main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Three Jedi Types: Traditional, Radical, and Redemptive

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by The-Clone-Wars, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    When I observe the ways differnet Jedi and Sith behave, I recongnize patterns in their behavior. Yoda is always meditative, a characteristic seen in Mace Windu as well. Qui-Gon Jinn always conducts his affairs as he sees best fit and sees no problem with defying the Jedi Council, because "I shall do as I must." Luke Skywalker varies from both Yoda and Qui-Gon. Although he restores tradition to the Jedi, his methods are nontradtional, almost radical.

Anyway, I have come up with three Jedi Types: Traditional, Radical, and Redemptive. I believe all the Jedi fall into one of these, though possibly different categories for the same individual at different times in his or her life.

Traditional: Yoda (Episodes I, II, V, VI), Mace Windu (Episodes I, II), Obi-Wan Kenobi (Episodes II, IV, V, VI), and the entire Jedi Council (Episodes I, II), Darth Maul (Episode I), Darth Sidious (Episodes II, V, VI), Darth Vader (Episodes IV, V), Luke Skywalker (Episode IV).

Radical: All Sith were probably radical their entire lives as Jedi (but not necessarily their ensuing lives as Sith), Darth Sidious (Episode I), Darth Tyrannus/Count Dooku (Episode II), Anakin Skywalker (Episode II), Qui-Gon Jin (Episode I), Luke Skywalker (Episode V)

Redemptive: Luke Skywalker (Episode VI), Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker (Episode VI).

What do you think? Did I leave anyone out? Do you agree or disagree. I personally think this is a good topic for discussion and might help us predict the events and behaviors of Episode III.

2. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Interesting idea!

I wouldn't put all the Jedi Council under traditional, we don't really know that much about them. ;)

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    That's true not all are "Traditional". except maybe in dress.:)(Prequel Jedi clothing) In fact if you get down to brass tacks, every Jedi is acradical b/c of what and who they are. Even their occupation is a radical thing.
    Mynn

4. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Interesting stuff... :D

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    The main problem with the Jedi Council is that they've become TOO meditative, relying on The Force to show them what to do. Fine normally, but now that the Dark Side has started to sap that power and cloud things over, they'll at a loss for what to do.

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Very good observation, although I think it could have been put into a deeper and more complex perspective.

To keep it simple, the Jedi Council of the old were focused on political and social problems- not what Jedi mainly do. The Old Republic used them as police officers, rather than a religious group offering experienced help.

The Jedi didn't have time to focus of the Dark Side and certain features within the Order- they were to busy mediating conflicts and solving political problems.

*has to go* I'll be back later mates. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.