THX-1138 APPRECIATION THREAD!!!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucasBuiltMeHotRod Jedi Knight

star 2
    I finally broke down and rented this last night. after years of hearing about it, nothing could have prepeared me for how dark Lucas is really capable of getting! The feeling is so cold and the future utopian society is so Orwellian. I loved it. Lucas's own version of 1984. This movie gives me great hope for the darkness needed in episode 3. id love to hear what anyone else thought of this movie!!!

From our forum index;

George Lucas written / directed
    films

It's good to up and rejuvinate the older threads. Helps preserve the forum history.

As always, if a thread in the index is locked, I will unlock and up it on request if someone has further info to add.
    />
  2. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well I've never seen it so I can't really appreciate it. I know the film is rated PG but isn't really more an R or PG-13?
  3. LucasBuiltMeHotRod Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah, if it came out today, it may probably have been PG-13, or maybe even R, for the nudity. Nudity in a Lucas film, how odd!
  4. Darthkarma Jedi Master

star 4

For a 25 year old making his first movie,
    THX was a remarkable accomplishment. The budget was about $ 750,000 which in 1970 was a film student's DREAM. He was through with USC and the sky was the limit. He did a lot with it, it was unusual subject matter. But so much of what was to come in the future is seen in crude form in THX. It's an awesome document of a genius artist at the beginning of his journey. Both Lucas's strengths and weaknesses are present.

Most significant is the final image of THX. The main character looking at the sun in all's glory. Looking at the horizon, thinking of the possibiliities, the future.

Does that remind you of anything...like perhaps Luke looking at the twin suns of Tatooine in A NEW HOPE? :)
  5. LucasBuiltMeHotRod Jedi Knight

star 2
    Totally Darthkarma! And what is so great about that ending scene is that your eyes become used to the tranquil whiteness of the movie for an hour and a half, and then the sun comes out. Its like a breath of fresh air. Aaaaaahhhhhhhh!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.