main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THX and its relationship with major studios

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Wampas_Have_Dandruff, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Something occured to me as I was looking over the new Indy box set (I'm promised it for Christmas, so I can't buy it yet....aaaaargh). As far as I know, these are the first DVD's from Paramount since Titanic to be THX digitally mastered. In the heyday of Laserdisc, the THX logo was on almost every release worth owning, but since DVD become popular, only Fox and Buena Vista/Touchstone/Disney have been using it regularly. Even releases from Steven Spielburg, like Jurassic Park and ET (which were THX on laserdisc and VHS) have not carried the THX logo. I know THX had some issues in the early days of DVD (such as signing off on non-anamorphic, non-hi def laserdisc transfers for use on DVD) but they have had their act together for a few years now and I wonder why the studios they used to work so closely with no longer seek their help. Universal in particular could definately benefit from some outside help in the quality control department, so they don't have to keep replacing defective pressings.

Also, is their any difference between discs that are "THX Digitally Mastered" (Star Wars I and II, Indy) and discs that are simply THX certified (Signs, Who Framed Roger Rabbit)? Does THX actually do the mastering in-house, or do they just send people to oversee the process at the respective studios? Just curious, I'd love to hear from anybody who knows.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    It seems to me (after discussing something similar with some guys that know quite a bit more) is that simply studios are lazy and don't want to do the extra expenditures unless it's an extremely high profile release. Kinda the same reason many so called "special edition" DVD don't have much in the way of extras, making the special edition label mostly meaningless. Reason also why some films have no audio commentary or sloppy ones. I thnk Arnie demanded a few hundred thousand dollars just to do commentarty for one of the special editions DVDs I believe. With a larger buying public there is porportionally less bvuyers demanding high quality. If just having regular dolby and a couple of extras is fine by average Joe Sixpack, studios won't lift the finger. Seems to me the LD crowd was more discerning, more of hardcore film lovers and demanded more quality. My 0.02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.