather than worse.

jedidas3 - Oh yes, you are most definitely right. Xanatos meeting up with Anakin is nothing but trouble.

aliceandjasper - Anakin really needs to open up to Obi-Wan. I suspect it is something that never happened much in canon, obviously.

Itachi-Uchiha - Xanatos just feels the need to crush anyone who looks up to Qui-GOn, something young Obi-Wan and Anakin both have in common.

VaderLVR- That was one tense hangar bay. I'm not sure Xanatos is used to having people snap at him.

24. Magier

Jul 2, 2007
    Chapter 4

?Anakin, are you there??

Obi-Wan spoke in soft whispers, careful to not wake the boy stretched out on one of the many bunks that filled the room.

?Master? Where are you??

?I am on a deepsea mining platform on the Great Sea of Bandomeer.?

Sneaking onto the mining platform had been easy enough. A Force suggestion had quickly quieted the one guard he had been unable to avoid. Obi-Wan was now seated on the floor, hidden among the many bunks, waiting and watching, though he wasn?t entirely sure what he was watching for.

"This is where I was taken after Xanatos kidnapped me. Has anything out of the ordinary happened??

?Nothing, Master,? Anakin answered, sounding rather bored. ?Qui-Gon has been asking around about the box you told me about. We took a trip to Offworld Headquarters.?

?Did anyone see you??

?I had to get past security, but the guard won?t remember ever seeing me,? Anakin answered confidently. ?Qui-Gon has been in his quarters since we returned. And, I?ve been sitting here outside ? hidden ? waiting.?

?He probably contacted the Council with what he found.? Obi-Wan shifted, stretching his legs to a more comfortable position.

?What is little Obi-Wan up to?? Anakin asked.

?He took quite a blow to the head and is still unconscious, but should be stirring soon. Then they will put him to work.?

"Is he well enough?" Anakin asked with obvious concern.

"That matters little to those in charge, Padawan," Obi-Wan said softly. "He's a slave now, until he's rescued that is."

The words drew a long pause from Anakin as the padawan thought to a former life, a mother who he had left behind.

"I'm sorry, Master. I had no idea you woke up in that sort of place,? Anakin said gently.

Obi-Wan was touched by his apprentice?s compassion, one of Anakin?s more endearing qualities. ?I have it on good authority that he survives, relatively unscathed,? he answered. ?I will be there to make sure nothing else happens. Which reminds me ? only contact me if it is an absolute emergency. I will need to blend in and work with the other miners so I can keep watch over my young self.?

?Yes, Master. It looks like I got the better end of this ? wait ? someone is coming to Qui-Gon?s door. A woman ? red hair ??

?Her name is Clat?Ha. She is coming to inform Qui-Gon that I am missing. You will most likely be on the move soon, so I will contact you again later.?

?Yes, Master.? Anakin shut off his comlink and let out a sigh. ?Thank the Force,? he whispered to himself. They were going to do something besides sit and wait.

Qui-Gon left his room at dusk after hearing the news of young Obi-Wan?s disappearance. Anakin followed him to the outskirts of Bandor to a mine belonging to Offworld. Piles of slag and other mining debris loomed high in the yard surrounding a small building and an adjoining smelting plant. It provided ample hiding places, which worried Anakin. It would be a perfect place to stage an ambush. He was going to have to stay closer than he had been. Fortunately, it was dark. The only light came from the moon and a scattering of stars that seemed to penetrate the thick pollution.

Anakin watched Qui-Gon from behind a pile of slag. He was uncertain what the Jedi master was doing until he saw a figure leave the administration building and begin to cross the yard. Xanatos.

?If you have plans for Bandomeer, you should know I am here to stop you,? Qui-Gon announced as he stepped into his former apprentice?s path.

From his hiding spot, Anakin had difficulty hearing the more hushed tones that followed. He slipped from behind the slag pile and neared, keeping to the shadows as Xanatos began to circle Qui-Gon.

?We were friends at the end, more than master and apprentice,? Xanatos said as Anakin found shelter behind another mound of debris.

?Yes,? Qui-Gon said calmly as his eyes followed every move Xanatos made. ?We were.?

?All the more reason for you to betray me ??

The verbal sparring faded to background noise as the wor

25. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Oh, wow! What a chapter!!! =D=

"I'm sorry, Master. I had no idea you woke up in that sort of place,? Anakin said gently.

Obi-Wan was touched by his apprentice?s compassion, one of Anakin?s more endearing qualities.

Anakin shows compassion - very cute! [face_love]

?Anakin, I sensed a disturbance and was just able to get away. Are you okay? Are you in danger? Where is Qui-Gon??

?Qui-Gon is right here,? the Jedi master answered.

[face_laugh] Go for it, Qui-Gon!

I wonder if Obi-Wan will tell Qui-Gon his real name [face_thinking]
    But I think that perhaps Qui-Gon will be able to sense the truth? He could sense Obi-Wan's Force signature earlier, couldn't he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.