main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Three New Sailor Senshi (crossover with Sailor Moon) Rewrite started. Link on page 50.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RK_Striker_JK_5, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Ok, now that I'm done with studying for my test (which I passed, so yay), I'm doing this here survey. Sorry it took so long for me to get to it, Striker.

Survey

I told you this one would be massive...

A few general questions, then a few for each arc. Please take these seriously. I use them to help better my writing.

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Jar Jar, the NJO and the Crystal Star and 10 being Zahn-written Mara, the YJK and Heir to the Empire, how would you rate this fic?

I'm gonna go with a nine (9). Very good story, very good intermixing of two genras, and I just don't give out tens, either.

2. Were there any characters you wanted to see more of?

None that come to mind right now, no.

3. Were there any characters you wanted to see?

This is gonna sound strange, but yeah. That Intelligence agent from the McBride Allen Correllian Trillogy.

4. Did any characters seem overexposed?

No.

5. How was my action?

Very well written.

6. How was my romance?

Very good.

7. How was my humor?

Liked it.

8. How was my angst/drama?

Liked that, too.

9. Did the two universes mesh properly? Could you see the scenes in your mind actually happening?

I think they did, and yes I can.

10. Please write a reaction post to the very first post of this fic.

He's combining what? Oh. Cool.

11. Was there any way for me to get more readers for this fic?

Not that I can think of off hand.

12. Please tell me what you liked about the fic.

It had the Sailor Senshi! And Luke Skywalker! And the YJK! And Mara Jade in a fuku! And corny speeches! And Mara being embarrased about the speeches!

13. Please tell me what you thought could use improvement.

I spent the first paragraph or three of Pluto's first appearance wondering why she was closing the time tunnel repeatedly. An explanation of Senshi powers, as you changed them, would be lovely. I wouldn't mention it, because I feel like I'm nitpicking, but it was something that stuck in my mind for a while.

14. Please finish this, with as many as you can think of. 'You know you're reading a fic by RK_Striker_JK_5 when:

...something really improbable just happened, but it's also really really cool.

15. Which was your favorite Tenel Ka/Makoto duel?

The one that got interrupted by Uranus and Neptune.

Three New Sailor Senshi:
    16. Did I make Jaedite/Palpatine too powerful?

I don't think so, no.

17. Did the meeting between the two series seem right?

Yes.

Awaken the Power! The Sailor Jedi's Arrival!:
    18. Did Tenel Ka's fall seem logical?

Yes.

Brakiss Lives? The Search for More Sailor Jedi Begins!:
    19. Were there any clones you would've liked to see survive?

Umm... No?

20. Did I make Xim seem too powerful?

He was suppoed to be really old powerful spirit, so no I don't think he was too powerful.

Chaos unsealed? The Sailor Jedi Return to Tokyo!:
    21. Did you like Jacen and Tenel Ka's wedding?

Yes.

Crystal Alderaan:
    22. Would you have liked to see this explored more?

Not certain.

23. I initially had Tomo and Zeth become the couple. Was it good that I changed it to Serena and Zeth?

It would have worked the other way, too, but Serena and Zeth just worked as a couple to me.

Memories of a Time Gone By:
    24. Did this seem like filler, or important background info?

Filler information is always important. In order to know where you're going, sometimes you have to look back and see were you've been.

Reforgi

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    DaenaBenjen42:

Ok, now that I'm done with studying for my test (which I passed, so yay), I'm doing this here survey. Sorry it took so long for me to get to it, Striker.

hey, no problem. Thanks for doing it. And did my readers get together and decide to do different colors for each response? o_O;)

This is gonna sound strange, but yeah. That Intelligence agent from the McBride Allen Correllian Trillogy.

Belinda Kelinda? Hmm. During 'The Sith Reforged', possibly. Or giving Luke some intel during 'Awaken the Power'.

I spent the first paragraph or three of Pluto's first appearance wondering why she was closing the time tunnel repeatedly. An explanation of Senshi powers, as you changed them, would be lovely. I wouldn't mention it, because I feel like I'm nitpicking, but it was something that stuck in my mind for a while.

Hey, go ahead and mention it. How else can I improve?

The one that got interrupted by Uranus and Neptune.

Heh. That was a good one.

Reforging of the Sith? The Rebirth of Earth and Alderaan!:
    25. Did the deaths seem necessary and well-thought out, or were they NJO style 'Oh, he's dead so it's kewl!'

Death is never nessesary, and it should never be taken as lightly as it was in the (sadly deplorable) NJO. My answer to your question? I like how you covered the subject and showed how everyone felt in regard to the people close to them dying.

Yes, the NJO was deplorable. And yeah, death should never be dismissed.

26. Were the Charonians effective villians?

There was a longer answer to this, but basically? Yes, I think they were effective as the villains of the story.

A longer answer? Oh, now I'm curious. ;)

31. Did her background make sense? Was it a good one?

It's the only origin of Tionne that I've ever seen, period. Yes, it was a good one.

She deserves so much more, in fanfic and the profic.

35. Did you want to see more of the others?

Which others? I'm not sure I understand.

I meant did you want to see more of the other children?

Thank you for reading this, DaenaBenjen42!

3. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    A longer answer? Oh, now I'm curious.

Well, put simply... I ramble. The basics of the ramble that didn't see the light of day are as follows: Calaveras, bad. Charonians, bad. Put the two together? Very bad. Them attacking in huge numbers and people getting killed, also bad. But angst is what makes the world go round... Only it was longer, incredibly scatter-brained, and kind of off the point of the question.

I meant did you want to see more of the other children?

:oops: Oh. Sure. I like what was there of them, but seeing a little more of them wouldn't have hurt the story any. Oh, and they had personalities. Very good.

How else can I improve?

Well... the several characters talk in the same paragraph thing, but you compensate for that by writing an excellent story. And, once I got used to it, I paid more attention than I would have otherwise.

Again, good story and thankyou for posting it, Striker.

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    No problem, Daena.

*Looks around and sees some lurkers* I see you! Come on, hit the reply button and write something! You know you want to!

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Just giving this a birthday bump. I am 27 today, so I'd appreciate something, anything!

Please?

6. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    Happy Birthday Striker!!!!!!! :D

*rushes to set out ballons, hats, and cake*

7. Ryalm

Ryalm Jedi Master

Jan 9, 2005
    Striker's birthday eh? Well then, sounds like just the right day for a survey. You know, I had a completely free weekend, deviod of any responsibility. Yet I didn't get around to the survey, why you ask? It wasn't that Darth Real Life, it was Darth SOCOM 3 that came out on Thursday. Oh, I am a gaming junkee through and through... but I'm here now and ready to go. Work was cancelled because the worksite was flooded... no curbing for me today.

Survey time!

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Jar Jar, the NJO and the Crystal Star and 10 being Zahn-written Mara, the YJK and Heir to the Empire, how would you rate this fic?

You know what I call a story that has me read through it not once, not twice, but three seperate times? 10. Back when I regularly posted (before I was working), I'd go back and reread the story to see if I could get something new from it, and I did each time. Each read through provided me with a more detailed mental picutre of your writing, and that mental picture kicks something I very well can't say here.

I think everyone and their mother was in this fic, literally. Was there a kitchen sink? Because if not, then I want to see more of him.

No one in particular.

4. Did any characters seem overexposed?

Not in the slightest, everyone got their screentime and no one hogged the spotlight.

5. How was my action?

Bouts between Tenel Ka and Makoto... holy hell. Action was spot on.

6. How was my romance?

Spot on, each couple seemed to have a different romantic relationship that suited them well.

7. How was my humor?

There were times when I chuckled, and then there were times when my neighbors would wonder about my sanity I was laughing so hard.

8. How was my angst/drama?

Not enough good things could be said.

9. Did the two universes mesh properly? Could you see the scenes in your mind actually happening?

Oh yes, very much so. At first I had a little trouble trying to combine people I only saw as anime characters with people I only saw as actual people, but that passed quickly enough. My brain found a common ground.

10. Please write a reaction post to the very first post of this fic.

SM/SW eh? Let's see where this goes...

Perhaps if more background information on the Senshi was provided from the beginning then there could have been more. But then again, how many lurkers were there?

12. Please tell me what you liked about the fic.

The fact that these two completely different stories could mesh so well.

Paragraph structure, grammatical errors, and the occasional typos. Everything a good writer completely neglects. But that's what editors are for.

14. Please finish this, with as many as you can think of. 'You know you're reading a fic by RK_Striker_JK_5 when:

...two completely different story universes mesh so perfectly together that it's uncanny.

You mean I have to pick? Oh fine, hmm... I loved the one where they teamed up on Michiru and Haruka. Completely owned :cool:.

Three New Sailor Senshi:
    16. Did I make Jaedite/Palpatine too powerful?

Well, he had to be powerful if we was going to fight damn near 20 stong people at the same time. But he lost, so how could he be too powerful?

17. Did the meeting between the two series seem right?

Some people might see this combination as blasphemy, maybe that's why you didn't have so many readers, but I loved the combo. An

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Lady_Jade-Thank you. *Puts on party hat and has a slice of yummy cake*

Ryalm:

You know, I had a completely free weekend, deviod of any responsibility. Yet I didn't get around to the survey, why you ask? It wasn't that Darth Real Life, it was Darth SOCOM 3 that came out on Thursday. Oh, I am a gaming junkee through and through... but I'm here now and ready to go. Work was cancelled because the worksite was flooded... no curbing for me today.

Heh. I got Soul Caliber II and i love it, so no worries. Thanks for doing the survaey, dude.

You know what I call a story that has me read through it not once, not twice, but three seperate times? 10. Back when I regularly posted (before I was working), I'd go back and reread the story to see if I could get something new from it, and I did each time. Each read through provided me with a more detailed mental picutre of your writing, and that mental picture kicks something I very well can't say here.

Wow. That's incredbly high praise. Some of the highest an author can get.

I think everyone and their mother was in this fic, literally. Was there a kitchen sink? Because if not, then I want to see more of him.

Okay... That is a good point, actually. I did have a lot of characters.

Perhaps if more background information on the Senshi was provided from the beginning then there could have been more. But then again, how many lurkers were there?

*Writes* More... background... info...

18. Did Tenel Ka's fall seem logical?

It seemed like that Tenel Ka thought her powers were taunting her with that arm. Hell, it'd drive me insane.

Yeah. That's what I thought, too.

Powers: An arm, but only powered up!

25. Did the deaths seem necessary and well-thought out, or were they NJO style 'Oh, he's dead so it's kewl!'

If you ever compare your writing to the NJO again so help me I'll... but no, the deaths did seem necessary, and everyone mourned accordingly, although it was kinda like a stab in the face for Tionne.

Okay, okay! I gotcha there, dude. Yeah, mine was better than the NJO... Heh.

30. Would you have liked for me to do the YJK, Hotaru, Setsuna and Ami?

Haha, when I read this I just got that picture of Ami in that broom closet again, hilarious! It would have been interesting to see Hotaru's though. No doubt Mistress 9 would come up.

Maybe I should write that... Nah. Leave it for Jaded_Girl.

*Looksa bout for Jaded_Girl*

35. Did you want to see more of the others?

I swear, by the time you got to the end, there must have been close to 100 characters, and each had their own time in the spotlight. Well, I did want to see a little more of Rei's reunited family, but other than that, no one else.

Yeah, 100 sounds about right. I really packed them in. And yeah, I should've done more with Rei and Miko's family. Saraha and Aki's story was a good one.

0. And finally, why did you read this?

To see the ewoks burn devil ... seriously though, you might not like it. I was playing through KOTOR 2 one day, and I landed on Dxun. I wanted to have a little more background info on the damned moon because I didn't remember much about it, so I typed in "Dxun" on Yahoo! Guess what the first result was? An excert from your story. I clicked it, read the first paragraph, then went to the beginning to see how all this started. And here I am.

Really? That's awesome! I'm on a search engine!

Final Thoughts:
    Awesome job Striker. I've got to remember to put all this in a Word document, edit, and print it out for my own personal use. But then again, I could always just read it again online. I can never make up my mind... but this story simply rocked. Insanely long, too, I might add. Hate

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I will give this a detailed reply, but I'm here to go "I FINISHED I FINISHED I FINISHED!" and it's to give you a happy b-day!

::Throws confetti.::

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks, love. I look forward to reading that.

*Smiles as confetti lands on head and Jon gives his E-wife a kiss*

11. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I know I've already said this but Happy B-day Striker

So where's that cake?

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Hands melissa a slice*

And again, thank you for reading.

13. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    *gives Striker baloons*

Happy Birthday, Striker!

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Thank you, Daena.

*Looks around* Ish? Hon? She said she'd be here...

15. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Oh, I missed your birthday?! :( Sorry! Hope you have a wonderful year!!! :D [face_dancing] So that makes you... a Virgo, is it? And your Chinese Zodiac symbol the Horse? :confused:

Yum! Cake! Thanks Lady_Jade! *munch munch*

And for your birthday present.... well, lets just say "theme song pics" and let it slide... [face_devil] Mua-ha-haaa!

I haven't forgotten about you. [face_mischief]

Four legs against two, Jaded.

Mmmmm.... still don't know about that.... [face_thinking] I mean, she IS the Senshi of the Wind... we may just have to agree to disagree on this! ;)

Oh, darn. I never did introduce Tenel Ka to Ruroni Kenshin- wait!...How's that?

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! *tackle/hugs Striker until his face turns blue* YAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!! Thankyouarigatougozaimasu!!! *sigh* Now, I don't have anything else *cough, besidesmorestories, cough* to ask for.... :p

But who's Fenig Nabon?

She's in two stories from "Tales from the New Republic". She tends to look somewhat messy and bedraggled constantly with dirty blonde hair that never seems to lay properly. She is also always being dragged hither and thither by her scheming partner, Ghitsa Doger. (None of my friends are particularly scheming, but I am such a homebody that they DO have to drag me places if they want me to go.) A bit cynical and pessimistic, she can come off as a bit of a hard-@$$, but she's all bark and no bite. (The latter, very me.) She's a bit like Mara, but lacks Mara's physical skills and uber-coolness. (Fen's much more easily flustered and- to her frequent annoyance- usually not quite as in control of the situation as she'd wish.) More truthfully, I would be Fenig Nabon half or two-thirds of the time- the rest of the time being more social and hyper/cheerful/witty. (What can I say, I'm practically manic-depressive. -_-; ) Oh, and Fen also likes to be well-armed. :D [face_devil] [face_whistling]

[in regards to few readers conmment:] I suppose... Still, I think I should've had more. Is that wrong?

*pats head* Cheer up. Have some cake! ^_^

Are you referring to Makoto's first training session, where she uses the steel staff and Tenel Ka uses the katana?

Uh, yeah, I think so! :)

And what is the Saga of Ice and Fire?

Fantasy books by George M. M. Martin. (What's with the double initials, anyway? Is he trying to copy Tolkien?! :mad: :p Of course, it's popular in the sci-fi/fantasy genre... C. S. Lewis... L. Ron Hubbard... Kevin J. Anderson... Michael A. Stackpole... Vonda M. McIntyre... [face_mischief] ) Anyway, the series is comprised of "A Game of Thrones", "A Clash of Kings" and "A Storm of Swords". The newest volume is set to come out any day now... "A Feast for Crows", I think. My feelings are mixed. The characters are excellent and the plot interesting if a bit unrelentingly depressing. However, between the cool-and-too-good-for-their-own-good guys getting offed and the rather GRAPHIC *ahem* biology lessons (and I'm not talking about gore/violence, though there's plenty of that too) that seem to be on EVERY OTHER KRIFFIN' PAGE, I'm not likely to put it first on my "must buy" list. But a very engrossing, riveting story. Plenty of nasties to hate... though recently you start not hating the people you used to hate... at least two of them... meh. *shrugs*

Near legit tears in RL...

Awww! *hugs* ^_^

What will they be??? PLEASE, tell me!

*sigh* All right, fine, since it's your birthday... ;) I'm currently actively working on (as opposed to conceptual tinkering) a Mara/Lyria fight scene, the opening pics for "She said what?!..." and will hopefully eventually finish the rest of the Jedi senshi. (There are a few decisions to be made on that regard. [face_blush] [face_frustrated] )

And actually, there is one more regret I have left to make. Not really a regret, merely a acknowedgement of a missed opportunity that p

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Jaded_Girl:

Oh, I missed your birthday?! sad Sorry! Hope you have a wonderful year!!! grin dancing So that makes you... a Virgo, is it? And your Chinese Zodiac symbol the Horse? confused

It's cool, dudette. I am a Libra, and yeah, year of the horse. Fruits Basket is rubbing off on you.

Oh, darn. I never did introduce Tenel Ka to Ruroni Kenshin- wait!...How's that?

EEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! *tackle/hugs Striker until his face turns blue* YAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!! Thankyouarigatougozaimasu!!! *sigh* Now, I don't have anything else *cough, besidesmorestories, cough* to ask for.... tongue

The only new story is when you write the YJK, Ami, Setsuna and Hotaru's cave experiences. Remember, Ami's in a broom closet and Setsuna creates a pocket dimension.

And what is the Saga of Ice and Fire?

Fantasy books by George M. M. Martin. (What's with the double initials, anyway? Is he trying to copy Tolkien?! angry tongue Of course, it's popular in the sci-fi/fantasy genre... C. S. Lewis... L. Ron Hubbard... Kevin J. Anderson... Michael A. Stackpole... Vonda M. McIntyre... mischief ) Anyway, the series is comprised of "A Game of Thrones", "A Clash of Kings" and "A Storm of Swords". The newest volume is set to come out any day now... "A Feast for Crows", I think. My feelings are mixed. The characters are excellent and the plot interesting if a bit unrelentingly depressing. However, between the cool-and-too-good-for-their-own-good guys getting offed and the rather GRAPHIC *ahem* biology lessons (and I'm not talking about gore/violence, though there's plenty of that too) that seem to be on EVERY OTHER KRIFFIN' PAGE, I'm not likely to put it first on my "must buy" list. But a very engrossing, riveting story. Plenty of nasties to hate... though recently you start not hating the people you used to hate... at least two of them... meh. *shrugs*

So... not on my reading list...

What will they be??? PLEASE, tell me!

*sigh* All right, fine, since it's your birthday... wink I'm currently actively working on (as opposed to conceptual tinkering) a Mara/Lyria fight scene, the opening pics for "She said what?!..." and will hopefully eventually finish the rest of the Jedi senshi. (There are a few decisions to be made on that regard. blush frustrated )

[face_hypnotized]=P~ Those sound ssssssoooooo awesome, Jaded_Girl! I can't wait to see them!

And actually, there is one more regret I have left to make. Not really a regret, merely a acknowedgement of a missed opportunity that probably wouldn't have worked out anyway. I've just gotten hooked on "Fruits Basket" by my cousin.... (*sigh* yet another fantastic anime/manga seductively trying to seperate me from my hard-earned funds... as if Sailor Moon, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Azumanga Daioh, Ranma, Inu-Yahsa and various "How to Draw Manga" books weren't bad enough... and don't get me STARTED on my non-Japanese-based obsessions... -_-;[face_batting] Anyway, it would have been funny to see cameos from some of those characters in the "Hotaru's school" setting, but no big deal! It's all good. peace

Hmm, no. I have no knowledge of that series, so it wouldn't have worked out. Sorry, hon! And Azumanga Daioh? Did I get you hooked on that? If so, I apologize.

Up!

17. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Fruits Basket is rubbing off on you.

[face_blush] :D Blame my cousin! *points finger* [face_whistling] Ah, and Libra! That's right... apologies! ^_^

Those sound ssssssoooooo awesome, Jaded_Girl! I can't wait to see them!

Just give me time! They're coming! :)

And Azumanga Daioh? Did I get you hooked on that? If so, I apologize.

:p Well, I haven't BOUGHT any volumes yet, but I sat reading them at Borders... I think I wound up disturbing the other customers with my chortling... :D They're on my "when I have money" list! :p

I have a question, though. What color would Lyria's lightsaber be? Do you have a certain color in mind?

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I have a question, though. What color would Lyria's lightsaber be? Do you have a certain color in mind?

Ah, no. Never thought of that. Whatever color you think is appropriate is cool with me.

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Bump*

Any old readers? JSM? Emmie? Erin? Mel? WILMA!!!!!!!!!

20. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    This may not be relevent for Lyria's lightsaber, but she strikes me as a, dare I say it, purple person. I was going to say pink or blue, originally, but she's not completely a healer and not totally scientific. (and I'm talking about her personality, here, not her aura.)

Just an observation I wanted to share.

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Daena-Hmm, good points. Lyria is tough and independent, but does feel a bit out of place sometimes. Not a part of the older generation, but not a part of the younger crowd either.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Walks in and kicks up*

I'll take Thrawn hideously yet logically warping what I wrote at this point...

Any lurkers out there? Old readers?

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Bumping because I want readers. I really want readers. Damn it, this is a good fic!

24. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    *nods head in agreement with Striker*

This is an amazing story!!!!!!!!!! Even if you don't like Sailor Moon....read it anyway!! :D

25. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    In reference to colors, I give you this link, because that's where I'm getting the color theory from. :)

Also, for the lurkers: Read this story!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.