main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TIE Fighter

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthMak, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    OK, today was a grand day. I got TIE to work under Windows XP, and I'm already addicted to it again. I'm on battle 10, but I gotta know, how many battles are there? It seems like the game takes forever, which isn't exactly a bad thing. ;)

2. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
  3. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I remember how I thought I beat the game to find out I had more missions to go. I have to admit I enjoyed this game more than X-wing. I hope they do more flight sims.

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    pat-fett, are you talking about when the Emperor honors you on Coruscant? Because that was when I thought it was over.

SirLancelot, I got this off of gamefaqs.com. I hope you have success with it.

These are the steps I took to finally get TIE95 to work under XP. BTW, don't ask me about TIE disk or TIE CD.

1. Download the Microsoft Windows XP Application Compatibility Toolkit 2.0 from here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url= /msdn-files/027/001/685/msdncompositedoc.xml [remove the space in the middle of the URL]
    2. Install the toolkit you just downloaded.
    3. If it's not already installed, install TIE 95.
    4. Once TIE 95 is installed, go to the directory where it was installed (default is C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\TIE 95) Right click on TIE95.exe, and click the compatibility tab. Make sure nothing is checked there. And do the same for tiestart.exe.
    5. Now go to the location that you installed the toolkit from step one. (default is C:\Program Files\Application Compatibility Toolkit) When there, open the applications folder, and then startup QFixApp.
    6. Click on browse and select tiestart.exe (C:\Program Files\Lucas Arts\TIE 95)
    7. In the layers tab, select Win 95
    8. In the fixes tab, un check the Emulate Joystick option
    9. Click the advanced button.
    10. Click Add matching file... and select tie95.exe
    11. Expand all the options in the pane below this button (tie95) and check all of the boxes.
    12. Click the run button to test it out. (note: before you launch a mission turn off 3d support in the game)
    13. If it works, click the create fix button, and follow the instructions. If not, try selecting WIN 98 in the layers tab
    14. You should know be able to launch the game by clicking on the icon.

Note that this only works for TIE 95. If you have TIE disk or TIE CD, you may be out of luck.

Good luck.

Anyway, Totally Games has stated that they won't make any more Star Wars flight sims, which sucks royally, but the ones out now are good enough.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go play more TIE Fighter. I love this game!!! :D

5. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
  6. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Two words: Suh-Weet!

Thank you for that detailed walkthrough on getting it to work. I was mourning over the fact I might not be able to kill some Rebel scum anymore after my upgrade to XP. I will definitely give this a try (along with a bunch of my other older games).

-Jomero

7. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Never say never. Hopefully if they won't LA will find someone who will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.