main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THX-1138

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by SniperShot006, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SniperShot006

SniperShot006 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2006
    what is THX-1138?

2. Rekam_Ehtknaht

Rekam_Ehtknaht Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2006
    THX-1138 is a movie released in 1971 directed by GL :)

3. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Umm...could you be more specific? Do you mean the film, the references in the other Lucas films, etcetcetc.....

If you mean the movie it's Lucas' first. It's a scifi movie set in a dystopian future.

4. SniperShot006

Mar 30, 2006
    what is it about? isnt THX-1138 a stormtrooper identification?

5. Rekam_Ehtknaht

Rekam_Ehtknaht Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2006
    THX-1138 (?0 BBY) was a stormtrooper that joined the Imperial military some time before the Battle of Yavin. He met his end in the destruction of the first Death Star over Yavin.

Pretty much non-Canon if you ask me.

6. SniperShot006

Mar 30, 2006
    ok.. .so is it a movie about this trooper?

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    No, its George Lucas' first film. The stormtrooper in star wars was named after this film in tribute.

The film concerns a man living in a futuristic totalitarian society where everyone is drugged up to be complacent and love is forbidden. Everyone is identified by numbers and not names, and the name of the main character is THX 1138. He stops taking his medication and has sexual relations with his wife, thus prompting his arrest and imprisonment, which he must then escape from.

It has nothing at all to do with Star Wars.

8. SniperShot006

Mar 30, 2006
    ok thanks! have u seen it?

9. CMR

CMR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    it is truly a beautiful and thought provoking film

pardon the cliché but it's true

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I smell an inconsistency here. How is it someone would think THX-1138 was a stormtrooper identification and yet still know to post in this forum?

On the other hand this thread is funny.

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I think he was just confused--Lucas made a film called THX 1138, which is also a stormtrooper apparently, but it is not part of the star wars series but is mentioned in this forum frequently.

[face_laugh]

Snipershot this film comes highly recommended from me but you may not like it, as it is a very slow and relatively abstract type of film and definitly not at all like Star Wars.

12. Jedi_Master_Johns

Jedi_Master_Johns Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2005
    If you haven't noticed, THX-1138 is a "inside-joke" or tribute of sorts at Lucasfilm. THX was Lucas' first film. Ever since then he's integrated "THX-1138" in a number of the Star Wars films. Most catch that on the back of a battle droid in episode I when Jar Jar exclaims "They are broken!" and knocks down the broken droid at the end of the gungan battle. It is also noticeable in Episode III at the battle of Utuapa and it shows the back of a battle droid sniper shortly before it is cut down. The only example of the THX I could find in the OT is what you described from the Prison rescue scene, however.

RJ

13. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    I highly recommend it too. It's a true masterpiece! But don't expect anything like SW. This is a whole other way of making movies that you'll either like or not. But it's still worth seeing anyway to see that movies are not all Hollywood. ;)

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    "Send Rogues Ten and Eleven to Echo Station Three-Eight" ;)

15. darth_herard

darth_herard Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2006
    I have'nt seen it nether SniperShot006 so you're not alone.

16. DarthKakarot

DarthKakarot Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 9, 2005
    Theres also a reference to 1138 in the Smallville Episode 'Thirst'.

Lex has a secret project named "1138".... coincidently, Carrie Fisher stars in that episode.

17. TheMcguffin

TheMcguffin Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    It's a very interesting film. Not in my favorites by far, but it's pretty neat to see how George Lucas evolved as a filmmaker. I recommend watching the student film version first. Get the two-disk DVD set and you can watch them both.

18. ServantOfWaru

ServantOfWaru Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2006
    It is a great movie, but again George Lucas's cahnges helped and hurt this movie, but mostly hurt it. I mean c'mon, the monkeys. Anyway, it is interesting how much George Lucas was able to do in this movie with such a small budget.

19. -DarthMetallus-

-DarthMetallus- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2003
    Honestly THX-1138 is a better movie than Star Wars.

It has much more depth and meaning. Truely brilliant first film, and IMO the greatest Sci-Fi film of all-time. I hope that now GL is done with SW, that he will go back to making these type of films.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I love that film. Very non-commerical, experimental, and thought-provoking. As for the changes he did with it, they didn't bother me.

21. Captain_Kazan

Captain_Kazan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.