main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Three years too short?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Game3525, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    You know now that I actually sit back and think about, it is hard to believe that all this happened in just a 3 year span. Do you think when they eventually sit down to sort out the timeline that they may increase the war from 3 years to 4-5 years, it may help clear things up and it would also solve some of the characters ages in the OT(Like Obi-Wan for example.)

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I hated this idea first it would mess up the dates TPM and AOTC take place but then again it has possibilities too- for now they have no reason to change timeline though this all fits somehow to three years if season5 will start the endgame with Outer Rim Sieges and all- some eu may suffer but most has time there as well.... i hope they won't add any years and instead do more prequels and interquels with only minor characters starring - rather than constantly adding new chapters to main trio....or/and make another series with same technique - get the Rogue Squadron damn it- so we can see Solo without any problems;) - we have droids and Chewie already......

Or then just focus on Ahsoka's story- do the Dark Times series to continue her story overlaying ROTS and going past it or something.... they really shouldn't do more than up to 7 or 8 seasons of TCW at least if they try to claim it all happens chronologically during 3 years they should then focus more on minor jedi and clones and return back in the timeline to first year
    I had no probs with prequels as long as they make sense unlike Assassin and Aurra's unseen escape.....or TODO rebuilt behind scenes[face_plain]

there is my suggestions i'm fine with 3 years- remember SW-years are 368 days long ;) explains just a bit that extra time there.... ok few days but in Obi's age for example it's more effective- Alec Guinness was 63 in ANH and he supposedly was 57 so only 6 years- umm... harsh desert climate:p and dark times they make him look bit older when sith are so powerful....

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The era is far past its saturation point, that's for sure.

I think they'll just throw out the EU and just call TCW the only true representation of the Clone Wars era.

4. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    I don't think they will toss anything out that hasn't come into conflict with the show, I think they will ether increase the length of the war or try to squeeze everything in a three year period.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well TCW starts some time after AOTC anyway Anakin is knight and has a scar Obi-Wan is master in the council and Venators are in use etc.
    No offense but what else they even can do? Either they go with three years or prolong it- they cannot even do anything else :p of course they either squeeze it in 3 years or make the war longer there is no other options anyway

6. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Well... they could make it shorter than 3 years. :p[face_beatup]

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I really think in the end they'll just say "**** it" and throw everything out.

I don't think there's a way to really make it work without throwing out a significant portion anyway, so why not save yourself the hassle and just throw it all out.

It would take an incredible and unprecedented amount of time and effort to fit TCW with the rest of the EU, I think they'll just skip the effort, put TCW in order and move on.

There's a massive amount of Clone Wars era material, and they have more to sort out than just the timeline.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Haha i was about to say that but i thought better not even say about such thing aloud:p

9. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I think they've already threw their hats in to that ring.

But even though the war takes place in a 3 year span, that doesn't mean that we are limited season wise. I think 5-7 seasons could be believable for a 3 year story.

10. Rossley

Rossley Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2009
    How set in stone is the three years time-span exactly? If TCW is going to run for five, six or seven seasons then three years probably isn't going to be long enough, especially if the episodes are going to run in a more linear fashion from now on. Of course, they could just opt to side-step the whole question of timespan entirely in the official TCW timeline (whenever it comes out) and just state the chronological order of the episodes, with no indication of the actual dates.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    It isn't nearly too short. Talk to Quest over in Lit. He's got a whole Clone Wars timeline. Even with the new stuff compounding the old, there is plenty of space to fit all the material.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If they increase the war too much it could seriously mess up the timeframe of the movies. If they stretched it to four or five years, like you suggest, wouldn?t that place ROTS about eighteen or seventeen years before ANH? Yeah, I can see eighteen, but Leia and Luke don't look seventeen. I don?t see how they can realistically increase the war by much. Maybe by one year, but that?s it.

I still think TPM was too close to ANH, anyway. Maybe they should just push the whole saga back by about four or five years. I still can?t get over the fact that Obi-Wan is supposed to be fifty-seven in ANH.

13. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    You may not even have to touch the OT timeline, if you push TPM back 2 years then I think it would work out fine.

34 BBY-TPM

24 BBY-AOTC

24 BBY-19 BBY-The Clone Wars

19 BBY-ROTS

14. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    I think they should expand it to 5 years. Anakin had obviously grown a lot between AOTC and TCW movie, so the clone wars must have already lasted a healthy amount of time by that point. Also, Ashoka has obviously been his padawan for more than a year now in the series, and assuming we get at least 4 more seasons I really don?t see a 3 year limit working.

15. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    This.

16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The timeline isn't impossible yet, but it's getting there IMHO, at least with respect to Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Which is possibly why the Trandology episodes (remember: do not discuss them in this thread!!!) were so refreshing, in that we weren't really touching on the Saga as much.

Part of the difficulty I have with TCW really getting into the Chosen One myth and Anakin's destiny, is that, it's exciting because it ties into the Saga, but it also tends to get saturated after a while and they also can't go too far without it affecting the movies.

They're telling us they want to go at least 2 more seasons (original plan was for 100 episodes) and I'm just not sure I can handle seeing Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, Threepio and Artoo that much more.

But other characters? Why not?

Now granted, you'll say, GARTH, you're a huge hypocrite because you hated at least half of Season 3, and yet they did everything you wanted them to in terms of giving us different perspectives.

Well, that's true; my problem was that the episodes were boring, nonsensical or repetitive. [face_laugh] Focusing on poison tea or Senatorial process is not what Star Wars is about, at least, not my Star Wars. ;)

17. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    BTW, did Lucas come up with making the war three years? Because in interviews about the time between AOTC and ROTS, he seems to be pretty vague about it.

18. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    Seconded.

19. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    That timeline sounds like a very good idea to me. Personally, I could do with pushing TPM & AOTC back even just a bit further... I would like to see Obi-Wan be at least 60 in ANH, but having the war take up six years is probably too much.

In any case, I'm glad to see fans warming to the idea of a longer war. I think it always should have been that way.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Just remember one of our years does not necessarily translate into one of the GFFA's years - does 22 episodes = a year? No, it equals one TV season.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Lucas himself has said TPM to ANH is 32 years between. I see nothing wrong with the current system. If they change it, they're in for a huge mess.

There's nothing wrong with the CW being 3 years.

22. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Each episode takes place roughly over a fraction of a day, with some taking place over two or three. Even with the entire series (100 planned, according to Word of Lucas), that would easily fit into a 365 day year. Then, keep in mind that a lot of EU Clone Wars material was not strictly focused on Anakin and Obi-Wan.

It would be stupid to shift the timeline, because it would contradict previous statements made by Lucas and by the movies themselves. Lucas said TPM is in 32 BBY. AOTC's opening says it takes place a decade after, ergo 22 BBY. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Obi-Wan would rightfully look old for 57. He's living on a harsh planet with two suns - takes a toll on the skin. And he hasn't exactly been living a stress-free life.

23. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    There is nothing wrong with the CW being 3 years if they are only doing 5 seasons, but it is now looking like they are going to keep the show going and things may start to get crowded. Also moving TPM back two years doesn't cause a mess for the movies, maybe for the EU, but not the movies they are pretty vague about amount time that passes.

24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    That's what I think people are confusing this with. TCW seasons should not equal years. We don't even know the order of most episodes yet, and just recently SW Annual 2011 pushed many episodes plus the film from 22 to 21 BBY. That actually makes better sense with Anakin's knighting and issues with Wild Space, ect.

Pushing the years effects the EU, but the films themselves as well. The timeline is fine the way it is. I don't see anything wrong with it. They can make all the TCW episode fit in the CW timeline anyway. By the time the show is done within a few years, most original CW material will be retconned out (it's TCW btw. Not saying it will, but you never know with TCW).

25. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    How does it affect the films, you keep saying it does but in reality it doesn't. Sure, seasons don't equal years passed in the series, but having a little more wiggle room wouldn't hurt at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.