main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Thy Rod and Staff [Mass Effect 2/SW Crossover] (Updated 2/10)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Harpalyce, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    Luke still hadn't gotten used to how quiet it was at night.

Technically night held no real meaning. They weren't locked in orbit to a planet trying to match time with a capital city. Even the night shift crew, foisted out due to hotbunking for space, was quiet. Perhaps it was because they were in Batarian space, stealthed and slipping through the stars as subtly as possible. But the psychological effect was interesting, as now the lights were dimmed in false night and the crew deck was empty.

Luke sat at one of the long tables, clutching a cup of hot cocoa. The warmth was soothing. He hadn't actually taken a sip yet, content to just breathe in the steam. Maybe it would clear his head and he could think straight enough to go back to sleep...

As Shepard came in, he sat up a little straighter. But her head was down and she was busily scrolling through a list on her omnitool. Her belt sat heavy on her hips, and as she shuffled around to a storage container by the medbay, it only got heavier. Pack after pack of medigel went into her belt's pouches until they were nearly overflowing. She didn't see him to the point that she jumped when he called out quietly: "Shepard?"

She gave a nervous laugh, straightening. "Damn, kid, you scared me a little." Her clever blue eyes looked him over and she gave a nod. "Nightmares, huh?"

"Yeah." A tired smile tugged on one edge of his mouth. "Something like that."

Shepard was already in her armor, but the gesture was still tender as she reached out and ruffled his hair. "Yeah, I've been there. Get another cup of cocoa and get some rest, kid, or at least try. I know it's hard. No running yourself ragged while I'm away."

"Away?" As soon as he said it, the reason why she was in her armor clicked into place, and she nodded.

"Yeah, just for a few days. Quick jaunt. They just want me to go, which is why I'm carrying the world and a half," she said, slapping at her belt and giving a soft laugh.

He paused to finally take a sip of the cocoa - the rich taste was something wholly unique to this universe, and part of him was already planning to smuggle as much hot cocoa mix as possible back with him - and frowned. "Do you have to go?"

"Yeah, yeah. Afraid so. But I'll be back by tomorrow. Get in, get out, real easy." She smiled broadly, stretching lightly.

But there was something else. Luke could feel it twisting in his gut, gagging and choking and squirming. He knew it was the Force at work - which side, he couldn't say. All he was sure of was that this same sort of clawing anxiety was exactly what he felt before Bespin - before chasing down each corridor with his blaster drawn, catching glimpses of Han trapped in carbonite, hearing Leia scream that it was a trap, and then facing down Vader...

"Shepard." She was obviously surprised at how worried he was. "I have a... I have a very bad feeling about this. You're sure you have to go in alone?"

"Don't worry, I can take care of myself. All I have to do is grab some scientist named Kenson." Shepard lightly punched his shoulder. "Go finish your cocoa and get to bed. It's not like I'm going in completely silent. I have the encrypted frequencies locked in so I'll check in every so often, just a quick message. You'll wake up to a hello from me. So don't worry." Her smile was so calm and easy that he forced himself to be calm as he finished up the hot cocoa and she went down to meet the rendezvous point in the Kodiak.

Two days later, they had still heard nothing from Shepard.

At lunch, everyone was silent. Luke hadn't been able to eat, stuck in a near-mindless cycle of trying to calm himself. Meditation, exercise, endless cups of hot cocoa for sustenance as it was the only thing he could stomach. The gloom that had descended on the Normandy was palpable.

Luke wouldn't know that it was the same feeling that had filled the ship after Virmire. After Ashley's death, it was if the heart of the ship had been pulled out. It perhaps would have been easier if there was a body. But instead there was just anxious waiting. As they neared the 48 hour mark, everyone's sense of cheerful endurance was starting to unravel. Garrus, especially, seemed to be descending into some sort of nervous breakdown. Luke didn't know about all the tortured weeks Garrus had spent after Shepard's funeral. Luke didn't know how the turian was going insane thinking the one thing that had gone right for him had now been taken away. But he did notice the turian's shaking hands and dull, unfocused stare.

Someone's fork clattered against their plate, but that was all. Luke glanced over to Garrus worriedly before gently nudging his arm. "Are you all right?"

Garrus gave a small, humorless laugh. "No," he admitted. "But I think you knew that, Skywalker." The usual friendly, warm glow to his voice had been replaced with rough anxiousness. But Luke was thankful that apparently they were good enough friends that Garrus let his head drop before rubbing at his eyes with his palm. "I just wish I knew if she was even alive."

"She's alive," Luke answered with quiet confidence. Garrus turned to stare at him half-glaring. Later Luke would ponder if he sounded too cocksure or too cheerful, but at that moment, the words just tumbled from his lips. "I've been meditating - I can feel it, through the Force. She's alive, I just..."

"Don't know where she is. Or if she's hurt. Or anything actually useful, you mean," Garrus snapped.

The turian was not typically an angry person, but this was a misguided wrath that had been steadily building by the hour. The entire table shook as he pushed himself away to stand. Luke opened his mouth to speak but was quickly cut off by Garrus towering over him. "Don't - don't even start! If I wanted some religious nonsense about how the universe is all connected, I'd hire an Asari prostitute, so just - shut your mouth and do something useful for once -"

His voice had raised to a shout, and the words hung in the air, everyone staring at him. Finally, Garrus seemed to realize what he was doing, and he stood ramrod straight, hand going to his mouth. "Damn. I didn't - I - um - ***t," he spluttered flusteredly before stuttering out something about calibrations and fleeing to his usual place.

Luke quietly got another cup of cocoa. At least the silence of the mess hall was broken by a steady murmur of gossip.

By the time he was finished, he quietly walked past the sleeping pods to knock at the main battery door. Garrus didn't answer, but the turian did drop his head, knowing immediately who was there: Luke was the only one who knocked.

"Hey," he greeted Garrus softly.

The turian shook his head, looking chagrined. "Listen, Skywalker, I'm - I didn't mean -"
    "It's fine," Luke soothed. It was one of those conversations where it would be easier if they weren't looking at one another, but at something else. As such, Luke leaned over the railing, looking out at the main battery as Garrus stood at his console.

"I guess you're here to check if I'm all right?"

"Something like that. And I'm guessing the answer is that you're doing as all right as can be expected."

Garrus nodded in silent agreement, shifting a little before glancing over to Luke and then back to the array of guns. "Skywalker, I have a question for you. And I need you to give me a truthful answer." He suddenly sounded so serious that it made Luke a little nervous.

"Of course. I'm not really the lying type, anyway." It was a brave attempt at making a lighthearted remark, but apparently Garrus was still having none of it (though thankfully in an exhaustedly anxious manner instead of a furious one).

"Are you in love with Shepard?"

A long silence followed. Something on the console chirped pleasantly. Garrus kept his gaze even, but Luke dropped his head, biting his lip, tapping his fingers nervously along the railing he was leaning against. "...Kriff."

His guilty tone said it all, but he immediately elaborated, hands going up in a gesture of helpless surrender. "I swear, I wasn't going to say anything."

"You know she thinks of you like a little brother," Garrus said, though a smile was starting to work its way onto his face.

"I know! I know. I wasn't going to do anything to get between you, and I know it's just a stupid - " He sighed, pinching his nose.

While other men would be furious, it seemed that finally something had been broken between them. It at least gave something for them to focus on other than Shepard's health. "Just remember you like red-headed human women who can kick your ass in a fight, and you'll be fine," Garrus gently teased.

(And somewhere in another galaxy, Mara Jade raised her head and noticed her ears were blushing as if someone were talking about her behind her back.)

Luke sighed in relief at the friendlier tone, about to continue with another set of apologies before Garrus cut him off. "I'm not going to smack you around or anything, Luke. It's just..."

He paused, voice going softer. "It's just good to know there's someone here as worried about Shepard as I am."

2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi, Trying to get caught up, I lost track of it for awhile. Still very interesting, I do want to follow it.

My son just finished ME2 last night, I watched him for the last 45 min. or so. Because of you story I had some drift...and EWWW what they were using humans for...UGH!! [face_sick]

I'm trying to get him to read these stories now ... I think he would like them. :)

Keep up the good work adn very intriguing (and different!) story!

3. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    He paused, voice going softer. "It's just good to know there's someone here as worried about Shepard as I am."

He's not the only one!
    Nice to see Garrus is friendly as usual.

4. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    ME2 DOES have quite an ending, doesn't it, Obimom?? I'm afraid from hereon out we're getting into some of the DLC - this chapter and the one before are about the Arrival DLC, which is really worth the money. It packs some amazing emotional punch. (Plus the battles are pretty fun.)

Once we get over Arrival and some ensuing 'cooldown chapters' - since writing about Luke and Shepard being friends is really fun, even if it does involve a lot of her calling him "kid" and messing up his hair - we'll finally be to the GFFA. Promise!! PROMISE PROMISE PROMISE. It's gonna be great you guys. B)

---

Warning: collision imminent.

Luke's blue eyes snapped open.

Warning: collision imminent.

It wasn't EDI's voice, but it still rattled around his head. Maybe he had reached too far. It certainly felt like he had done the Jedi equivalent of straining a muscle. But he had almost been there - almost to the bright spot of light that he knew, or at least thought, was Shepard.

Perhaps if he really had read her mind, he thought guiltily, he deserved this headache.

Withdrawing quickly from such deep meditation was impossible. Even as Luke slowly paced, massaging his temples, time seemed to slip and slide as the Force flowed around him. It was like asking a tree to pick up its roots and lumber along; he had spent most of the day - or night - hours, he couldn't be sure - reaching such a state. He ran his hands through his hair, tugging slightly, breathing deeply. Perhaps if he stretched his legs out on the crew deck, he could clear his head. At the very least he could go see if any word had come about Shepard.

But there was still that phrase... Warning: collision imminent. His mind still chewed on the phrase in frustration. It was important... he just didn't know how yet.

The Normandy seemed to be abuzz with a certain energy, though he felt it more than heard it. Something was happening. There were no off-duty crewmembers lounging with a cup of coffee. The doors to the main battery had been flung open as if Garrus had just rushed out before Luke arrived, and Chakwas was pacing in the medbay. Agitation. Excitement. Relief. All of those floated through the air where he could almost taste them. He tried to remember Yoda's words and let the emotions roll past him like a rock observing a river's ebb and flow, just as he let himself be mindful of the dim buzz and glint of life on distant planets. Another deep breath, he coached himself, trying to ebb back into the reality of the moment. Chakwas would have an idea of what was going on.

He did not expect the sudden wall of anguish and death to hit him. Ben Kenobi had winced in sympathetic pain at Alderaan's destruction; Luke had been meditating and immersing himself in the Force. Perhaps the number of lives wasn't the same, but he felt the death of each planet - each batarian, each animal, each plant, each microbe. All of them resonated in the Force. It was a rushing riptide. Luke had been unprepared for it - and was swept away.

Above in the CIC, Shepard gripped the railing as she stared out at the wide holodisplay map, watching the red shockwave spread and obliterate everything in its path.

For a very long moment, nobody said anything. It was obvious what had just happened. The Bahak system was now completely gone. There were so many obvious questions about what the Batarian Hegemony would do in response - how absolutely furious they would be with humanity - or even why Shepard had allowed such a thing to happen. But nobody spoke up to ask them. Instead they all watched as Shepard hung her head a moment before reaching up to shakily pry her helm off. Her red hair was matted, her face sweaty; a few new cuts were evident on her face.

"Kelly."

"Yes, sir?"

"Open... open a comm line with Admiral Hackett. I'm not giving my report to anyone but him directly."

Garrus interrupted her by gently placing a hand on her shoulder; she instinctively flinched before forcing herself to relax. "Shepard - at least get yourself checked out by Chakwas first."

She stood there trembling for a long moment before giving a single nod in assent. By then Kelly had apparently reached the Admiral's secretary, if nothing else. "Commander Shepard, sir, the Admiral says he would like to debrief you in person."

"Good." Shepard's expression was dizzied and distant. "Lay in a course to... to whatever roundevous is most convenient for the Admiral. I'll, um..." She gulped solidly, reaching up to massage one temple. Garrus dropped his hand from her shoulder, but she reached back to grab for his hand in an almost clingy manner, unashamed to let the entire crew see. "I'll just get something to eat. Some water. I'll be fine."

By now everyone had noticed how Shepard was trembling. Garrus gently squeezed her hand. "Chakwas first."

"I just need a sandwich. I'm fine. I'll be totally fine."

"They're in the same direction," Garrus noted quietly. Shepard took a moment to nod in agreement to this.

By the time they reached the crew deck, Shepard had gained a small retinue of followers. Fortunately, the crewmembers wide-eyed about what had happened were drowned out by an argument from the Medbay.

"I'm fine, really! I just need to find out what's happened -"

"Absolutely not, Skywalker! You were in full cardiac and respiratory arrest for over a full minute -"

"I'm fine now, I promise..." He grimaced anxiously, but perked up significantly as Shepard made her way through. "Shepard! You're all right!"

"Yeah. Yeah, kid, I'm fine." She braced herself against the door, but didn't smile. Garrus squeezed her arm gently before drifting towards the back as she looked behind her shoulder. "Kelly - "

"Yes, Shepard?"

"Get... go get Liara on the line. And Miranda. Have them talk it over, find just a... just a little resort world somewhere. Something quiet with trees, okay?"

"...Trees, Commander?"

"Yeah. Trees. Book the entire crew a cabin, at least three days." She finally looked over to Skywalker. "I know that means a few more days for you stuck over here. I'm sorry, kid. I'm real sorry."

"It's fine, Shepard -"

"Anything in particular I should be looking for? Whitewater rafting? Spa facilities?"

"Just somewhere - somewhere I don't have to decide who lives and who dies, okay?" There was a long moment of silence as Shepard's voice trembled, close to breaking. She brought a hand up to hide her eyes, shaking like a leaf. "And trees," she added distantly. "There's gotta be trees."

Kelly murmured something to the affirmative, and they retreated back, leaving Shepard to stumble into one of the beds across from where Luke sat. Her gaze was more distant than Luke had ever seen, even as Chakwas flitted around her. "Can already tell you what's wrong, Chakwas. I haven't had anything to eat or drink in about two days. I think that rib's probably cracked. Probably." Shepard finally looked over to Chakwas, but only for a moment. "Not any of the intravenous stuff. Not yet. Just... yeah." She took a glass of water that Chakwas had offered, and the medic worriedly shook her head to consult with a panel of instruments.

"Shepard?" Luke's eyebrows knit in worry as he tried to catch her gaze, though it was still dull and distant. "What happened?"

She gave a solid gulp, cradling the glass of water in her hands, but didn't actually look at him. "You know that time I asked about your hand, kid?"

"Yeah."

"I'll tell you. Just not now, okay, Luke?"

He watched her face and gave a quiet nod, not wanting to press the issue further. Shepard continued to stare into the middle distance before giving another flinch as Garrus wandered in holding a plate with a rather messy sandwich on it and tapped her on the shoulder.
    "Jesus, Garrus, just give me some warning when you -" She paused, lips trembling, and something seemed to finally break through her stunned and blank expression. "Is... is that a fluffernutter?"

"Yeah. I don't know where things are in the non-dextro pantry so I hope it's okay."

She didn't correct him on the minor point that marshmallow fluff and peanut butter don't go on sourdough bread. Instead Shepard gave Garrus a light hug, and he sat down beside her.

"Hey, Garrus?"

"Yeah, Shepard?" He reached over to give her free hand a small squeeze, as if reminding her that he was still there.

"Do you have a favourite vid? ...Something you used to watch as a kid."

Luke watched as Garrus seemed caught off-guard. "Well... yeah. There's this cheesy animated thing, I guess, about this little, uh... mammal - I don't know what the Earth analog would be - who was a detective..." He laughed shyly, the natural vibrato of his turian voice making it almost like a purr.

"I don't care. I just need to not think about - about all this."

"Yeah. I understand."

It was a quiet expression of love - how they simply held hands - but it was still one that was so genuine that Luke had to turn his head. He hopped down off of his own bed before going over to Chakwas. "I'm fine, I swear. I just need to go meditate. I'll make sure to go meditate with Samara, just in case anything happens." The addition of that clause made Chakwas relax somewhat. The doctor looked to Luke, and then over to Garrus and Shepard before giving a small nod of agreement.

Luke made sure to slip out while Garrus and Shepard were distracted by quietly talking among themselves.

And when he went to meditate with Samara, the vast black of space seemed even more empty than usual.

5. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    As far as tourist worlds went, Zetti wasn't a bad one. The Asari garden world was still largely untouched, its climate rather cool, but a band around the equator was full of lush forest and dramatic landscape. The mountain lodge was still a bit cool compared to Virmire, which suited most of the crew just fine. Everyone seemed happy to sort themselves into different areas of the resort. Barely two hours had passed since touchdown before Joker had found the heated indoor pool and declared himself its ruler (after somehow conjuring up a Normandy SR-2 branded floaty inflatable chair) and Chakwas had laid out by the pool to catch a bit of sun streaming in through the glass roof. Miranda had, predictably, made herself comfortable in the spa. Even Jack had been tempted out to be sociable, going along with Jacob and a few others to do some rock-climbing. Samara was leading a hike through one of the nature trails. In short, everyone was settling into three days of selfishly enjoying themselves.

There was only one reason they felt free to do so. Before they docked, Shepard had addressed them with a bright smile and cheerful tone. Perhaps some of them had been worried, she said. Perhaps her report to Admiral Hackett had been leaked (which it had) and most of them now knew what had happened while she was away (they did). But she assured all of them that she was perfectly fine, and they were here to all relax. It was a pause for everyone to catch their breath before things got heavier. She wanted everyone at their best. And besides, Shepard had promised that on the last day it would be Skywalker's going-away party, so they all needed to have as much fun as possible.

It was a funny thing, then, how neither Shepard nor Skywalker seemed to be present during any celebrations.

Luke at least made a token effort, though he did seem more quiet and solemn than usual. Jacob was relieved to have the Jedi along for the rock-climbing expedition - at least one more sane squad member keeping Jack from playing frizbee with the more adventurous crew members was nice. When Jack challenged him to a race, and won, he was somewhat relieved that a fight didn't break out, though later he would confess to being absolutely amazed. Apparently whatever words had passed between them while they were both fighting back the sweat in their eyes and groping for another crag to lift themselves up was enough to bring at least a temporary peace. It was a begrudging respect, but still a respect.

But by the end of the second day, there was still no sign of Shepard.

Garrus worriedly alternated between trying to track her down and giving her some space. Messages sent from her omnitool assured him that she was fine, and her bed had been slept in, and meals delivered to her room. It was just as if she had decided to become a ghost.

Luke was the one who finally figured out where she was.

The sunset was beautiful, honey-dipped clouds on the horizon, golden light making the trees down the mountainside shine. Luke had found the open gabled dormer window, peered out, spotted Shepard, and then returned fifteen minutes later to gracefully climb out of it. Shepard herself was staring out into the sunset, perched on the rooftop, feet braced against one of the gutters. Her red hair was almost the color of the distant clouds, and her hand hovered near her lips as if she wasn't quite chewing on her knuckle but might soon start. She didn't look up until she heard the soft klink of the two beer bottles in Luke's hand. Even then it was as if the noise didn't quite push her out of some dream. "Oh, hey there, kid." Her smile was worn and tattered but she still wore it for his benefit.

"Came to see how you were doing," he said softly, sitting down on the rooftop beside her.

"I'm fine." Shepard didn't look at him, but instead went back to staring at the sunset. "I just needed somewhere to think. That's all. Somewhere with trees." She gave a small laugh. "Shows you that I'm still a spacer kid at heart. Trees are goddamn amazing."

"I grew up in a desert, I'm not going to argue with that." There was a soft pop as the two bottles of beer opened, and he offered one out to her.

"...Did you just open those with that Force stuff you're always using?"

Luke gave a small shrug as if to say he wasn't going to deny being a practical man, and a genuine smile flickered over Shepard's face. She reached out to take the bottle and klinked the two together in a silent toast.

"I'm surprised that you haven't tried to drag me inside yet. I already know everyone's ready to lend an ear. That's why I don't want them worrying about me." She drew in a sharp breath through her nose. "As long as you're here, though, I might as well ask a question."

He nodded.

"That space station you blew up. The Death Star, right? It had a substantial crew?"

"It had to; it was the size of a small moon."

"That's a lot of people, then." Shepard took a small sip of her beer. "...How do you sleep at night, thinking about all of them?" It wasn't an accusation, it was a genuine and desperate question.

Luke looked out at the sunset, sighing gently before admitting: "Sometimes I don't."

Shepard's fingernails tapped against the glass of her bottle. "At least they were soldiers. People who signed up for it. What I've done - just a whole bunch of colonists -"

"You had good reasons," Luke said softly.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure that's what your dad would've said about Aldera - or whatever that planet was called." Shepard reached up to rub at her face. "Goddamn, kid. I keep looking over my shoulder, expecting him to come telling me that we're exactly the same person, and me having to sit here wondering if he's right." Her voice shook, as did her hand, making the bottle waver.

His hand went out to clasp her shoulder, squeezing gently. "Something I worry about every day."

Down below, the sunset was sliding on into twilight. Some of the crew had decided that there must be a bonfire, much to the amusement of the Asari owners of the resort. People were already starting to circle around the fire. Someone had even managed to find a guitar and had started strumming it in a rambling and aimless yet pleasant tune. The silence between them wasn't uncomfortable, but it nonetheless persisted until Luke next spoke.

"Shepard -" He paused a moment before almost correcting himself and using her first name. "Delia." It didn't seem to quite suit her, for some reason, but he continued on anyway. "You remember when you asked about my hand, and I told you that I'd explain some other time? ...And you said the same about what happened on your solo mission?" He reached his gloved hand around, offering it to her for a handshake. "I'm willing to hold up my end if you are."

They both knew the endings to those stories. Out of politeness, Luke had not snooped at Shepard's full report to Hackett, even when given the chance. But they both clearly saw the consequences. Perhaps Shepard was wearing her wounds in a way that was less obvious than Luke's single black glove, but they were there. And Luke was offering to help share her burdens, if she was willing to do the same.

She reached out and shook on it. "Toss a coin to see who goes first?"

It was several hours later when the rooftop was finally unoccupied. The two moons of Zetti were both near-full, providing ample light. The bonfire was roaring in full force, and it was cold enough that most of the crew had switched from beer to hot hard cider. (Well, all but Garrus, who lamented the lack of dextro alcoholic options, but was glad enough to have proper food and a decent drink.) The guitar had been passed around to Jacob, who was surprisingly good with it, especially once he noticed a barely-visible-in-the-shadows Kasumi swooning over him. Luke seemed almost to materialize in the crowd: it was as if, on some level, he had always been there. Mordin was halfway through moderating a debate on if they could see Sol (and Earth) from their vantage point or not when he was interrupted by Shepard arriving. A cheer slowly rose from the group, and she shyly shook her head, laughing as she stuck her hands shyly in her pockets. "You're just excited because I ordered another round of cider to be brought down," she teased, milling her way through the crowd, giving the occasional cheerful greeting.

By the time she reached the bonfire, she floppily draped herself over Garrus' shoulders, making him turn his head. "Hey, you," he said softly, reaching up to touch her arms as they wrapped around his shoulders.

"Mmm." She took a deep breath, letting it roll out in a genuine happy sigh. "You smell like smoke and Garrus."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Yeah. Very."

Garrus gently squeezed at one of her hands. "You all right?"

Shepard took her time with an answer. "I'm... I'm going to be all right, yeah." Garrus noticed how it had changed from frail lies of being perfectly fine to a promise that although she was shaken now, she was recovering. And he relaxed, because he knew it was genuine.

"Yeah... It's going to be all right."

6. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    It was fairly obvious that some of the crew only sang 'for he's a jolly good fellow' to Luke out of the desire for Shepard to buy them another round. Even if some of the crew was still suspicious, it was an excuse for another party, and their last night on Zetti would be their last chance to party like that for quite awhile.

Shepard had already given everyone their assignments. The next few months would be hard ones. It was a time to try and gain support through any means they could. The Alliance was still furiously trying to figure out what to do with Shepard, and she was sure that landing on the Citadel would cause some sort of incident with the Batarian Hegemony at the very least. So she gave orders. Quiet ones. Cut ties with Cerberus after draining the accounts - every credit would help. Reach out to old mercenary friends. Tali had a long message to the Admiralty Board already planned out in a stirring speech, Grunt had a list of all the favors he could call in from Wrex on Shepard's behalf…

Kasumi, however, was the most excited. Mostly because as soon as they had docked to the small Cerberus shipyard station, Shepard had told her to go wild. By the time they were out of here, Kasumi would have casually pilfered all the interesting-looking bits of tech. And the third lieutenant's coin collection. And that nice-looking painting on the third floor.

After all, it wasn't every day the galaxy's greatest hero patted the galaxy's greatest thief on the shoulder and told her to do what she does best.

But there was a more pressing reason they were all here. Shepard stood with her hands behind her back in the wide docking bay, letting a tiny sigh past her lips as she looked up. The glass windows distorted them a bit, but she knew what was going on. Samara's eyes may have even been a little teary as she gave Luke one last hug goodbye. But they had to part, and they did.

Shepard met Luke as he came out of the elevator, and he gave her a tired but genuine smile. "Ready to go home?" Shepard teased.

He grinned. "Yeah… I think I am." He paused to look around the wide docking bay. A ship was off to the side - larger than a standard-issue Kodiak, though to Luke's eyes it was more along the size of the Millennium Falcon, perhaps a bit smaller. There was also a very familiar looking TIE fighter, its design modified from standard and wickedly sleek. Old scorch-marks from battles long over stood out on its hull like scars. Luke knew it instantly. It was his father's.

"Isn't Miranda coming to help with this?" He seemed a little anxious, peering around.

"Nah. She handed it off to someone else." Shepard caught his frown. "Don't take it personally, kid. She just hates you a little, that's all. …and yeah, I know it makes no sense. But it's for the same reason she hates me."

Luke gave her a Look, the sort of one deserving a capital L.

"Jesus, I wasn't going to say it's because of our stunning good looks," Shepard laughed before sobering somewhat. "No, it's because we just remind her of her failures. I dunno, I talked with her once before about it. She thinks her life is dictated by her genes, and compared to me - the little nobody spacer kid - she has all the advantages, yet I'm the one out saving the entire galaxy or whatever."

Skywalker shook his head. "I think you're forgetting that she probably thinks I'm just riding my father's coat-tails. So I guess we're alike to her in that way."

"Well…" Shepard paused. "It was a thought. Could just be that she's genuinely busy."

Truthfully, Shepard knew exactly why Miranda hated Luke. It was because he was charming, good-looking, and most importantly, was the genetic carrier of some amazing new force that this galaxy hadn't yet seen. Even with the family history of mental issues, he was the perfect candidate. Or at least he would have been. As it stood, he was a harsh reminder about her own failure and inability to bear children, and of how her desire to be a mother would be unrealized.

In any case, there was no time to summarize that (even if Shepard could think of a way to do it). A short young man in Cerberus uniform was jogging up to them, and gave them both a salute. "Commanders Shepard and Skywalker? I'm Lt. Juspeczyk, I've been put in charge of this handover."

"Good to meet you Jusp…" Shepard took a breath. "Juspecz… ****, I am so sorry."

He blushed a little, reaching up to rub the back of his neck. "It's fine, Commander. Most everyone can't get it. Just call me Julep."

"Julep? I bet there's a story about that nickname," Shepard said with a grin.

"Just some being reckless on shore leave, that's all," he admitted sheepishly, though he looked somewhat cheered when even Luke smiled at him. "But… yes. The Yukon-model ship has been retrofitted with a secondary propulsion system that functions the same way the fighter's does - hyperspace, I think the term supposedly is? But both also have the prototyped system which should allow cross-universe travel." He chattered to Shepard as she walked along, admiring the Yukon-class ship. Skywalker seemed to be distracted, eyes being pulled to his father's fighter across the way. "Cargo space has been sacrificed for a large set of memory banks - there's lots of basic information about what's going on here, of course, some sample blueprints, and more than enough processing power for a copy of EDI to come along. …I'd recommend keeping the virtual shackles in place this time, however."

Shepard shook her head a little, mentally making a note to disable them as soon as possible. The ship's ramp was down, and she could see a flicker of blue from just inside. "Hello, Shepard." Yes, that was definitely EDI's voice. "I hope you do not object to my inviting myself along, as it were."

"Hell, of course not, EDI! Always happy to have you." Shepard grinned. "Though… this is a different set of runtimes than on the Normandy, right?" She squinted in thought. "I suppose that means you're more like… EDI's daughter. …EDI-ette? What sort of parallel works best there?"

"All current runtimes and data will be re-integrated into the Normandy's system upon our return," EDI said smoothly. "In other words, Commander, don't worry about it."

Shepard gave a sigh of relief followed quickly by a grin, and looked up into the small cargo bay of the other ship. It was mainly banks of computers now, but that was a small sacrifice. "Cozy. Should be more than enough for three."

"Only two," Skywalker said very quietly behind her.

Shepard turned with a blink. "Is there some reason you don't want Garrus to come? I mean, there's enough room for dextro stock, and -"

Luke shook his head. "No. I mean…" He gestured across the cargo bay. "I'd like to take my father's fighter."

Her eyes widened momentarily. It was a strange request, but there was a certain odd logic to it. "Just make sure you've got your IFF codec updated and everything. I don't want to see you blown to pieces by your own people, that would be really embarrassing to explain."

"Of course. I'll be flying Rebel colors, don't worry," he said, grinning.

Juspeczyk coughed. "Well, there's… a bit of a problem there -" The Cerberus officer sighed. "The way we've been able to get the trans-dimensional multi-layered pulse-core - " He paused. "Slingshot drive. That's what it's nicknamed anyway. With the slingshot drive, there are three variables to the destination - place, universe or dimension, and time. If you have a firm place and dimension, that means the third variable is going to slip. You can program a jump slightly differently, but I'm afraid that means some chance of ending up in the middle of a sun or planet…"

Shepard grimaced. "What kind of slip are we talking about."

"Not an incredibly large one." He shrugged. "The maximum we've recorded with probes is… two, three days? Sometimes it's within hours or even minutes. It's just a variable you can't fully control. The mathematics dictates that it's highly unlikely it's going to be more than a month, so there's no chance of suddenly being stuck there for twenty years or something, but…"

"If it's only a few days, that's fine," Skywalker said quietly with a soft smile.

"You sure, Skywalker? It's no trouble to fit you on board this thing…"

"No, this is… it's something I've got to do," he said with a quiet conviction. "Besides, I have a point mapped out near the outer rim where there's a rebellion outpost nearby. It's secluded enough that we can just wait around for the other person if there's any substantial time difference."

Shepard considered this for a long moment and nodded. "All right. If you're fine with the risk, then I am." She stepped away, surveying the ship from the outside once again.

Juspeczyk quickly started talking again. "There's dextro food supplies on board as well as equipment, food stores… about a month's worth, all told. Also a small armory of retrofitted guns that have stable heatsinks - longer-lasting than ones you've had before, but they can still overheat if you keep up heavy continuous fire. In short, Commander, she's ready for your trip."

"Except for one thing."

The Cerberus officer stood a little straighter, eyes going wide, obviously worried he had missed some crucial detail. As Shepard paced back and forth, Luke swore he saw the other man break into a cold sweat.

"She needs a name."

EDI's voice floated to them from Shepard's omnitool. "May I suggest a reference to the beaches during the Normandy invasion, as to reference the Normandy SR-2? Names include Utah, Sword, Gold and -"

"No, no, no. This isn't a military ship, this is my ship." Shepard grinned. "Let me see… Nah, that's too obvious…." She wandered back and forth with a swagger before finally snapping her fingers and pointing at the ship. "I got it. Proud Mary."

The Cerberus officer stared at her blankly, and Shepard shrugged. "What? It's from a song that gets stuck in my head all the time ever since my mother enrolled me in that choir group focusing on hits from the twentieth century…" She looked a bit sheepish, quickly interrupted by a shout from near the elevator.

"Shepard! We ready to leave?"

"Yeah, Garrus, we were just waiting on your spiky ass to get here!" She teased with a large grin before looking back to Skywalker. "Are you absolutely sure, Luke? You know it's no trouble…"

"I'll be fine," he said firmly. "And thank you."

"Well then… see you on the other side, kiddo," she said, patting his shoulder with a grin.

There were a few more things to load in, of course, but Shepard couldn't help but pause and watch Luke climbing into the small fighter. The seat was a bit too large for him, and the controls weren't quite what he was used to. But he settled into it anyway.

Shepard couldn't think of anything other than a toddler trying on his father's far-too-large boots.

By the time the cargo bay doors opened to reveal the velvet blankness of space, pre-flight jitters had set in again, and Shepard was pacing back and forth in the small cockpit. Garrus chuckled a little to himself before catching her lower arm with his hand. "Hey - sit down, relax. This is going to be just fine."

"Yeah, yeah," she sighed, draping herself over the other cockpit chair but not actually sitting in it. "Just worried, that's all."

"You worry about everything these days."

"Well, yeah. That's my job, isn't it?" She gave the turian a lopsided grin, looking out over the haptic display. The ship's new name was already correctly identified in its codec, but it took her a moment to recognize the other small dot on the screen. Luke had changed the fighter's name from a generic, Cerberus-assigned number.

Instead, it was now the Inheritance. Shepard gave a small, soft smile at this before standing up.

"Coordinates and equations are set up and ready, Shepard," EDI's voice smoothly chirped. "Jump can now be initiated at your command." Shepard was busy staring out the small window, rocking from heel to heel as if about to pace again. Garrus's hand, however, hovered over the button that would send them… well, somewhere. On an adventure, certainly. Back to the universe that was Skywalker's home.

"Ready, Shepard?"

"…as I'll ever be, I guess. Hit it."

7. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Author's Note: Since I'm about to start writing on this story again, it has been fully updated for the new forums. All truncated posts are now fully repaired. If you see any slips let me know but it should be seamless. The same has been done with Yea, Though I Walk. :)