THX 1138 DVD / trailer / new Web site

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by AdamBertocci, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clear_Water Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Wow, that's WILD! I like that - creepy. For a sec I thought he'd added dozens of cgi Gremlins to the shot!

[face_laugh]
  2. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The new trailer is very creepy, but cool. :cool:
  3. wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Very nice :cool:

EDIT:

Last time I saw THX 1138 was on October 17, 1997. I know it was that day because it was on the Canadian sci-fi channel "Space: The Imagination Station" on they first day the channel was on the air (and that was October 17, 1997 according to their website).
  4. solojones Force Ghost

star 9
    Nice ;) I have never had a chance to see it because nowhere around here has it and I haven't been able to catch it on TV.

I fear the limited release won't come to theatres here. How I wish I lived in LA at times like this :mad:

-sj loves kevin spacey
  5. Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hey, has anyone found anything secret on the website, like screensavers or anything that isn't easily found?
  6. Jon Jedi Youngling

star 2
  7. Jon Jedi Youngling

star 2
    "It is the 25th century. Humanity has crept underground to live like insects in a high-tech computerized hive where men and women live in a drug-soothed stupor with no names, no identity, no hardships ... and no memory of the birthright they have forsaken"
    SW.com THX article (previously in the SW Insider).

I love the critics reaction to the direction Lucas took with Star Wars. Imagine is Star Wars had been THX2... :eek:
  8. Jon Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Ain't It Cool has a review of the Directors Cut here.

Eep.
  9. Jumpman Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Did you think they would give George a positive review?

This is AICN after all.
  10. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Meh, I'm not loving what I've been seeing of the director's cut so far. Why does he always have to change stuff... Why can't he just touch up on the quality a bit, fix some mistakes, and call it a day?
  11. Jumpman Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The review makes it seem like he's changed the entire damn thing. From what I've seen, it looks like a few enhancements here and there. Plus he only talked about 3 changes. 3 changes in a 2 hour film. That's not many at all in my opinion. Definitely not enough to make a difference.

12. isbagent1 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh man, that trailer sent chills down my spine...

"What's wrong?"
    "What's wrong?"
    "What's wrong?"
    [face_worried]

Trailer 1
    Trailer 2

From the looks of things, three more trailers will be put up on the site in the future...
  13. superxero Jedi Youngling

star 2
    'Meh, I'm not loving what I've been seeing of the director's cut so far. Why does he always have to change stuff... Why can't he just touch up on the quality a bit, fix some mistakes, and call it a day? '

Did he change the story and character motives in this movie too?
  14. waheennay Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There was already a review of the "Director's Cut" on AICN posted by somebody a week ago. It details all the changes. I just rented the old version on video and personally I don't mind alterations like having a big factory shot because how they originally showed it was pretty lame. It's just THX building a robot cop the way you control those "grab a toy" machines they have at Chuck E. Cheese! The reviewer also complains about adding more people on the scaffold for THX to crash into at the end tunnel chase. But in the old version it was just like one dude, even though it's supposed to be the trackers said there was some big construction going on! The scene I thought was the most interesting is when THX is in that white space prison and he's being watched on a monitor by two offscreen voices and they're casually shooting the breeze while torturing THX by remote!
  15. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

when THX is in that white space prison and he's being watched on a monitor by two offscreen voices and they're casually shooting the breeze while torturing THX by remote!

I think that scene is gonna surprise people the most.
    It's a classic in it's own way. [face_laugh]

A lot of people unfamiliar with THX are in for some surprises with this one. It's not the Lucas they're expecting.

BTW...the cinematography of that film is AWESOME.
  16. waheennay Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Watching THX recently I realize how ordinary the style of the Star Wars movies is. GL really limited himself and chose a more basic way of shooting than THX.
  17. malducin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well THX was done for a lot less money, and even the budget for SW was tight even by those days standards. Actually I like it that way because it shows the great resourcefullness in making the film. Kinda like independent pictures. I don't think not having it be grandiose because it's scifi doesn't mean it's bad.

I think it's more than 3 changes. Just from looking at the trailers. So who knows how extensive the alterations are. Let see, we have: revamped holograms, one shot at least of the factory, one cityscape shot, one subway shot, I think at least a couple shots of the finale (climbing up the tunnel and maybe the final shot), ... don't remember any more.
  18. Jon Jedi Youngling

star 2
    You've got the new shell dweller things too.
  19. Palpateen Jedi Padawan

star 4

anyone who hasn't visited that thx1138movie website is missing one of the most unusual online experiences of the year.....it's quite cool :cool:
  20. frozen_ugnaught Jedi Youngling

I haven't seen this film, but after seeing trailer and site I'm really looking forward and excited! It looks excellenyt. Although nowadays - after 30 years -it may loose some of its appeal, after we have seen several films similar in some way (like "1984").

I was trying to find some way to compare it to anything in SW. And I think that Kamino with clone factory seem the most alike. There is some reimiscence in its feel, though obviously AOTC is not that dark.
  21. waheennay Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "Moriarty" actually gave a positive review of the THX special edition at AICN. He usually hates it when George makes changes to his movies. Click here and scroll down.
  22. yodaboy Jedi Master

star 5
    Looks like all the cities and theaters are now up on the thx site. The closest theater to me is a digital one in chicago... although I've been able to find nothing out about theater times yet.

Rachel: It would appear that it's playing in Lawrence, which I assume is close to KC... hey, at least you're not in St. Louis, it's just big enough to be a big city, but we get passed over for everything...
  23. Jon Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Another review at AICN, a new trailer from the OS (more of the factory), and poster offer at sw.com.
    Doesn't look like I'll get to see it in a cinema. :(

What's wrong?
  24. starwarsagent Jedi Youngling

star 5
    this movie looks fantastic. im going to see it here in san diego at the mira mesa movies. ive seen this film over and over again. its one of lucas bests films. if you cant go see this buy the dvd. damnit!
  25. Blur Jedi Grand Master

star 4

I just saw the director's cut/enhanced edition of THX-1138 at a local theatre, and was VERY impressed. Not only was the digital print I saw better than any other print I've seen of the film, but the enhanced/added scenes VASTLY improve the film; it would have looked too dated without the changes. As it stands now, it doesn't look TOO dated.

Anyway, here are the changes that are the most noticeable:

The scene with THX working on the assembly line - this is much bigger in scope now.

There is a scene with the robot policemen in some sort of room; obviously CGI, but still very cool

The car chase scene at the end is also much improved over the original.

THX is attacked by monkey-like "Shell dwellers" at the end of the film - they're very creepy looking. I don't remember seeing these before.

And too many others to list.

Suffice it to say that the print looked so good, the movie seemed like it had been filmed yesterday - incredible! And, the sound was top-notch as well.

The strange thing was, I saw this at a late afternoon showing and there were only 4 people in the entire theatre; and, one of them left halfway through the movie, making only 3. Maybe a lot of people aren't bothering to see this in the theatre because of the DVD coming out next week.

Anyway, I am curious to know what other people's theatre experiences have been. Was the theatre full/empty? What was the audience reaction?

I am glad that this film was re-released with the additional changes. It was a long time in coming.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.