main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Throne Room ROTJ vs TLJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PadawanGussin, Dec 16, 2017.

?

Rate the Two Throne Room Scences

1. ESB

59.5%
  2. TLJ

10.8%
  3. Both were good in thier own Context

40.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    How did the Throne Room Scene in TLJ compare to ESB ?

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    You mean ROTJ right?

Darkslayer, Master_Rebado and Erkan12 like this.
  3. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017

Yes ROTJ , I am in a bit of computer hell here, can someone change the title from ESB to ROTJ?

Thanks

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The ROTJ throne room scene is one of the best in the entire saga...! I still have not worked out whether I love TLJ or hate it but I know this - The throne room scene was the best scene in the film by far. I voted both.

Master_Rebado and cubman987 like this.
  5. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    1. RotJ Throne Room
    2. RotS Throne Room
    3. TLJ Throne Room

wobbits, Erkan12 and Master_Rebado like this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I really like both but I definitely like the ROTJ scene better, been one of my favorite movie scenes since I was a kid.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  7. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I might be the only one to say TLJ, I didn't expect it at all. The fighting scene, shocking death and Kylo's philosophy made that scene great. Disney is doing a great job with the movies, but wish the novels we're better and covered more.

8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The ROTJ throne room scene is one of the best scenes in Star Wars history. The Luke vs. Vader battle, Palpatine's manipulation, Luke's rage -- it's all brilliant. To this da,y I get chills when Luke ignites his lightsaber and lunges at Vader. John Williams' score definitely helps.

TLJ's throne room scene was...unexpected to say the least and the action scene was cool (albeit a bit over the top in a gruesome way for Star Wars) but the set design was probably one of the laziest I've seen in the series.

9. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I've got to see TLJ again to be able to judge fairly.
    But as others have said, the ROTJ scenes are brilliant. A big part of what brought me from casual viewer to hardcore SW fan watching ROTJ around the time of ROTS's release.

I agree it was kind of out of left-field that
    Kylo killed Snoke.
    Some inversion of ROTJ with the death being for the opposite reason (power vs redemption) and Kylo doing what Vader never could. I just realised yesterday a connection with Snoke gloating at his part in Rey and Kylo's connection, being like the Emperor saying to Luke that he was responsible for the Rebel's obtaining of the DS2 info.
    And part of Kylo's motivation for revenge is Snoke's attitude and trying to kill Rey, like it is arguably part of Vader's ultimate decision to renounce the dark side when Palpatine casts him aside then tries to kill Luke.

Edit - just had to correct that, had to run out for a moment when I first posted.

10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    RotJ by far.

TLJ was ''meh'' at best. It wasn't even the conclusion, it was just a mile stone in the story.

RotJ throne room was the entire conclusion of the movies and the revelation of the prophecy.

wobbits, Sarge and Master_Rebado like this.
  11. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

This.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah ROTJ is definitely better, but I'm happy to have new Star Wars regardless.

There should have been more impact with the TLJ scene, it was a little anti-climactic. But I liked that it was ambiguous as to Kylo's motivation until after the fight when he reveals to a dismayed Rey that he is taking over.

Ren Kylo and Master_Rebado like this.
  13. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    definitely the rotj scene. the emotion in that scene is unparalleled, luke's arc plays out so beautifully. it's enough to make rotj one of my most favorite star wars films despite all the issues i have with it

tlj's throne room was fun and pretty badass, but for me it didn't carry nearly the amount of emotional weight that rotj's did

Sarge and Master_Rebado like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Considering that Return of the Jedi is an epic culmination of all the themes present in the entire saga, it's a far better scene than The Last Jedi's which, while well-made, is narratively incoherent and not as impactful as it could be due to its lack of finality.

15. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    one thing I noticed recently in ROTJ -

If you look at the star field behind the Emperor's throne the Death Star appears to be rotating. I could be wrong on that and was wondering if anyone else noticed that?

16. LionL

LionL Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2017
    Yes, I noticed that a long while ago - I suppose
    that the Death Star II is spinning on its axis, maybe in order to line its 'Cannon' up so that it can fire upon the Rebel Fleet

17. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Well to be honest, I think they are both the best scenes in their respective movies.

ROTJ gets the nod though for being the culmination of everything and the emotional climax of the entire trilogy.

18. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I actually enjoyed TLJ's first Throne Room scene better. It's the first time in live action film you've seen a Darkside Master discipline his Apprentice. I really enjoyed the Throne Room scene.

19. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I actually cant beleive I mever noticed it toll a few weeks ago.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I liked the throne room scene in TLJ more, but they were both great in their own context.

J7Luke likes this.
  21. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    ROTJ just feels sooo much more dangerous, with the emperor and all..

Sarge likes this.
  22. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    All props to Ian McDiarmid in the RotJ Throne Room scene. They're both good.

23. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    For all my problems with TLJ, this is not one of them. It is "the movie" as far as I'm concerned.

But it does highlight one of the repeated problems in the movie.
    The lightsaber smacking Rey in the back of the head was 8-}

Technically, I should give this one to RotJ since the originator should always get the praise. And the stupid humor parts really went against the mood of the scene. But the idea itself was really, really good. And 99% of the execution was really, really good. So I actually called it a tie. And I friggin love RotJ throne room scene.

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Let's also not forget the two throne rooms from ROTS both on the Invisible Hand and Palpatine's office. The parallels and inversions of the throne room scenes across the three trilogies are thrilling and fascinating, all with different outcomes.

Kylo watching Snoke torture Rey
    is to
    Vader watching Palpatine torture Luke
    is to
    Anakin watching Palpatine and Mace struggle

J7Luke likes this.
  25. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Return OF THE Jedi Throne Scene of course.

But both scenes are so different. I was extremely impressed with the fight Kylo/Rey had with the Praetorians, but still the intensity of the Ep6 throne room is unmatched