"Threads posted in" icon.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by patio879, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Dingo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    a) It's smaller than the JC is. (It might have 10k more usernames, but the JC outstrips it's "highest ever users" by a good 1500 on a daily basis, along with having a higher total post count despite heavy losses of threads and posts (real and virtual) about 4 years ago due to database errors)

b) It's likely that they don't have anywhere near as many actual posts in the database.

c) The system looks like it has had modifications to the original software meaning that unless I got a look at the back-end of what they might have also done to the daily tasks that the database runs and the frequency of them there is nothing to say that there have not been major reductions undertaken on background server resources (that are trade-offs for other features dependent on what the requirements for the back-end are by the owners).

d) I have a copy of the vB 3.0.6 software right in front of me.

e) It took PbNation 0.34 seconds to created it's main index page compared to 0.074 for the JC, while loading their largest forum took 0.65 seconds compared to a similar sized JCC which took 0.094. And this is with me actually logged into the JC while not for PbN (meaning I'm bypassing any accessing of the user table and any subsequent tables required from that for PbN).

Should I continue? I'm a web designer that has worked with many of the common BB software that you can find, including one of the few who have any knowledge of how IGNBoards works. I do happen to know what I'm talking about.
  2. Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan

star 6
    Can we have an icon that lists what our user name is? I usually remember but sometimes I forget. It would be good to have the user name and then the user name under that in a user name icon.
  3. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Why do I find Dingo so attractive when he's talking database technology ? [face_love]

I'm really interested to know what this feature would bring to the forums. Can you really not remember where you've posted recently ? And isn't checking your recent posts a superior system because it will cover all posts in all forums ?
  4. patio879 Jedi Youngling

Alright just forget it guys. I guess it's a bad idea, but thought I would bring it up in here. The moment I found out what those icons were along time ago, I always thought it was an amazing feature. I find it useful because I post in many different forums just within a single website. Like here I might jump around all over the place. And then I might be in a totally different forum on another site jumping all over the place, and I guess I am the only one here who does stuff like that. But when you are posting on 3-4 site forums, those little check marks become a life saver. But whatever.......
  5. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Why?

Most of us here post at several websites, and almost everyone at the JC post in several JC forums on a regular basis. Surely the most recent posts page is better because it covers all posts in all forums, whereas your little icon will only tell you where you've posted in a single forum, providing it was on the first page.

I'm still not really getting what benefit it would bring over what we already have.
  6. Dingo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think it's the arrogance. For some reason people seem to mistake it for charm. :confused:
  7. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Arrogance is teh hawtness.

:p

On topic... I don't see the point either. I can tell just looking down the page what topics I've looked at before, and I can usually remember if I posted in a thread or not. *shrugs*
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.