main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Threads posted in" icon.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by patio879, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patio879

patio879 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2005
    TFN.net forums needs an icon that tells what threads you have posted in. Most boards have that but this one, and I think it would be a good thing to have. It's hard to keep track of threads you have posted in without em.

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Click on your profile, then scroll down to your post count. Then click the link next to it and all of your recent posts will be displayed.

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have never really had an issue with remembering where I posted, I tend to use the method suggest above anyway so I guess it tends to work well enough.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    As a fanfic reader who loses threads far too often, I use the method Cobranaconda suggested quite regularly. [face_blush] :D

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Great to see Healer in Comms. [face_love]

patio879, I'm having difficulty on what your suggesting. Can you give us a better example? Do you mean instead of having an icon in the icon space, you'd rather see a list of threads you have posted in? If so, that's extremely impractical.

Please give us an example so we can understand more.

:)

6. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I'm guessing patio879 means a button, not a user icon (my first assumption).

7. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    I think what he means is something like this little dotted folder:

[image=http://images.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/images/dot_newhotfolder.gif]

On VBulletin, this image shows up next to thread titles, signaling that you've already replied to that thread.

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Is the concept for people with a poor memory ? I think it's simple enough to remember where you've posted, and find previous threads that you've posted in too.

Or am I missing the point of such a feature ?

(To be honest the request is slightly moot considering we can't add any features ourselves, and rely on zerosleep to alter the code, but only at the request of IGN, not the JC)

edit

the forum page does show you who the last poster in a given thread was - is that suitable?

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Not to mention it does show you if there have been posts since the last time you looked at the thread... it'll be bolded.

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Sometimes even a different color as well.

If I understand correctly, a shortcut would be nice ... but you can receive all the information you need by either looking through your post history or looking at recent threads you posted in.

:)

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The main thing is it would require changes/additions to board code, which we don't have access to.

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've used my post history more than once to find something I wanted to follow up on. :p My memory is going... :rolleyes:

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I make great use of my post history when I first log in of a day. Gives me direct access to the threads I posted in late the previous day and therefore didn't get the chance to view any responses to my awesome comments. :cool:

14. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    You could always bookmark every single thread you post in.

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I, myself, have a "The Bigger Fish" section in my bookmarks with most of his threads

16. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    This is the best suggestion to ever be posted on the JC, a threads posted in icon.

17. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I imagine such a feature would create a lot of unnecessary server strain as well.

18. patio879

patio879 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2005
    Ok, once you have posted in a thread, a little check mark would come up next to the thread. So you just sign in and go into whatever forum, and you would see a check mark of the threads you posted in. I can't believe know one here has seen it before, almost every forum i've been on has this feature.

19. patio879

patio879 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2005
    No it definitely would not. Vbulletin.com forums have this feature I am talking about.

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I post on all types of forums, vB, phpBB, HB, IVF, IVP... I've never even seen one. It seems rather pointless to me. Just remember the threads you post in, it isn't that hard.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    No, the feature as it is in both vB and phpBB is taxing on the server. If you have any doubts, get yourself a copy of the manual for the software and actually read it since it makes mention that this option should not be turned on for larger volume boards. It adds in a completely new search string through the post table to search for specific records cross-referencing them with at least one other table if not more depending on the board software you use. It increases the load time for the forum page exponentially and would be something noone in their right mind would use on a forum of this size.

22. patio879

patio879 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2005
    PBNATION.COM

They use it. And that forum is bigger then theforce.net

23. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001

Actually, it's not. We have three million more posts than they do. It's pedantic, but still.

Them = 18,567,148

Us = 21,492,879

24. patio879

patio879 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2005
    Pbnation has more users, and is the 10th most hit site on that big-boards list.

25. patio879

patio879 Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2005
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/patio87/ucku.jpg

There's a pic of what I am talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.