main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Through Hell's Gates (Young Qui-gon, Dooku, massive angst, Updated 12/31/04!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Neon Star, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yippee!! An update!! :D :D :D Welcome back!

Wow.. heavy shorty update too! Poor Qui... feeling the pain and also guilt for remembering that Dooku got hurt trying to protect him. Well isn't that what Masters are supposed to do? ;)

Poor Dooku! *sniff* What are they gonna do with him since they want Qui? :eek:

Great postie! :D

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Just giving you a timely up ;) Please update soon? You can't just leave it there you know..!!

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Finally getting some quality time with the computer. :D Neon, your stories are always grat. I'm looking forward to keeping up with this and others... sorry for only this blancket praise.

4. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    I missed a lot! All caught up though. This is wonderful. The father/son relationship between Dooku and Qui is touching.

I hope Dooku doesn't do anything rash before he knows with absolute certainty what they are facing.

Great job with this! :)

~Bek

5. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Layren: Hehe, no, he isn't. And I'm glad to be back around. Thanks. :) Here's the post I promised, heh.

Kynstar: Thank you, hopefully I'll stay back. :)Thanks for the comments, and you'll see what will happen to Dooku soon.

Healer_Leona: Its good to see you! :D And don't worry, any praise from you is great praise. :)

Bekah_K: Dooku may yet do something rash, only time will tell. Glad you caught up, and thanks. :)

Sorry the post is so short, will hopefully write a longer one soon.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Gaining consciousness was a slow climb out of a pit of nightmares involving death, blood, and chaos. Keeping it was a fight with himself, his body wishing again for soft oblivion, but his mind struggled forth, concentrating on one thing, his child. His child needed him, and he would not abandon him because of a selfish desire to escape the pain that throbbed through him.

Light blue eyes, glazed in pain, opened, to stare up at a white ceiling, obviously not the room he had lost his last battle in. Not that that could be called a battle, but more of a beating. No matter. Where was Qui-gon?

He forced his head to turn, first to one side, then the other, struggling to find his Padawan. Finally, he spotted a blurry outline, just nearly out of his limited range of sight, and knew that it was his Qui-gon. Just the color of deep brown mixed with pale tan and white gave him just enough description to know the one he sought lay only a few paces from him.

He blinked, his eyesight cleared slowly, and soon he was able to see more then a mix of colors and shapes. There his Padawan still lay, pale and unmoving on a cold slab of metal, one arm hanging limp over the edge of the table, the other, heavily bandaged, lay across his chest, which barely rose in shallow breaths. Yet, it gave him hope. His child was alive, and seemingly healing from his injuries. Maybe they had been found and saved after all?.

That vague hope was crushed when a man glided into his view, a man he knew, and secretly hated with every fiber of his being. Yet, he merely watched him, while sickness coiled in his stomach like a sand viper.

?Dooku, its been a long time,? the healer said, a dark, cruel smirk on his lips.

Sickness welled up within him, a sickness not from his wounds, but from the memories of years past, when he had been a younger man. He had thought he had died? No, he had been sure of it until now?

?Surprising, right?? the other asked, knowing full well the effect he had on him.

?Cain?? Dooku, for one of the few times in his life, didn?t know what to say.

?I love that look on your face, Dooku. Really shows your inner fears, just like when you were younger,? the older man smirked, leaning in so close that the Jedi could feel his breath on his cheek, ?I bet you are wondering why I am here.?

Dooku had a very good idea of why he was there, for the same reason he had attempted to kill him for nearly ten years ago. The reason that made his insides turn, and bile rise to his throat, though he pushed it down with effort. He would not lose control in front of this man.

?I can tell by the look in your eyes, you know. They want an expert to examine the remains, so to speak, and who better then the one who spent his life studying the Force, and Jedi??

Studying was too weak of a word for what he had done. The man had searched worlds for the burial sites of Jedi, stolen their bones and bodies, and examined them. Yet, that wasn?t the greatest of his crimes. The Council would have let him slip by if he was just a mere grave robber, but when Cain had started kidnapping Jedi knights, or a being that showed a great amount of Force potential, and tearing them apart to study them, the Council had become really aware of how dangerous he was, and sent young Dooku after him. The sights he had seen while in that mad man?s lair still haunted him?

?I wonder how your young apprentice will look after they are done with him, or rather, after I am done with him,? Cain?s musing broke through Dooku?s mem

6. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Hey!!! Great to see you back Neon Star!!!

This was great! Poor Dooku! :_| He can't do nothing at the moment... oh I'm sure he will soon enough though!! Oh dear... Cain has plans... and I bet his experiments are not 'lightly' either!! Poor Qui!

7. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh dear. Things don't look good at all! I see you did update ;) after all. Great post! Looking forward to more!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Maybe they had been found and saved after all?. -- I had so hoped this was true. I really like this Dooku and how protective he is of Qui-Gon... don't blame him a bit with this Cain!
    ?So much for the Jedi?s no attachment rule,?
    -- shoot, just knowing how Dooku feels about his apprentice gives him power over Dooku.

Excellent post!! :D

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    NEON!! *Tackle hugs*

Hey babe! Alas, I'm only halfway through the second post, but I am enjoying it so far and working on catching up. :)

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I just caught up, and I must say....

AWWWWWWWWW!!!!! :_|

I always hated movie!Dooku, but I love him here!!! And young Qui... AWWW!! :(

Beautifully written! And such an evil cliffé!! I cannot wait for this to be upped!

11. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    Wow! This is excellent! I really like it! Poor Dooku and Qui-Gon!

They had better be alive and in good form when you're through with them.

Although, if you just killed Dooku, some of the saga's problems might be solved. At the least, Anakin would have both arms. Hmmmm.... ;)

Can't wait to see more!

-Erela

12. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Friendly up for my lusty Count to be! hehehehe

13. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    I know I say this a lot, but this time its a promise, I will reply to everyone tomorrow when I have a clearer head. At the moment, just want to wish Layren a very happy birthday. :)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yet, his thoughts were once again pulled away as he heard a groan come from his Padawan, Turning his gaze, he watched as the dangling arm was pulled up to rub at tired eyes, and Qui-gon shifted slightly.

?Padawan,? he called softly.

?Master?? the voice was weak, and slightly slurred. The arm stayed over Qui-gon?s eyes, yet he turned his head to the side, as if seeking Dooku.

?I am here, Qui-gon,? he said softly, wishing his arms weren?t cuffed to his sides, wishing to be able to rise up and go to his child, who seemed so weak, and helpless, for the moment.

?Master, I don?t feel well?? though childlike in its simplicity and sound, the comment troubled Dooku, both for the fact that Qui-gon was speaking in such a way, and that he was mentioning any discomfort. Even as a small child, Qui-gon rarely spoke or noticed pain, always saying something or other about nature dimming the real pain in the flesh, though it intensified the pain in the soul.

It?s the drugs, that?s all. He is too hazy to realize what he is saying? he prayed that was all it was. If Cain had done something while he had been unconscious?.

?I am all right, Master, forgive my slip?? the arm moved to reveal tired, clouded, dark blue eyes.

?Its fine, Qui-gon. But how do you really feel?? that slip, though accidental, might hold some truth to it.

Qui-gon?s eyes closed for a moment, and remained silent for a while. After a time, Dooku began to wonder if he had passed out once more, when a faint smile, which seemed sad, relieved, and bitter all in one, flickered over those pale lips.

?Better. Though, what of you, Master?? those eyes opened again, to nail him with a worried gaze, which he could only meet with a half smile.

?I am fine, Padawan,? physically he was, the pains were fading swiftly, though, he wished he could move to find out just how cured he was?.

?I am sorry??

He looked over to him in surprise, ?For what, Qui-gon??

?For getting you hurt?? that childlike tone was back, and tears threatened those deep eyes.. Dooku began to worry more; perhaps Cain had done something to his child?

?Shhh, everything is well, Qui-gon. I am healing, and it was not your fault. I did what any Master would, and it was my choice. Put it out of your mind, Padawan,? he said softly, as soothingly as he could.

The tears still lingered, though Qui-gon nodded, then sat up, slowly, painfully.

?Qui-gon, what are you doing? You had best lay back down, you are not as healed as you might believe?? Dooku?s words fell on deaf ears as Qui-gon maneuvered to his feet, swaying dangerously for a moment, hands gripping the steel plate behind him, before pushing himself forward.

He stumbled, his legs shaking, his balance nearly gone; yet his determination matched his handicaps, and he made it to his Master?s side. Gently, he touched one of his Master?s hands with one of his bandaged ones, before pulling himself weakly up to sit on the table. Carefully lying down, he curled up close to his Master, laying a head on his shoulder. Again his behavior troubled Dooku, yet he couldn?t voice it, nor could he move to hold the boy, to sooth him.

?Master?? the voice was soft, tired.

?Yes, Padawan?? he waited.

?I lied, I feel horrible,? there was a vague laugh in that voice, one that made Dooku smile. At least his sense of odd humor was still there, which was a brief bit of relief.

?I know. Just rest, you may feel better once the healing finishes.?

The younger nodded, eyes long since closed, as he curled fingers into what was left of Dooku?s tunic. Dooku watched him, before glancing at the door. It would only be a matter of time now, and on top of the already pending danger of torture, his Padawan?s mental state troubled him. Something was very wrong, but without the Force, he couldn?t tell exactly what. Whatever it was, it could ensure t

14. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwww Neon that was soooooo sweet! *sniffs *

:_|:_|:_|

They're relationship was so heartbreakingly beautiful --and poor Qui Qui ... he needs a hug ..[:D]

Thanks so much for updating! it was fantastic as always!!!!

=D= You should write this kind of thing more often ;)

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh this is great!!! [face_love] *sigh* how sweet of Dooku!!! Ack... I'm soooo on a Dooku trip lately! hehehe Love him in this!

And he has a right to worry about Qui... something is wrong :( :(

Awesome Neon!! Thanks for the postie!!

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Awww!!

Such a sweet and excellent post, Neon!! :D

17. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Uppers! :)

18. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Uppers once more!

19. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Reviews for last time and now:

Kynstar: Oh, Dooku will defiantly be doing something soon, though not before Cain has a bit of ?fun?. And true, something is up with Qui, though what will be revealed soon. Heh, and thanks, both for the up and comments. Glad you love Dooku. J

Layren: Heh, yep, I did. And no, things are not good at all. And Qui is going to need more then a hug soon, heh, as you well know. ;) Glad you are liking their relationship, and thanks for taking a look at this before hand, as well as for your comments. :)

Miana Kenobi: HEY! It?s been a while since I?ve seen you around. :D Glad you?re enjoying reading this as much as I am writing it. And thanks, I like my Dooku better then movieDooku too, heh. :)

Healer_Leona: You?re really not going to blame poor Dooku's feelings once you see what Cain is thinking. And yep, Cain knows his advantages against Dooku now. Thank you for your comments. :)

-Erela-: Alive and in good form? *checks notes* I can?t guarantee that?. Though Dooku won?t be the one to get it. ;) Thanks for your comments. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jedi are like normal creatures in most fashion. Blood runs through them, a heart pumps that blood through the necessary organs, especially through the brain, which also receives and translates impulses delivered to it, pain, emotion, and sensation in general.

It?s the emotions that the Jedi would have you believe they are superior in. The code itself specifically states there shall be no attachments within the order. Love is not considered apart of the Jedi, it is forbidden, a dark trait. Emotions in generally should not be over expressed within the order; after all, the Jedi is about peace within oneself.

This is a lie.

The Jedi only preserve an outer core of peace. Inwards, they are like all other beings. They feel love, hate, rage, anger, jealousy, all those, and more. Its rather fascinating how they fool themselves.

Yet, this foolery is what sets them apart. The powers they harness are only another facture. Jedi are hard to break because they believe in the lies they tell themselves, yet, one only has to work through that, striking at the weakest part of the Jedi. You can?t break a Jedi by beating them into submission; they are bred to be servants of the galaxy.

You break them by making them feel, and in so doing, ?turn? them. This is the last part of the experiments I am going to conduct. It may even claim my life, but I will break one Jedi before I die, I have devoted myself to that.

He turned, looking over the Jedi behind him with a studious eye. He already knew that one he wouldn?t be able to break, though the other would be all too easy. The one that was impossible to shatter already had a peaceful core, even though a storm of emotions pervaded around it. Yet, that?s what made sure he would lose if he tried to break him. This one didn?t fool himself, this one allowed himself to feel, and that protected his heart.

Cain might not have been born sensitive, but he had long made it his study to read into this easily. He had done it all his life after all, and Jedi were his specialty. He knew their weaknesses, their strengths, and he could on some levels read theirs souls through those. This was no different. He wouldn?t waste time breaking this one, it was the other he wanted to see break, it was the other he wanted to watch shatter from within.

And he knew he would achieve that.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Light pierced through his eyelids, making him gasp and try to block out the light. Only to find he couldn?t move his arms, nor his legs more then a few inches. Forcing his eyes to open, he squinted through the glare to see a short man staring up at him with dark eyes. The man seemed vaguely familiar, though he couldn?t place him through the pounding headache in his skull.

?Well, that didn?t take long. Have a nice rest, Jedi pup?? the man?s voice almost seemed concerned; yet, he could read the dim cruel streak in those eyes.

Not answering, Qui-gon steeled himself in his silence

20. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ooooooooooh yay! you did post it after all! I was afraid you wouldn't! Its rather fascinating how they fool themselves.

This part still sends chills up my spine -- great job Neon!

21. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    EXCELLENT!!!! Loved the little POV recording there at the beginning! How scarry that some people can see that! And it's true, sad enough!

Poor Qui... he's so worried about his Master that he isn't thinking about himself! The love of a Paddy for his Master! [face_love] Mush!! Gotta love it!!

Poor Dooku too! :_| he couldn't go to his Paddy and even when they brought him back he could do nothing but hold Qui!

Great job!! :D Can't wait for more! Thanks for the update!!

22. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    oh, Neon, wow.

:eek:

This part gave me shivers!

please, please, please, please, please update soon!!! :(( Poor Qui-Gon! oh, and you wrote Dooku perfectly! Awesome job, but more soon please! *cries*

23. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Layren: I was pretty close to not posting it last time, heh, as you know. And glad you loved that part expecially. I loved getting into Cain?s twisted little head. ;) :)

Kynstar : I know, it really is sad that everyone but the Jedi can see how true that is. And Qui is just getting started on how adorable he can be, though, things are going to be changing greatly from here on out between him and Dooku, just to warn you. And Dooku has got it worse this time; he won?t even get to give Qui that much comfort, heh. Thanks so much for the comments. :)

Charmisjess : I am glad it had the effect I was going for, I was a little worried there. And thank you, I constantly wonder about how I write Dooku, its reassuring to know I?m doing him justice. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

One week, two days, and seven hours, Qui-gon had been gone from him for that long. The only way he knew this of course was because the guards jeeringly told him how long had passed, every time they brought him a meal. He couldn?t really believe or disbelieve them, as he had no way of telling time for himself. But it felt that long, no, it felt longer since he had awakened alone, his arms empty of the one he had sworn to protect.

The last he remembered of his apprentice was when Qui-gon had come back from another of his ?sessions?. At the time, they were still using mind drugs to torment the boy, dragging up long dead fears and wretched memories that left him screaming and crying for hours on end. Other times, they left him a shuddering wreck, too scared to even cry out, let alone speak of what passed before his mind?s eye.

That last time had been one of those. Qui-gon merely lay against him, his body tight as if he were being whipped, as he shuddered every once in a while. Dooku had merely held him then, trying to keep him grounded until the poisons in his system faded, and his apprentice would be with him again. Because, despite whatever they drug up from the recesses of his Padawan?s mind, Qui-gon always returned to himself in time, and always went about reassuring him that he was alright.

He had never fully believed him, but then, he had faith that his apprentice would let him know in some way if they had made any progress in trying to break him. But as it was, that time was different then the rest. The fit had lasted longer, and when Qui-gon had finally settled down enough to speak with him, he didn?t immediately try to reassure him he was all right. He had merely lain there, still clutching tight to him, as if he were a child, though the eyes that had stared up at Dooku had been the eyes of a terrified man that had seen too much darkness in the galaxy.

Then those eyes had closed, and Qui-gon had sighed so very softly, ?I am alright, Master,? his grip had loosened on Dooku?s soiled tunic.

?Are you sure, Padawan?? he had to ask, though something told him Qui-gon couldn?t tell him the truth that time, even if he knew it.

?Yes,? another breathless sigh, then Qui-gon had relaxed a little, instantly falling asleep in the aftermath of his latest torment.

It hadn?t been too long after that Dooku had fallen asleep as well, only to awake, alone.

He knew this time was different, this time they would go beyond the drugs, or else they wouldn?t have kept him from him for so long. Yet, he prayed to the Force that his Padawan?s strength held out against them, or that the Force would be generous enough to take Qui-gon before they broke him. He couldn?t hope for anything else, not even rescue now.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    He dimly realized he was crying, though the reason eluded him. He knew he was in pain, it was crawling up and down his body like a live thing, yet the pain seemed dim, and far away, as if it were happening to him, yet not.

A part of himself had taken to hiding deep within after suffering for so long. Yet every time he had just grasped the pure peace inside the core of his soul, a new pain ripped him from it. They constantly changed their tactics, going from stuff that drew blood, to those that tricked hi

24. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Dooku :( not knowing what exactly is going on except he thinks of the worst possible things.

And Qui! How strong to hang on like that! And his vision he saw ;) something to cling to :D it only takes a little to keep going. Hopefully that'll help him continue to cling to life and not give up.

Great job!!! Glad Qui is proving to be stronger than the baddy scientist had imagined hehehe

Can't wait for more! :D

25. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwww pooor Quiggs and his hands! ouchies!!!
    He needs a lot of TLC .... and poor DOoku sitting and worrying.

At least Qui-Gon is proving stronger than they thought. Excellent post!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.