main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thrift Store Gold! Hit the absolute Jackpot!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthJimmer, Apr 15, 2013.

1. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    What's SftP? Should that have been SotP for Specter of the Past?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just goes to show what leaving your cousin your book does to your memory :p

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Great score - Thanks for the pic. With new bookstores becoming few and far between these days (Borders closed several years back, IIRC B. Dalton, Walden Books, and Crown Books haven't been around for years, etc.) it's getting tougher to find a lot of these books @ regular retail stores (unless you order them online). And, with the E-books becoming more popular, I believe that when a lot of these books go OOP they will probably stay that way....

DarthJimmer likes this.
  4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    It really annoying how in the US all the Bantam books are avalible on Kindlke and over here in the Uk only a couple of them are so I still have to go to my second hand books shop and look for them.

DarthJimmer and Zorrixor like this.
  5. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Grievousdude That's odd. I guess you could write Amazon a letter about it, maybe so one forgot to add them? Are Star Wars books available on any other ebook stores?

6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well I know The Lost Tribe of the Sith books are on Kobo.

Edit: Checked they have pretty much the same selection as Amazon.

Also got round the comics problem because I now use my local libary to borrow them. I have Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm on Reserve currently.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I know what you mean... you get some really weird licensing setups with some books, don't you?

Take Darth Plagueis. I wanted the audibook. Every other Star Wars audiobook is on Audible.co.uk. But Plagueis? Nope. And, even today, it still isn't available. In the end, I caved in and ordered the CD version from Amazon itself, but that meant paying much more than I would have on Audible (which is owned by Amazon, so they'd still have been getting the money), so all I can conclude is that there is some bizarre problem preventing Audible securing the licensing rights to it.

I experienced a similar situation recently when I wanted to get hold of the audiobook for Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines. It's the first part of a quadrilogy. Unavailable. I emailed. They lost the licensing rights. Yet, completely bizarrely, they still offer the second, third and fourth audiobooks in the series. So someone, for some reason, either lost, or was unable to renew, the license for part 1 of a series, yet still stocks parts 2, 3 and 4... go figure. Explain that one. :rolleyes:

8. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    :eek:

So umm....how much was this stack? Do thrift shops usually have cheap old star wars paperbacks? I remember I once got Young Jedi Knights 1-6 signed at a rundown bookstore....but if thrift shops are like this.....

9. Winot

Winot Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2004
    I didn't find it in a thrift store, but my parents did but me 68 of most of these novels off of EBay. I don't remember how much they were, just that I was estactic when they bought them for me. Then my grandma bought the whole YJK series for me because I asked for it. :D

You probably got a better deal by far though! I think it had to be over one hundred dollars ($105?) for the entire thing.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes, it does, and you should feel bad.

11. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    WOW, what a steal! That was a great find! I have a used book store near my house that I frequent, altho I already have almost every post-RotJ novel written. I mostly look for comics and omnibuses. The best deal Ive ever gotten was the whole YJK series at said used book store for $20. The lady that owns the store is open to negotiation and I was pretty low on funds that day but because I frequent that place, she was very nice that day. :D

12. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I'm going to just go hang my head in shame in the corner over there.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. DarthJimmer

DarthJimmer Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2013
    Not a thrift store, but a flea market. I got all four of the ROTJ limited edition comics, some 70s hardcover story books, two more vintage bantam books to add to the collection..but the BEST part were these...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Were these original, authentic 1978 Promo posters when you bought Laundry Detergent (one for each huge detergent, 3 in all, at $1.29 in 1978 ahha). You couldn't tell they are from that, the artwork is better then most posters I've seen. I cant get over the quality of the artwork, and the fact that its legit 70s originals. I honestly think these are better then a crap load of the others released if not the best. Artist is Ken Goldammer and this is the only star wars related art I've seen of his, and is from 1978. They were $10 a piece, I loved them so much I didnt haggle, the rest was 10 more..who haul was $40..more then I paid for all 55 of those books, but whatever haha Pictures dont even do justice and they are full poster size.

14. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    About $35 for everything I got that day, I've gotten like 9 or so books from the thirft some hardcover some soft for around 10 or more..so like $45 for my whole collection I guess. I just got Into The Void today fron Barnes And Noble, and I got the Sound of Star Wars originally $60 for $10 recently.

To answer your second question..Everytime Ive gone to a thrift store lately, whether its a different one or a usual, I always leave with Atleast ONE book, if not two or three or the motherload haha But I just started. Thats like, 6 or so trips.

15. TheDarthTony

TheDarthTony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    The other day I was at a thrift shop and I got the Star Wars Epic Duels Board game with all of its pieces for $2.50 On ebay it is going for at least $75!

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    A thread titled "Thrift Store" and no one has made a Macklemore & Lewis reference? Does no one here know the song Thrift Shop?

DarthJimmer gonna pop some tags, only got $20 in his pocket, he's a huntin', lookin' for some Star Wars, these books are ****ing awesome!

For shame. All of you are BANNED! [face_skull]

--Adm. Nick

17. DarthJimmer

Apr 15, 2013
    haha Admiral Nick, I thought it might be too obvious. Ive got a bunch more books lately and some total gems as well.. I''l post when Im home so I dont forget anything.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  18. TheLastTalon

TheLastTalon Jedi Knight

Jan 3, 2015
    I visit thrift stores quite often and I always see Star Wars novels in the SF section. In fact, most of my collection comes from thrift stores.
    The major problem I have though, is that it often takes around 3-4 years for the recent releases to make it there. ex. Vector Prime (1999) - found my copy in a thrift store in 2002.

It's great though if you visit them often just to check the book section. It will fill up the holes in your novel (and sometimes comic) collections quite fast.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Those were great finds and I'll tell you now is the time to hold on to the pre-Disney EU collections. Some I know wanted to get rid of them because they felt they were not worth anything in light of the new stuff, but the old stuff is what is making the new stuff possible. Don't throw away the collection and grab what you can.

20. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Try a regular used bookstore if there's one in your area. Although it won't be as dirt-cheap as a thrift store, you'll find releases in a matter of months or weeks instead of years, thus a good compromise.

21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Legends books causing this much of a stir? I've got a bunch in my house that I was considering paperweights at this point. Any place I can find out how much they're worth?

22. Swood

Swood Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2015
    I had a similar thrift store experience today. They had some NJO Paperbacks I believe both edge of victory(s) ans one of the force heretics. Jedi Academy, Blackfeet Crisis, 2/3 Corellian Trilogy, Thwarn Trilogy and Specter of the Past. Even Hardcovers of Star by Stay and The Unifying Force (I had no idea they were so monstrously huge). They had a lot more that I can't pull off the top of my head. Sadly the prices were pretty high so I left empty handed ad bought some early timeline stuff from thriftbooks instead.

23. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Yknow, just because theyre Legends doesnt mean they're worthless...

That being said, most paperbacks are worth next to nothing - look at their listings on Amazon. A few hardcovers go for more, as do quite a few comics.