main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Threads of the Past (JA, time travel - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin) - COMPLETE 6/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Magier, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Incredible chapter! Superb action sequence. =D=

?You destroyed everything I loved,? Xanatos accused. The fallen Jedi?s saber came down, Anakin tensing as the blade slid past Qui-Gon?s shoulder and singed his tunic. ?You destroyed me that day, Qui-Gon. Yet I was reborn. Stronger, wiser. I have surpassed you.?

Sabers continued to clash as the pair disappeared behind another heap of debris. In Anakin?s haste to follow the fight, he tripped over the edge of a slag pile causing a rushing slide of debris. The sound echoed through the empty yard. Qui-Gon turned toward the sound for just a moment, sending out a probe through the Force to look for another assailant. The distraction was enough for Xanatos.

?No!? Anakin cried out as Xanatos brought his saber down. He drew upon the Force, harnessing its power to push Qui-Gon from the blade?s path. The Jedi master slammed roughly into a nearby wall and slid to the ground.

Xanatos stepped back for a moment, surveying his new opponent. He began to casually circle again. Anakin shifted, keeping the fallen Jedi in his line of sight.

?I thought you were supposed to under no circumstances interfere, brat. What will your master say to this?? Xanatos taunted.

?I hope he will forgive for saving Master Jinn?s life,? Anakin answered.

Wonderful. =D=

2. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    This just keeps getting better and better! What a brilliant chapter! =D= I knew that Anakin and Xanatos meeting would be trouble, but I have a feeling that it's only just begun!;) Thanks so much for the PM and I can't wait for the next chapter.

3. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    Oh! Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are going to meet! Why is Obi-Wan leaving young Obi-Wan alone? He should just grab him and go. Anakin has already interfered...though I place no blame on him. He didn't have much choice.

Great chapter! Can't wait for more!

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, dear. Anakin is in trouble now. At least Jinn will be getting some answers although not necessarily the answers he may want.

Great job with the fight!

Loved this.
    ?Anakin, I sensed a disturbance and was just able to get away. Are you okay? Are you in danger? Where is Qui-Gon??

?Qui-Gon is right here,? the Jedi master answered.

There was a long pause before Obi-Wan spoke again. ?Master ? Jinn.

LOL.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Of course Anakin would jump in...though he knew Qui-Gon survived this encounter, he couldn't trust Qui-Gon to survive this encounter without his help. He had to stop it. Typical Ani and now the timeline will get all screwed - hopefully for the better.

This meeting ought to be "interesting." Very nice update.

6. REALbluelightsaber

REALbluelightsaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    Yeah, but he distracted Qui-Gon by accident by making the debris fall. That didn't happen before so there was no guarantee Qui-Gon would have gotten out of it. He really didn't have much of a choice afterwards, he had to do something. I'm usually not an Anakin supporter or anything, but I don't think he really did anything wrong this time

7. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    I completely agree with your take on how Obi-wan wouldn't want to burden Anakin with the knowledge of how he felt and struggled trying to shield his padawan to the max.
    This was my favorite chapter so far, it marks the beginning of their interference and interaction with the past and some things now will have to deviate from cannon. Since maybe Obi-Wan won't try to blow himself up then Jinn might not take him as his apprentice, and the presence of another master will likely lead him to act differently as well.

I loved Ani's reaction to finding out his master had been a slave for a short time, and how Obi-wan assuaged his worries about it. They do make a great pair!

?You destroyed everything I loved,? Xanatos accused. The fallen Jedi?s saber came down, Anakin tensing as the blade slid past Qui-Gon?s shoulder and singed his tunic. ?You destroyed me that day, Qui-Gon. Yet I was reborn. Stronger, wiser. I have surpassed you.?
    Now that I think about it this sounds remarkably like Anakin turned Vader, who blames his master for destroying his life as well. That made me quite sad for the future.

?I hope he will forgive for saving Master Jinn?s life,? Anakin answered.

Which if it wasn't for him would not have been in danger in the first place.

Your Jinn is perfect! the right misture of humor and seriousness, and his interaction with Ani was very cute, but the comm-call with Obi-wan *very* nice... I could just imagine him biting back a curse when his former master replied instead of his apprentice. Him almost forgetting to add the Jinn to the master was the perfect touch!

?My master is going to kill me,? he mumbled.

?Though I know many masters who have felt like it, I have never heard of one actually murdering his own apprentice. The Council frowns on it,?

Loved this sentence....

?I don?t know why you are here, but I could certainly use the help of a fellow Jedi. An initiate who accompanied me to Bandomeer is missing.?

Would Obi-Wan still be called an initiate if he was handed into the care of the agri-corps already? Wouldn't he be a former initiate or something? He is not connected to the Jedi anymore by any but the most tenuous lines... or is he an initiate because he still has a few days left before his birthday?

?There is a dock not far from your location. You should have seen it on your way to the mine. I will meet you there.?
    If Qui-Gon doesn't go to the platform to rescue Obi-wan then how does the boy get out of there?
    And what Name will Obi-Wan give? he can't lie can he? and going with Ben would be too cliche!

8. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    [face_laugh]
    This was truly BRILLIANT!
    I was laughing very loudly quite a few times reading this.

Anakin, you clumsy little fool! What do you think you are doing, knocking things over like that?! :p

LOVE Qui-Gon here.

?Though I know many masters who have felt like it, I have never heard of one actually murdering his own apprentice. The Council frowns on it,?
    LOL - Oh, you think they do so? :p (the Council) Now why would they do that :p

Can't wait for more - my, this is going to be complicated beyond belief!

9. aliceandjasper

aliceandjasper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2007
    This chapter really was the best so far.

?You were always overconfident. You have gone too far this time.?

?No.? Xanatos drew a lightsaber. The blade that lit up the darkness reminded Anakin too much of the Sith weapon that had claimed Qui-Gon?s life. ?Now I have gone too far.?

I could have sworn I have heard this before. I just can´t remember where... planet with fire and lava comes to mind...
    I am a fan of history repeating itself (at least in stories). It hurts! And it´s fun. It´s exasperating.

Why am I not surprised that Anakin found a way to mess up? :oops:

Most definitely...[face_worried]

?Though I know many masters who have felt like it, I have never heard of one actually murdering his own apprentice. The Council frowns on it,? Qui-Gon answered gently as he crouched down and began to poke around at the wound to Anakin?s shoulder *snort*

?Anakin, I sensed a disturbance and was just able to get away. Are you okay? Are you in danger? Where is Qui-Gon??

?Qui-Gon is right here,? the Jedi master answered.

There was a long pause before Obi-Wan spoke again. ?Master ? Jinn.

I am anxious to see how Obi-Wan is going to explain this to Qui-Gon. This will get interesting...

This story is so much fun. It was only a matter of time till they were in trouble, especially because Anakin is his typical Anakin self...

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Anakin allowed himself a smile. The fallen Jedi had no idea that he was fighting the Force?s Chosen One. ?And your fighting is just as sloppy as I would have expected from a Temple reject,? he shot back.

Oooh, snap!!! [face_laugh]

Yikes, now this is going to be be very interersting. :D :D

11. xxxkbunnies

xxxkbunnies Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2007
    Thanks for the notif, which was nice for a busy week.

Then he noticed two midnight blue eyes bearing into him. Actually, not him, but the braid he had tried unsuccessfully to hide. Damn the whole stupid braid thing! Whoever thought of it as a tradition must have never anticipated padawans actually having to hide what they were on occasion.
    Hah! I've always thought about that, while reading the books!

?Very well.? Xanatos bowed curtly as he started to walk away. He abruptly turned back. ?Tell me, does your master even attempt to keep that temper in check ??
    I rather enjoyed the exchanges between Anakin and Xanatos.

But if he was honest with himself, perhaps the truth was that he didn?t want Anakin to see the crushed, defeated young boy that he once had been. Or maybe even, it was that the thought of trailing and being in such close contact to Qui-Gon might hurt.
    Poor Obi-wan - was probably right to assume that. I could picture Anakin teasing him about being a pathetic little wimp XD

Anakin allowed himself a smile. The fallen Jedi had no idea that he was fighting the Force?s Chosen One. ?And your fighting is just as sloppy as I would have expected from a Temple reject,? he shot back.
    Oooh burn! I really like how Anakin is written in this one.

12. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Looks like it is going to get..."creative" I guess. LoL Hard to say when Ani has mixed things up now. However leaving it like that is just not right~! >.< I am dieing to see the reaction from Qui-Gon when he finds out who his new friends are. Oh for the love of the force.

Knowing Qui-Gon he probably needs to be hit over the head before he comes to realize Obi-Wan is all grown up *drools*

*blink* Uh yeah...

Another GREAT chapter I am in love with this fic :) Cannot wait for more, sooooo looking forward to it. I hope more comes soon!

Oh and DUH UPPERS!!!

13. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    Fifilla - Obi-Wan is shielding quite heavily, but Qui-Gon is too in tune with the Force to not suspect something is odd. [face_mischief]

VaderLVR- It was very fun to write Anakin dueling Xanatos. Two opponents who are both a little too angry, and let it get the best of them at times.

jedidas3 - Well, I think we can throw the timeline out the window now. Though, I still think Obi-Wan is stubborn enough to do what he can to try to preserve it. These are his memories after all. [face_laugh]

REALbluelightsaber - Perhaps Obi-Wan thinks his young self still needs to learn whatever he learned on the mining platform. He's just not quite ready to admit the timeline will never be the same.

dianethx - I could just see Qui-Gon doing something like stealing Anakin's comlink. Qui-Gon wants answers, and he is about to get someone who is infuriatingly silent instead. Should be interesting.

Valairy_Scot - Of course he had to step in. He made a boo boo and Qui-Gon was about to get killed. He just didn't think of how big of a boo boo it was at the time.

ClaudiaR - I think that seeing all the anger Xanatos has toward his former master is puzzling and disturbing to Anakin. Hopefully it is something he won't forget. It is going to be interesting for Obi-Wan to interact with Qui-Gon, especially the Qui-Gon from his early apprenticeship. My understanding on young Obi-Wan's position is that he wasn't technically going to Agricorps until he was thirteen, so he was still an initiate, just checking it all out.

Qui-Gina-Jinn - Yes, it is going to get complicated. And I am pretty sure the Council would frown on a master killing his apprentice, though for Anakin, they might make and exception.

aliceandjasper - Yes, it has finally happened. Everyone knew Anakin was going to screw it all up, and now he has. Though, I think Obi-Wan has just as much capacity to mess things up. He is going to have to be careful as well.

Healer_Leona - Anakin doesn't really like Xanatos, and he was letting that be known.

xxxkbunnies - Yes, the braid does become an issue. Really hard to hide. And I always imagine Anakin as very arrogant, with a pretty saucy mouth, especially at this age.

Ganki - Creative is a good word. We might have to keep Qui-Gon guessing a little longer, but he isn't going to let a nameless Jedi master just rest.

14. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    Chapter 5

Qui-Gon and Anakin arrived at the rendezvous place, a simple but functional dock on the banks of the Great Sea of Bandomeer. Obi-Wan was nowhere in sight yet as they stepped out of the speeder. The night breeze caught their cloaks, causing them to flap wildly. Anakin pulled his more tightly around his body. The chill that penetrated his body came more from the cold disposition of his companion than the wind. Qui-Gon, the man he remembered as warmly expressive, had not said a word to him on their trip.

Qui-Gon took a seat on the steps of the dock, under a dim light strung at the top of a pole. ?Let me take a look at that wound,? he said as he motioned for Anakin to sit beside him.

?It?s nothing, really,? Anakin said, shrugging.

?It should be treated,? the Jedi master insisted firmly.

Anakin reluctantly sat down, first shrugging off his cloak, and then loosening tunics until he exposed the spot of charred flesh where Xanatos? blade had touched.

?You are fortunate. It isn?t as bad as it could have been.?

Anakin didn?t so mush as hiss as Qui-Gon cleaned the wound and covered it with a bacta patch. The action reminded the padawan too much of the gentle care given by a much older Qui-Gon on Tatooine. He was only a small boy then, and it was just a cut. Qui-Gon had cleaned the wound and said that he was checking for infections. Had he only done it because he needed a midichlorian count from a ?pet project?? It was startling how Xanatos? skillfully crafted words still reverberated in his head. He tried once again to clear his mind and push his doubts aside.

?I never would have imagined such a young padawan could have been so strong against Xanatos. You fought well ? right to the point where you lost focus.?

If the remark had come from Obi-Wan, Anakin would have sulked at first, but knowing it was true, worked all the harder to prove himself the next time. Coming from Qui-Gon, it was devastating. So many times he had imagined fighting along side Qui-Gon, as Obi-Wan described. How many times had he thought of the praise that might flow from the Jedi master?s lips as his padawan took each step closer to Knighthood? Anakin trembled ever so slightly, struggling against sadness and frustration, emotion bubbling up within. The Force around him shifted, obviously capturing Qui-Gon?s attention.

The Jedi master peered at him, or rather through him, for a moment before simply saying, ?I sense so much emotion in you ? so much fear.?

It was all Anakin could do to not collapse into a convulsing mess of tears. Instinctively he drew his shields tighter around his mind, but not before he felt a gentle, reassuring voice.

{I?m almost there, Padawan.}

He turned and looked out over the choppy gray sea, seeing a vessel emerge from the fog. It neared until it met the dock. A cloaked figure stepped from the hydrocraft. Anakin hurried to his master?s side. Qui-Gon stayed back to give the pair time. Obi-Wan planted hands on the young man?s shoulder looking him over carefully. His eyes were immediately drawn to the charred sleeve of his cloak. ?You?re wounded.?

?It?s fine, Master. Master Jinn patched it up.?

?Are you okay? I have sensed much confusion.?

Anakin lowered his voice to a hushed whisper. ?It?s just some of the things he has said ? I don?t know, Master.? He bowed his head and kicked at some loose gravel trapped on the dock.

?I warned you that he was once a different man.? Obi-Wan lifted Anakin?s chin so that the young man?s gaze met his. ?I apologize for sending you to trail him. It should have been me.?

?I?m sorry I revealed myself, Master. I couldn?t see well and got too close. I tripped, and it distracted Qui-Gon. Xanatos would have killed him if I hadn?t intervened. Oh Force, what do you think is going to happen??

?I don?t know, but we will trust in the Force.? Obi-Wan gave his apprentice?s shoulder a reassuring squeeze. ?Right now, I need you to take this vessel to the mining platform and watch over young Obi-Wan. The

15. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    This story really has a hold on me, so I wanted to say something other than I love it (which I do:) ). Your plot is unique and interesting and, for a time travel piece, not overly complicated, gripping but simple. Your descriptions are great and there is just enough detail to make everything feel authentic without weighing it down.

But your characterizations are, well, just brilliant. In some stories, you can pick out the author?s favorite character because of the way they are written, they might have some surface issues, but once you scratch the surface they are perfect. But your characters have real depth and real issues and I love them all. (Yes, you even make Anakin likeable and believable and no body has done that for me except for maybe Matthew Stover.)

Did I mention dialogue? I?ll save that for another review.

Ok, I?m starting to gush. Maybe I should edit this down to just a couple of smilies. :D :D :D

Great job.

azizah

16. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    I really love your story! And you write the characters just perfect. =D=

Qui-Gon had reached the speeder, but was eyeing Obi-Wan with what seemed like amusement.

?Is there a problem, Master Jinn?? Obi-Wan asked as he climbed into the speeder.

?No,? Qui-Gon said as he took the driver?s seat. ?You just walked behind me all the way from the dock, a little to the left, almost like you were still a ? nevermind.? The Jedi master shook his head as he started the vehicle and pulled away in the direction of Bandor.

Old habits are not that easy to shrug off, are they?
    I wonder how long it will take until Qui-Gon finds out what's going on.

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loving it. I liked that Obi-Wan kept feeling such warmth for this distant and pained Qui-Gon. Anakin's devastation at seeing his hero have feet of clay will help him appreciate Obi-Wan more, I think.

This was so sad.

?No,? Qui-Gon said as he took the driver?s seat. ?You just walked behind me all the way from the dock, a little to the left, almost like you were still a ? nevermind.? The Jedi master shook his head as he started the vehicle and pulled away in the direction of Bandor.

Great job.

18. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Another wonderful post!=D= The scenes between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were heartwrenching. I loved the last paragraph where Qui-Gon noticed Obi-Wan walking slightly behind him. That was so touching! You are doing a great job with this story and I really can't wait for the next post!

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Fantastic job on every level. Seeing two Obi-Wan's, two Qui-Gon's and how they have changed over time is a unique and fascinating idea.

REally loved adult Obi-Wan talking to adult Qui-Gon.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Magier, I love how we see Qui-Gon observed as a different person here. It's true of course, we're constantly changing depending from new situations and circumstances.

Ha, love that Qui-Gon noticed it. Still, easy enough to shrug it off with a coment of senior Jedi or whatnot. ;)

Superb post!! :D

21. aliceandjasper

aliceandjasper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2007
    If the remark had come from Obi-Wan, Anakin would have sulked at first, but knowing it was true, worked all the harder to prove himself the next time. Coming from Qui-Gon, it was devastating. So many times he had imagined fighting along side Qui-Gon, as Obi-Wan described. How many times had he thought of the praise that might flow from the Jedi master?s lips as his padawan took each step closer to Knighthood? Anakin trembled ever so slightly, struggling against sadness and frustration, emotion bubbling up within. The Force around him shifted, obviously capturing Qui-Gon?s attention.

The Jedi master peered at him, or rather through him, for a moment before simply saying, ?I sense so much emotion in you ? so much fear.?

It was all Anakin could do to not collapse into a convulsing mess of tears. Instinctively he drew his shields tighter around his mind, but not before he felt a gentle, reassuring voice.

{I?m almost there, Padawan.}

I quite liked this chapter.
    I have to say that Anakins reaction to Qui-Gon´s observations was not wholly unexpected. He was a hero to a very young Anakin, not a teacher. That Qui-Gon has a sterner side was sure to bother Anakin (less room to blame Obi-Wan for things that are his job)

I just wanted to say that I won´t be able to review for a few weeks because I won´t be at home.

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a wonderful job you've done in your characterization! Everyone is just spot on! :D

?Core 5?? Qui-Gon asked abruptly, stopping to study Obi-Wan again. That bit of information should have made him think of his dream. Obi-Wan saw him tilt his head as he ?listened? to the Force in the way only Qui-Gon ever could. ?You seem to know quite a bit about the situation here,? the Jedi master observed before pinning the younger man down with piercing blue eyes. ?Do you know where Obi-Wan is??

?Yes, I do,? Obi-Wan admitted readily.

?Take me to him.?

?He is safe for the moment, something that will change if we do not stop Xanatos. We need to go.?

The two Jedi masters locked eyes, stubbornness flowing freely between both of them. Qui-Gon finally relented when he realized he had met his match. He turned to continue toward the speeder. Obi-Wan followed.

?Is he well?? Qui-Gon asked.

?His circumstances are not pleasant, but Anakin will watch over him.?

?Are you certain?? There was obvious skepticism in the Jedi Master?s words.

?Anakin is a gifted young man, and I trust him with my life.?

Qui-Gon had reached the speeder, but was eyeing Obi-Wan with what seemed like amusement.

Loved it! =D=

23. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    I liked how Obi-wan automaticly stepped into the Padawan role, dispite the fact he'd a knight with a Padawan.

I'll try and comment further later, but my barrowed computer is dieing.

Emerald

24. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm always cautious of time travel stories....they so often don't go well, but this one is going exceptionally. =D= Well, unless you're Anakin.......dumb kid. :p The characterizations, their actions and feelings, are just what I would imagine them to be. I liked that Obi-Wan wouldn't lie to Qui-Gon and that Qui-Gon would sense that he could trust him.

25. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003

?Is there a problem, Master Jinn?? Obi-Wan asked as he climbed into the speeder.

Somehow I get the feeling Qui-Gon WILL find out what's going on....

The two Jedi masters locked eyes, stubbornness flowing freely between both of them. Qui-Gon finally relented when he realized he had met his match. He turned to continue toward the speeder. Obi-Wan followed.

Hehe - I guess Obi-Wan learned from the best :p [face_laugh]

Wonderful update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.