main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THX-1138 is one weird movie.

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by v8er77, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. v8er77

v8er77 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2007
    I first saw THX-1138 16 years ago. I thought it was weird then. I bought the dvd 2 years ago, but only got around to watching it again recently. It's still a weird movie. In some ways it is an arty movie. It's not your conventional sci-fi movie. It's hard to believe this was directed by the same man that directed Star Wars movies. Thx-1138 is quite a contrast to Star Wars- right down to the masturbation machine. I like THX-1138, but the dialogue is crazy: "2345 we have a 29 in a 342. Could you get 4345 to get 29 to help 2345?"

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The thing about everybody being nothing more than a number, is a serious point though. In this society, everybody has lost their individuality and instead of having personal names they are nothing more than numbers. People have themseleves become pocessions and you could think of the number as being like the barcode of the millions of items found ina supermarket, for instance.

I wrote a long piece on THX last year which you may like read HERE at your convienience. :)

3. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I saw it several years ago during a strange binge of fringe sci-fi movies...what I couldn't believe is that Robert Duvall played the lead, seeing some of his later films, I would have never thought off him acting in a sci-fi movie.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Yes it's strange, but fairly good. I wonder how it would be seen if it were released in present times.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

If you listen to the DVD commentary with Lucas and Walter Murch, it becomes am even more
    remarkable film. They talked about their motivations in making the film originally,
    the themes and issues they were trying to explore. My god, most of what they were
    trying to say about society, through the camoflauge of THX is even MORE TRUE TODAY!
    It's scary. Things have gotten worse, not better.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Indeed. THX was Lucas's comment on late 1960's society and where he felt society was going. It was a bleak vision of the future.
    I would LOVE to see him do another movie of this kind, based on what he feels about todays society and where its going. I suspect it would be a even bleaker picture than THX...

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Yes, i agree. It really is shame that he basically quit making movies--he was one of the most talented directors of the 1970's, and given that the period was the height of American cinema that is really saying something. He says he wants to do this type of film again but I have an interview with from 1974 where he says the same thing. I figure he's got about ten more years before he retires for good so maybe there is still hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.