Thunder and Lightning very very frightning!

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by Master_Shaitan, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Shaitan Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm probably out of touch by mentioning this but I feel the need to say something.

I have just rewatched the Mace vs Sidious duel and for the first time I heard thunder in the background.

But the thunder only came when Sidious used his lightning. Each time he used it and intensified it the thunder boomed. Then, after Mace's death the thunder continued.

Does this show the power of the dark side? Does it show that this was the turning point of the saga - as Palpatine unleashed his true power the coming storm reflected the increasing growth of the darkness and Anakins turn.

Does it also reflect the intensity of Palpatines lightning? When he first blasts Mace the thunder is there but when he shouts 'Unlimited Power' the boom of thunder is far louder.

I apologise if this has been discussed and feel free to lock or move. Its just the first time I ever really noticed it and thought about it - and it really is quite...shocking.

MS
  2. thechozn1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I look forward to watching this again on the DVD to check it out. But I noticed we never saw anything but sunshine and "happy days" on Coruscant before the Sith came out in full force again, but when Vader was being taken to the medical tower it was terrible weather. Kinda weird.
  3. Dobermann Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good observations! I'd never thought about any relevance of that storm before. As for the sounds during the Mace/Sidious duel, I'll be sure to listen out for them on the DVD.
  4. jedi_jacks Jedi Master

star 4
    i mentioned that too once, people told me that that sound is behind a lot of the force powers, i dont know. its the 1st time i noticed it too, so maybe its louder this time, while sidious is summoning up all his darkside powers!

5. DUGGY Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Does this show the power of the dark side? Does it show that this was the turning point of the saga - as Palpatine unleashed his true power the coming storm reflected the increasing growth of the darkness and Anakins turn.

good call, i think it does signify a turning point, in the Saga and a change in the balance of power in the force. as yoda said in AOTC "the shroud of the Darkside has fallen" , i believe that at this point it has not just fallen. it now covers and surrounds and influences everything .

by the way, i love the Queen reference. :) if that was intended.
  6. MasterJedi101 Jedi Master

star 1
    ahh the great master shaitan has done it again, excellent observation my friend, i shall rewatch it as well too.

P.s

"your skills are complete"
  7. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Where is the Thunder when luke got shocked by Ligthing?
  8. Indiana_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Well, it's just a filmic device - I wouldn't read too much literalism into it.
    It is used to imply and suggest all of those things you mention...
    But in the SW universe - the storm just happened to get a bit heavier at that moment... It was designed to "reflect" what is happening onscreen, but the storm is not really related to Palpatine's evil - it is just a big fat metaphor.
  10. Darth_Turkey Jedi Master

star 4
    And on the flip side to that, when the duel starts between Obi-wan and anakin, and anakin is finally now a Sith in his eyes and must be destroyed . . . there is a brilliant sun-set in the hellish sky above anakin. Maybe to signify Anakins sun has set and he will be in hell forever, or maybe it is a sun rise to signify that though he is lost, his child will rise from his ashes and bring light to darkness. Just my two cents. :0)
  11. jvberggren Jedi Master

star 4
    nice observation!

i din't pick up on this either...
    i guesst that's an indication of how well the sfx has been integrated into this scene.

everything gets a little more serious.
    it's a mood device.

as the dark side threat increases, so does the thunder...

i don't think it's linked to sidious lightning powers though.
  12. thechozn1 Jedi Master

star 4

Good call. I saw ROTS yesterday in my hotel room and you also hear some thunder when Anakin takes Mace's arm off.
  13. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, it's just a filmic device - I wouldn't read too much literalism into it.
    It is used to imply and suggest all of those things you mention...
    But in the SW universe - the storm just happened to get a bit heavier at that moment... It was designed to "reflect" what is happening onscreen, but the storm is not really related to Palpatine's evil - it is just a big fat metaphor.

Bingo G.I.G., you hit the nail on the head.

Great symbolism...

GL strikes masterfully again./>
  14. jedimonkie Jedi Knight

its's just good sound design.
  15. jedimasterinu Jedi Youngling

star 4

Their in space.
  16. jvberggren Jedi Master

star 4
    Their in space.
    where it tends to be very little weather...
  17. IMTHEGENERAL Jedi Master

star 4
    Master Shaitan should have credited me with this discovery! I mentioned it to him as I was watching ROTS on dvd while he sat in his dark corner during one of his 15 hour binges on these boards!

"You were my brother Shaitan, I loved you!"

You.. er.. stole my thunder!o_O

[face_peace]
  18. Genome Jedi Knight

star 2
    Apart from the first scenes in AOTC, when Padme lands on the platform in complete fog and there is an attempt on her life. The shroud of the Dark Side, so to speak.
  19. Sidious-3 Jedi Knight

star 3
  20. thechozn1 Jedi Master

star 4

Yep, good eye.
  21. Yoda_Jedi_Luke Jedi Master

star 4
    I really love how Lucas used the weather as a tool, you can trust him to see the creative element in everything and really make it into a tool.

The weather at Vader's rehabilitation was brilliant and very effective, the perfect Frankensteins monster theme.

Using thunder and rain is a very common motif of course when introducing villains and was very effective in the film. The main storm outside, the storm of war, and more literally, the Sith lightning that Sidious was expelling all add to a melstrum of dark tragedy and evilness.

And at the end, on Tatooine, a new child is given to new parents, as they watch the suns set on the day and look forward to a brighter tomorrow, when this new child will redeem the galaxy, and end the storms that rip peace apart.

Corny of me to explain it, but Stsr Wars brings out the poetic side in me, it really energises me.
  22. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    When I was watching that scene for the first time, I had the feeling that Palpatine was actually using the dark side of the Force to make it thunder storm like that. Did anyone else have this impression?
  23. MaceWindu_is_GOD Jedi Knight

star 3
    Cool MS. I'll have to listen for that change of volume in that thunder when I watch it tonight.

And if it does, then it is a symbolism of how Palps was holding back with his 1st lighting and then it got louder when he said Unlimited POwer!! which means he went all out on Mace punking the Jedi Master like nothing.

;)

24. COMMANDER76 Jedi Master

star 4
    You mean you actually have a copy of ROTS and still voted "NO" in the GREAT DEBATE???

All I can say to that is WOW:-B

"you need to report that your skills have vanished.....":p
  25. MaceWindu_is_GOD Jedi Knight

star 3
    C76 LOL.

I voted No for I am a Mace fan.

But logic points to Yes, that Palpatine planned to be the victim all along to finally lure Anakin, frame the Jedi Order, and to show the Senate why he had to purge their long time guardians and re-organize the Republic into an Empire.

"Commander Cody, THE TIME HAS COME. Execute order 66."

Great timing. Thanks to being at Mace's mercy, Palps had a reason to say that. Hmmmmmm.

;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.