Thrilled to pay for an autograph thread

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by Mirax H, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    I read the other thread and figured I'd start one for those of us who don't mind so we don't have to pi$$ off those who are mad. I for one will pay whatever they want me to and stand in line as long as needed to get autographs. Consedering I paid $900 for an autographed poster, I truly don't mind. Heck, I paid $20 for David Prowse at the last celebration and got to take a great picture with him. WOuld have paid more if necessary. I am wanting to start collectin more SW autographs for me collection and to know that these are authentic (instead of getting something that is fake and paying 10x more on e-bay) and to get to take up-close pics with the actors from SW is something I am so psyched about that I can't wait!!!!!
  2. Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Master

star 4
    I totally agree with you! I really don't mind paying $12/$15 for autographs at CII, i've paid much more in the past ($25 for Anthony Daniels), it was in fact a very good surprise to see that the autographs would be around that price.
    And, guys, they do not hold a gun to your head to force you to pay for these autographs if you don't want to, so stop complaining!!!
  3. BooBooKittyFett Jedi Padawan

we have as much a right to complain as you do to give praise
  4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well, can you still stand in line just to meet and take a picture without paying? I have so many autographs already, but I'd still like to say hi and get pics with some of the same people again without gettig an autograph this time around.
  5. DonC Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm with you on that Dawn. I've met most of these people already, but some of the photos with them didn't turn out. And some of them wouldn't pose for pictures with fans, even those forking over $20.
  6. craigrr Jedi Master

star 4
    Figured I'd add my 2 cents here. All I can say is, no one's making anyone get the autographs. There were a lot of SW cast members @ AlphaCon here in Omaha last May. One thing I came to realize is that a lot of the actors make their post-SW living doing conventions. I mean they have something we want- a signature. In essence, it's a commodity. They are the only ones who can produce that particular signature. It would be nice if they didn't charge, but for a lot of the actors, it's what puts clothes on thier backs & food on their tables. Some of the attendees could get lucky & run into one of the actors in a hotel and get the autographs for free.

Once the final guest list is announced, I'll decide exactly how many autographs I want. Some I already have like Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, Warwick Davis, Mike Edmonds. Others like David Prowse, Jeremy Bulloch, Billy Dee Williams, etc I don't mind paying for. It beats buying an autographed picture(which could be bogus) thru a catalog or Ebay. Things I want to have signed will be special additions to my collection. Not only that, I'll know the sig is authentic.

Some people are into the autograph thing. For me, it depends on the actor. Did their character make an impact of some sort on me? With some of the celebrities, it's their personalities. Paul (Greedo) Blake for instance was at AlphaCon. He was phenomenally nice. The lady who portrayed Greedo (sorry, forgot her name)for the close up scenes, was- to put it nicely- not very pleasant. She seemed annoyed to be there and having to deal with the fans. Made getting her signature a very low priority. Michael (Ozzel) Sheard was another incredibly nice person. Very pleasant and interesting to talk to. Also on the "Nice" list- Bill (Porkins) Hootkins, Garrick (Biggs) Hagon, Angus (GOld Leader) McInnes, Richard (Motti) Le Parmentier. Most everybody at AlphaCon was incredibly nice and very accomodating. I've heard rumors about the backstage behavior of Anthony Daniels and Peter Mayhew, but as I can't substanciate it I'll treat it as a rumor. They were nice to me when I met them so it's anyone's guess.

Anyway, to sum up, you don't have to pay for autographs you don't want. Some folks just don't care about sigs. No big deal. FOr me, there's some I want and some I really don't care about. The ones I want, I'll gladly pay for. You can't get something without expecting to give something in return.
  7. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, but I tend to think that since the entertainment industry is such a volatile field that these actors should have saved (or invested) some of their money so they wouldn't have to DEPEND on conventions to live off of. :mad:

I can undertand paying for one of the actors that played as main characters (Luke, Han, Leia, etc.) from the films, but I think that paying for minor supporting (Capt. Piett, Biggs), or in some cases, cameo characters (Aurra Sing) is foolish.
    I don't care how "nice" they are, one would think that is necessary for repeat business.

There is a fine line between being a "fan" and being a "sucker".

I'd rather be a fan with money in the bank, instead of supporting people for work they did almost 25 yrs. or less for. :D

Enough with my "negative vibe", praise away!

8. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    It's a shame that the narrow-mindedness and arrogance of teenagers is the norm here.

So many people, or kids, in this forum whine so much it sickens me. They whined when they found out Wizards of the Coast wasn't bringing SWC2 to their backyard. They whined when they found out that Fan Club members got a few extra perks. They whined when they found that they would have to pay a whole $12 bucks to get into the SW Concert. Spare me the sob story.

No one is making you go to SWC2 or stand in line for the autographs. If you don't want to pay for it then don't get the autograph. Simple as that.

The reason they charge for this stuff is to limit it. It's the same reason why they are charging $12 for the concert. They can't have thousands of fans standing in line and expect a SW star to sign autographs for 8 hours. Stars are people, too. Just because they were in SW doesn't mean they have to subject themselves to the whims of some 15 year old fans.
    Imagine if you stood in line for several hours with several thousand other fans to get an autograph, only to find out that Christopher Lee is tired and he is going to stop for the day. Oh well. If they limit autograph sessions it actually makes the autograph session realistic.

You know what it is, kids? You want something for nothing. You don't want anyone to have something you don't but you don't want to pay any money or do any work to get it.

What is your $75 paying for?
    Gee, how about
    -Dealers (well you do have to pay for the merchandise)
    -Costume contest
    -Fan tables
    -LFL Archive displays
    -Fan Film contest
    -SW Art Galleries
    -Seminars on SW Collecting
    -You can get your stuff appraised
    -Auctions
    -Exclusive SWC2 merchandise

Let's not forget people. There will be plenty of stuff to do but the real fun of any convention or movie campout is hanging out with other fans. Camping out for Star Wars is more fun than actually watching it.

Once you move out and are no longer under mommy and daddy's roof, you will quickly learn that the teenager's rallying cry, "But it's not fair!" doesn't apply to the real world. Nope, it's not fair and nobody gives a rip either.
    In life there are essentially two types of people. There are those that want success and financial fortune but don't want to lift a finger to get it. They spend their lives waiting for a hand out and cry and whine like a toddler everytime the world doesn't go their way.
    The rest get out of bed in the morning and live their lives. They work hard and set high goals and don't wait around for "things to go their way."
  9. craigrr Jedi Master

star 4
    AMEN! Well put, JT. I was very surprised to see the "Problems w/ SWC2" thread before anything was even announced. SW fans are among the whiniest people on the planet. There could be a Celebration in the largest city in every state and people would still complain. "I don't want to drive across town! Why don't they have it across the street from me?" The admission could be free, but we all know you get what you pay for.

It amazes me as much as people complain about the cost, they're more than willing to spend the money and are going. If the prices are such a concern, some of these people need to stick to their guns, boycott the Celebration and send a message to the powers that be. Don't go if it's that big of a deal to you. Leaves more room for me and my friends.
  10. MaximusVader Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Chief, you are twenty years old and preaching about the "real world"? You have yourself listed as a director and producer. Where can I get a copy of your latest film?

I don't mean to get personal, but I am one of those opposed to the prices associated with this second Celebration. I am twenty-seven years old and have been in this "real world" you speak of for some time. And as cragrr can attest, yes, I do tend to have a negative attitude towards things associated with Lucas and the prequels.

I do, however, think that Episode II is going to kick a lot of ***. I am re-energized as a fan of the Saga after a negative personal connection with many of the stars connected to it. (I helped organize a convention last May and was rubbed the wrong way by some of the celebs in attendance.) But I have gotten way over that and am in complete anticipation of Episode II.

BUT, I know much of the costs associated with puting something like this together. Granted, this is on a much larger scale than the convention I was involved in. But I do know the costs of the guests involved. I know the costs of the venue involved. I know the costs associated with all of the things you have listed above. And I know that Lucas and Wizards stand to make MILLIONS in profits.

Now yes, this is the object desire of any good businessman. And Lucas has no more to prove in that arena. The point that I am making, and that I think the majority of those who take issue with this topic are as well, is that $75 is already a lot of money to pay for this thing up front. Adding into that the cost of travel, accomodations, meals, and incidentals, and you are already getting up there.

I understand your argument that no one is "holding a gun to our heads" or coaxing us to purchase either the autographs, or the merchandise tied to the Celebration. But the fact is that for $75, you would think that Wizards would have at least negotiated one free autograph per fan, or something along those lines. This is not asking for "something for nothing".

I understand that most, if not all of this is falling on deaf ears (as most posts in protest to anything that Lucas or his associated companies ever do), but I can't understand how anyone, financially well off or not, can not understand some of our frustrations at this subject.

And on a personal note, if anyone would like to take issue with ANYTHING that I ever say, please make arrangements to do so to my face at the Celebration. I have no interest in trading empty threats over an internet bulletin board. If you are going to boast of being a man....be one.

May the Force be with you.
  11. LovelyLotus Jedi Knight

star 3
    I figure it this way, those are coming and signing autographs probably are getting paid via the amount of money made from their autographs. So in a way, even thought it's expensive it's probably how they're getting paid possible. Or maybe extra for coming out into the huge crowds.

Lotus
  12. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    I fully understand your point of view. I'm a starving film student and it's unlikely I will be able to afford more than a few autographs.

But why start threads and endlessly complain because not everything is covered by your $75? What good does it do other than to share your frustration and anger with others?
    It goes back to my original "real world" argument. You can either sit and complain or take some action. Boycott the con, protest outside the convention center, call up WotC and tell them what you think, start a petition, etc.

Yes, I'm only twenty. I've only been living on my own for a few months. I know very little about the real world. But in that time I have learned a few of the basic rules of "the rule world"

-Life isn't fair and things don't always go your way.
    -Success is earned through hard work.
    -Don't sit around waiting for your lucky number to come up.

This was really all I was trying to get accross in my "real world" arguments. I don't see anything wrong with my views, that should be obvious. I'm not going to find any fault in them if you simply throw personal attacks at me. If you want to convince me that my views are wrong, then argue that they are wrong.
  13. Jace Darkrider Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can't believe this JediTorren...you just blasted us and said we were all "whiney teenagers". That was pretty presumptuous of you. You have no clue the people you are even addressing. When you have mortagages to pay, mouths to feed other than your own, car payments, insurance, bosses breathing down your neck, etc., you'll know your in the "real world". Typical. And you know, as my wife just told me (and I agree), you better learn to be a better consumer or you're gonna get taken. Star Wars is a business, but it shouldn't be at the literal expense of the fans.

By the way, I have a bridge in Brooklyn and some swamp land in Florida to sell (they actually filmed some of the Degobah scenes there, but it's extra if you want to take new photos of the spot).
  14. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    You know what. I apologize. Not for my views but in the method in which I delivered them. I was angry from issues unrelated to this subject and I took out on others. I should have exercised some emotional restraint when making my initial post.
  15. MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY

star 5
    Hey! Jace, that is my Bridge and it is NOT for sale ;) Yeah, I live in Brooklyn :D
  16. Jace Darkrider Jedi Knight

star 3
    Tell that to Lucas film. They used that bridge to base part of Coruscant off of and now they own the copyrights to it ;)
  17. Mike_J Jedi Padawan

I am glad that it's only $15. My boys will each choose one autograph and that will be one keepsake they will have, plus the chance to see the actor up close, they will love it. Well worth $15 a piece. Besides, Creation conventions (Star Trek) charge alot more than $15 for autographs.

Mike
  18. Jace Darkrider Jedi Knight

star 3
    In the case of Creation (and other Trek conventions), it is usually the star, not the convention that charges for the autograph. This way ebay scalpers can't turn around and charge loads of cash for it. I'm sure Wizard's has a good kickback for the stars to get paid though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.