Through a Glass, Darkly (A little postie 21/05/04)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HaiGan, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master

star 7
    Teh annual bump. ;)

New pageness, too. :)
  2. DarthMoby Jedi Padawan

star 4
  3. PadawanKitara Jedi Master

star 5
  4. TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master

star 7
  5. Lilith Demodae Jedi Master

star 4
  6. imzadi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm lost, I can't remember the last post I read. Oh well, I'll just have to start reading from the beginning. :D
  7. Lilith Demodae Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
  9. PadawanKitara Jedi Master

star 5
  10. HaiGan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *Slinks in feeling embarassed*

Um... I'm still here, occasionally, lurking in other people's stories and not commenting when I should be. Writing wise I've been getting throughly distracted by other hobbies, I'm afraid. Can't even seem to finish off the three short stories I've started :( . Sorry!

I'd make it my New Year's Resolution to get going on this one again, but my New Year's Resolution about fifteen years ago was not to make any more New Year's Resolutions, and I've kept it ever since...

How about if I try to get a post up for New Year's Day? As I should have said before I edited this message (typing at work, nervous 'post' finger), you're all very lovely people to still be keeping an eye on this thread, thank you.
  11. ZaraValinor Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been lurking and yippee for the new year's post.
  12. PadawanKitara Jedi Master

star 5
  13. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Can't tell you how happy it makes me to see you'll complete this story. Where else can I get my James Marster fix when Angel leaves me sorely lacking. And here I can get two for one...

Raises a glass... here's to the New Year and wishes of a great one for you and us!!
  14. DarthMoby Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yippie! New Years ain't so far away! Thanks HaiGan!
  15. TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master

star 7
    How about if I try to get a post up for New Year's Day?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  16. TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master

star 7
    Well, tomorrow's New Year's Eve...
  17. HaiGan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It's short, but it's here! And now I've got myself started again, hopefully I'll be able to keep going. I've been rereading some of the already-written parts still to come, and they're rather inspired me. :)

This part /hasn't/ been spell-checked, because currently i don't have a spellchecker on the PC, If there's any glaring mistakes, please let me know. I'm posting n#today because I don't know if I'll have time tomorrow; if I do, I might manage a bit more.

Thank you all very much for sticking around, and thank you all for the complements and nice comments people have made about the story so far; I hope I don't dissappoint as I continue.

The night-time streets seemed all but deserted as they lurked in sullen silence beneath a sky of faded stars. The occasional listless streetlights served to emphasise the gloom with the patchwork of watery orange they strewed about themselves, creating patches of halflight that stitched together the surrounding darkness. Buildings hunched together, shoulder to shoulder against the night, displaying forbidding faces, their doors locked and shutters closed against whatever might choose to walk without the sun's warm blessings. Distant sounds of life did not relieve the bleak emptiness, but instead enhanced it. Laughter echoed from behind a closed door. Voices argued from a half-open window. A siren whispered from across the town. Footsteps tapped along the sidewalk, getting louder.

Five figures moved through the shadows.

"I've got a bad feeling about this, Master," Obi-Wan muttered, casting suspicious glances in all directions. The horse he led snorted gently, flicked an ear, and walked onwards.

Qui-Gon gave the padawan a look that someone who knew him well would interpret as one of fond rebuke. It looked very much like his usual expression of grave serenity. "You are listening to your fears, Padawan. I sense no threat in the Force. You are allowing your surroundings to influence your emotions."

Beside the Jedi Master, a remarkably obedient Brutus threw the padawan a look that was certainly a rebuke, but not a fond one.

"Yes Master," Obi-Wan replied, bowing his head and ignoring the horse, but that did not stop him checking behind once more. The General was trotting dutifully along at the back, jingling gently with every step. Nobody had peered out from behind a curtain at the noise. Nor had anyone tried to question their right to remove two horses from a bed of very sorry-looking flower bushes. They had, in fact, seen nobody, not even the policeman whose garden they had used as a paddock. Nobody had tried to stop them. Nobody had sneaked a glance at the strange party marching across the town. They had apparantly managed to move unheeded and unfollowed. Despite his Master's reassurance, Obi-Wan was inclined to distrust any situation where everything seemed to be going far, far too well.

The horse at the padawan's side snorted again, lifting its head. Its nostrils fluttered, and it swung sharply, its shoulder nudging Obi-Wan aside. Its ears trained themselves ridgedly on the mouth of an alley that branched away from the main street.

A soft snarl filtered along the alleyway.

Qui-Gon was at Obi-Wan's side in a step, towing Brutus behind him. General Gregor shambled to a stop, cocked his head, and drew his sword. "They get under the skin," he pronounced. "Drip, drip, all gone."

Obi-Wan gave him a sideways glance. "If I ask 'what', will I get an understandable answer?"

"The Enemy," Gregor said, tilting his blade in his hand, apparently fascinated by the play of light along its surface.

Obi-Wan drew a breath. "Yes, that was understandable," he muttered.

"Hush," Qui-Gon commanded, his attention on the alley as he stretched his senses.

More sounds reached them, and Obi-Wan managed to relax slightly as he realised the distance between himself and the noise, but only slightly. The snarls were not encouraging, nor the cries with which they were interspersed. A voice punctuated the far-off tumult, growling a threat, another responding in kind,
  18. TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master

star 7
    Nice little post there. I was kinda hoping that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan would get involved and help Spike out with the vampire gang. I could only imagine what would happen then.

BTW, I ran this post through a spellcheck, HaiGan, and corrected all the little mistakes. Should be in your PM box in a few.
  19. PadawanKitara Jedi Master

star 5
    I think I actually understood the general. Does that mean I am losing my mind?
  20. Kazaiar Jedi Youngling

star 1
    A post! Huzzah! Hurrah! Three cheers! And it's a topper, too!

Thank you, HaiGan - best New Year's present ever.

:)
  21. Jane Jinn Jedi Knight

star 5
    I'm still here, just late because of Real Life.

Nice post! Good descriptions of the town. I liked the way that Brutus also threw Obi-Wan a rebuking look, too!

Nice way of showing Spike's, uh, conversion, for lack of a better word. Hmm, who's crashing the party?

22. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    LOL! Poor Obi-Wan... between the horses & the General...! Can't imagine what they'll think of Spike. Or what Spike will think of them.

Please don't keep us waiting so long next time, HG! :)
  23. PadawanKitara Jedi Master

star 5
    I just realized- they are going to be incredibly confused when they see Spike. Jinn will probably be terribly rude because of his feelings towards Barin.
  24. Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh, Oh, Oh! It's back!!!! Thank you HaiGan!!!

Ok, I just about gave myself a hernia through trying not to laugh out loud - seeing as how I was reading at work. I do wonder whose voice that is. Is it Barin or is it Buffy? I figure it has to be one of the two. From the phrasing it could be either but it is just that tiny bit more formal to make me think it is Barin. That would explain the vamps getting confused. I can hear them now... Where did Spike get a twin?

Absolutely loved this pair of sentences:
    Qui-Gon gave the padawan a look that someone who knew him well would interpret as one of fond rebuke. It looked very much like his usual expression of grave serenity.

I love the rebuke from the horse too. In fact I loved the whole post. Tad confused by Qui-Gon not wanting to interfere with the fight down the alley though. He usually seems to be more than willing to interfere. Perhaps he was focusing on protecting the General then though. Good thing someone else came along to protect Dawn.

More please, pretty please, pretty please with your favorite bribe on top?

I can't believe I missed this on the 31st or 1st or etc. My auto notification has been telling me 4 times for each new post on other threads. About this, it is silent. Figures. It's back to stalking Mistress Renata and Jane Jinn for me I guess.

I just realized- they are going to be incredibly confused when they see Spike. Jinn will probably be terribly rude because of his feelings towards Barin. <best-little-innocent-voice> But Padawan Kitara if they are polite to Spike they'll just confuse him. </bliv> Everyone is rude to him. Poor guy. (Ok, I'm weirded out. I'm feeling sorry for a vampire.)

KD <happy sighs>
  25. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Haven't read the post yet but had to comment on the fact I've been watching season 5 on DVD and I very much miss the SW characters being in it!! :) :) Now on the the post.

Love the description of night in SunnyD, it's no wonder Obi-Wan would have a bad feeling. "This is not something in which we should interfere," - a bit surprising he'd not interfere but if the Force told him no, there's a reason. And anyways, we wouldn't want you to become one of those walking Happy Meals!

Arrghhh no!! That was Spike and Dawn in the alley?? Darn, they could so use Jedi help! Black leather tiger... awesome desciption of Spike!

Another arrrghhh for ending with a clifhanger!! Bad HaiGan, bad!! Lovely post though and not hardly short... I've seen short, I've done short! :D :D

AS for the who's shown up, I'd guess the Buffster, as I don't see Barin as to my ears the comment sounds strickly earthlike and the cheerful strikes me as more Buffy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.