main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thumb Wars Anyone?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Nyghtfal, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyghtfal

Nyghtfal Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2002
    The Search function didn't reveal any pre-established topics about this Star Wars parody, so here 'goes...

Last night, while channel surfing, I stumbled upon a short film parody of Star Wars, titled Thumb Wars. I first saw this title in the New Release section of my local video store, but passed on it due to the sheer, apparent stupididty of the idea - a parody of Star Wars using the thumbs of the actors to represent the characters from the movie, and semi-creative terms in the form of puns related to various parts of the hand to define various ships, functions, and other miscellanious lingo.

Unable to find anything else of interest, I decided to give Thumb Wars a try. Suffice it to say, I was moderately impressed. The humor is relatively intelligent, and some of the jokes really pretty creative. Unfortunately, the show was unable to keep my attention as some of the humor began sounding more and more forced by the time they escaped the Thumbperial Arm Cruiser (actual term) after rescuing Princess Bunhead (actual name).

The film was written and produced by stand-up comic, Steve Oedekerk. I've never been too impressed by his stand-up comedy, but I figured I'd give this film a try. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either. I may try and watch the whole thing, if/when I catch it again.

For more info, you can visit the official web site here:

http://www.thumb.com/thumbwars

They've also done parodies of other blockbuster movies, including The Blair Thumb, Bat Thumb, Thumbtanic, Frankenthumb, and The Godthumb. You can find more info about them here:

http://www.thumb.com

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Yeah, they're all great, quite a few of us here have seen it, and we love it!

Help me Oobi-Doob, Oobi-Doob, Oobi-Doob Benubi.

Gotta love it.

3. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Darth Weenie once felt as you do.

Then he got stuck in a 3rd world country, unable to leave. Fortunately, he had a laptop computer with him to keep him relatively busy.

Then one day, he stumbled upon a Cd-ROM disk which contained a poor-quality "ThumbWars." This he watched. Then he watched again. Then he watched again.

Mediocre at best, upon first viewing, but as Jabba says, "In time, you'll learn to appreciate [it]." Trust Darth Weenie, my friend -- it gets better every single time you watch it. --Much like SW itself...

ThumbWars kept this weary traveller warm on many a cold central-american night.

He didnt like it that much at first, but he learned his lesson well.

It took being trapped in a 3rd world country for Darth Weenie to come to know the true beauty, intense hilarity, extreme quotablity, and utter genius that is... "ThumbWars".

It is...

...beautious.

*wipes single tear from eye* I love that story.

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I own Thumb Wars on VHS. Got it as a christmas present a few years ago. It's hilarious. Oooby doob scooby doob benoobi is the best!

5. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I am confused, I could swear I saw Thumb Wars on TV and it was a parody of ANH, but the DVD is called "the Phantom Cuticle" leading one to believe it is a parody of Episode 1. Is it a parody of them all kinda mixed into one or am I just crazy or something?

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I have the DVD. I loved Thumb Wars. They really pointed out all the problems with the trilogy and made fun of it.

Oobi-Doo: I've come to retrieve my digits.

Loke: Your digits, my uncle just bought those!

Oobi-Doo: My uncle just bought those! Man you are a whiner.

7. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    It's mostly a parody of ANH with some elements of ESB and ROTJ mixed in. It was made before TPM.

8. weezyslob

Oct 3, 2002
    If it was made before TPM why is it called "The Phantom Cuticle"? Did they change the title for the DVD or something?

9. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah they changed it for the DVD.

10. weezyslob

Oct 3, 2002
    Ah, I remember seeing it on TV and it was pretty good, I'm buying it on half.com right now for $6.

11. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    It actually was made to ride on the hype of Ep1, when it came out. So its a parody of the OT, because obviously it wasnt privy to the storyline of Ep1 yet. It came out on UPN like 3 weeks after the movie came out.

Thats why it has an Ep1 name. It wasnt changed for the DVD. It was MADE that way.
    It was SUPPOSED to fool you.

Its awesome Sleazy. Buy it!

12. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I loved it! :D

Yoda-a puppet I am

Luke-What?

I can't quite remeber the rest [face_blush]

Still Brillinatly done for using just thumbs at the actors :)

13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I also saw Thumb Wars. I thought it was cute.

Lady Sami

14. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Yoda-a puppet I am

Actually, it's "I am a..puppet"

15. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Thank you for the correction, Guff.

I almost went around these boards quoting that line incorrectly! Whew! How embarrasing that would have been!

Yikes! Close one.

16. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Loke Groundrunner: "I want to go with you and learn the ways of the thumb!"

Oobie Doop Benoobi: "Oh, big sacrifice! Everyone you know is dead! Glad you could TEAR yourself away!"

Thumb Wars is one of my favorite DVD's.

The Picnic :eek:

17. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    DarthWeenie, I know it was made during the hype of Ep1, but I don't see anywhere on my VHS box where it's called the Phantom Cuticle. That's why I thought they changed it for the DVD.

18. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Well, the title "The Phantom Cuticle" isnt really relevant to the movie. Thats probably why its not on the box.

Doesnt it still say "The Phantom Cuticle" in the opening of the movie? Im not sure, maybe it doesnt.

Actually, I know it doesnt.

But I do remember that when it was on TV, right after Ep1 came out, that it was named "The Phantom Cuticle" in the commercials for it. I still have it on tape.

The title isnt really important. Its like the old Ep4 Video that just says "Star Wars" on the cover, and not "A new Hope", I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.