main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ THX 1138

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SWNZ, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Who's seen this film?

I've been meaning to see it for a long time but have never done it. I see they are releasing the DVD in September so I thougt i'd check it out. Just watched the trailer and it looks really good. Pretty wacked out website too, Takes a bit to work your way around.

THX 1138 Website

Trailer

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I forced myself to watch it back when I started modding the "LucasFilm Projects" forum. It took me about a week to get through it.

I guess it's all clever and arty and stuff. But God it's boring.

I'll probably hire the new touched-up DVD and try again. I'm most interested it the original Film School version. I get the feeling that will be snappier and better paced, with the theatrical version having been padded out a fair bit to fill in the minutes.

3. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Yeah I heard it was a piece of work to get through. Probably similar in vein to Space Odyssey, I had to give up on that one. Drove crazy with boredom.

4. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I love 2001: A Space Odyssey :) <- (yea, spot the film student) We have one of those old 1980s read along book and cassette versions of it, and it used to scare me, heh heh. I caught it on tv once, and I also saw it at the St James theater on the occasion of its 30th anniversary. Keeping in mind that it was made before the 1969 moon landing, I think it really captures the wonders and fears about space travel at the time.

I also really like Hal ... the parts where he comes in are probably the most fast-paced, lol. He's got such a disarming voice for a murderous computer. 'Everything is fine, Dave.' //shudders.

I haven't seen THX ... I don't really like the whole 'distopia sci-fi' genre. I didn't enjoy Blade Runner. I might give it a look sometime. I have seen American Graffiti.

5. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I liked 2001 too, can't remember if I read the book or seen the movie first, but the movie is pretty confusing. I think they showed it on tv on new years day three years ago.

6. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    i have tried on a number of occasions to watch it but keep falling asleep.

7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I remeber watching THX-1138 about 3 years ago just to see what all the hype was about. Can't say that i was that impressed, it was a nice concept but pretty much it was just boring and uneventful.

As for 2001 - i love that movie. Especially the music, hal and most of all the monkeys at the start...who doesn't like monkeys [face_monkey] [face_monkey] :D

8. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    This movie is really hard to watch. socially critical - as you'd expect. has a huge orwellian touch and is rather good, but very very lengthy.....

-Mel

9. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I like monkeys, especially the Rhesus variety.

how long is it? (the movie i mean)

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    About an hour longer than it should be.

11. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    About an hour longer than it should be.

the new version (does anyone know what's different??) or the old one??
    I definitely know what you mean when you talked about the old one...very very lengthy film....

-Mel

12. isbagent1

isbagent1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2003
    Trailer 2

Looks like 3 more trailers will be added to the site...

does anyone know what's different?

New special effects, lighting, maybe dialogue. Like the Special Edition SW films.

13. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Saw it 3 years ago after finally finding a copy ofit on VHS. Bored me to tears - the story was really great but the arty low-budget visuals were just too distracting. I'm looking forward to seeing it all CGed up in widescreen. :D

14. THX1138-4EB

THX1138-4EB Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2002
    I read a while ago, shortly before George Lucas started making the prequel trilogy, that he was planning to re-make THX1138 as a TV mini-series. I don't know if he's still planning to do that

15. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    There was an interview with George Lucas about THX today in the Sunday-Star Times. Interesting stuff, and it seemed like it was actual local interview too, because the New Zealand situation was talked about. It should show up online at some stage.

16. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Could you scan it?

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    What "New Zealand situation"?

18. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    The interview was about independent film, so the New Zealand industry was mentioned at one point ... can't recall the exact quote. If I find the paper again, I'll take another look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.