main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TIE Fighters in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by plaidphoenix, Jun 4, 2014.

?

Will we see TIE Fighters in the ST?

1. Yes, they're still out there and we will see them.

34.0%
  2. We will see the next generation TIE Fighter

60.6%
  3. No, we won't see them at all.

5.3%
  4. Other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Mexico has some Boeing PT-17's still listed in "active service" for their military, those date back to 1934, but again... just used in airshows and as trainers... might as well be just civilian aircraft at that point.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup.

I wonder what "real world parallels" there would be?

The YT-1300 could be compared to a DC3 (at least in the EU) - it's an ancient vehicle, that can be used a passenger ship or cargo ship - with heavily armed variants like the Falcon being comparable to the Spooky.

The TIE fighter might be compared to those MiG-15s, Mig-21s etc (if it's still around 50 years after entering service)

The X-wing - maybe to the F-15 Eagle - a superfighter which lasts a long time.

Any other ideas?

Django Fett likes this.
  3. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Lesson in capitalism 101.C: Entertainment portfolios
    Film receivables(every revenue stream generated from the movie to it premiering in theaters to blu ray &digital sales trough television syndication*on demand and network and cable tv)..they can be bought in the credit markets as a type of commercial paper.or bonds if you wish,last I checked these on a bloomberg terminal these were rated triple A so there you go.

To attain the greatest value of these instruments one must cater to as many consumers as possible,catering to the majority of which I have no doubt wish to see TIE fighters on the big screen again.

Therefore I voted YES.

4. Twwwon

Twwwon Jedi Padawan

May 7, 2014
    Excellent point. Which means that TIEs could be pushing 100 years old. If they are still in use, it could point to stagnation in the galaxy, perhaps as a result of the Empire

dyous87 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    TIE's didn't enter service right after ROTS, the V-Wing had just entered service in time for ROTS so its highly unlikely a rival design would enter service virtually straight after the rival it lost out to. It more likely that the design and testing of the TIE started straight after ROTS since Palpatine wouldn't need any senate approval then. Anyway if TIE prototypes had been available during the Clone Wars then i'm certain that Jedi would be assigned them.

dyous87 likes this.
  6. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Y-wings would be the B-52 Stratofortress

Sarge and dyous87 like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We start seeing what look like TIE prototypes in Darth Vader & the Ghost Prison - set a few months after RoTS.

And they're in the Mist Encounter short story as well - set 19 BBY:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/LN_starfighter

In terms of longevity, maybe. They're not huge bombers though - but small torpedo-bombers.

Django Fett and dyous87 like this.
  8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    We haven't seen anything remotely close to huge bombers in film for the SW universe though... just Y-wings and TIE Bombers...

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Even in the EU, most bombers are not much bigger than fighters.

Given that the Malevolence episodes of TCW were inspired by the hunt for the Bismarck in WW2

maybe that would make Y-Wings the SW equivalent of the Fairey Swordfish AKA "Stringbag"?

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Too old and not in active service...

I'd say a better comparable would be something like the F-4 Phantom... still in use outside the U.S. as a fighter bomber.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True. If proton torpedoes are the equivalent of ship-killer missiles rather than torpedoes - the Super Étendard might work - pretty old - a strike fighter rather than a bomber:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault-Breguet_Super_Étendard

Sarge and EviL_eLF like this.
  12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Not bad, but I think my F-4 Phantom comparison fits the age a bit more. ;)

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Plus it's American - so if Lucas was inspired by the Eagle or the Tomcat when creating the X-wing (S-foil split may be like Tomcat swing wing) he may also have had something similar for an older counterpart.

The Astromech, in this paradigm, would be the RIO or "Guy In Back" ;) .

EviL_eLF likes this.
  14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Which... coincidentally... the Tomcat also required in all models! ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder what the A-wing analog would be - the Falcon, a small, one man, super-manueverable strike fighter?

16. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Maybe the F/A-18 Hornet.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    No... the big thing with the A-wing was it's tremendous speed.... it loses maneuverability at it's highest speeds, the Falcon is one of the best maneuverable jets out there...with a very high speed/maneuverability ratio for a jet without the later developed tech of thrust vectoring. That being said, the Falcon was actually NOT one of the fastest jets...

I think the best modern comparable would be the Su-27 Super flanker. It's newer than the F-16 and is faster - speed of Mach 2.35 vs the F-16's Mach 2.

Doesn't fit... as amazing as the Super Hornet is... it's slower than the F-16...

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's also huge.

All supersonic aircraft are going to be lacking in manueverability at maximum speed anyway. The A-Wing is portrayed as much more manueverable than the X-wing at low speeds, and with a high maximum speed (and in the Complete Vehicles cross-section book, it has thrust vectoring).

It's weaknesses - lack of armor and shielding (it has a shield generator, but not a powerful one).

19. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Right, so with thrust vectoring, we're getting into the Su-37 territory... again, an extremely fast Jet... I'm trying to find one that matches those top speeds without being huge, and there just doesn't seem to be a small superfast fighter... the smaller ones IRL are also slower ones. That doesn't fit the A-wing mold, which outpaces everything but Tie-Interceptors.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And in the X-Wing Miniatures game - it's better at high speeds than Interceptors are (5 straight is a Green Manuever for them - allowing them to recover from stress - whereas it's a White Manuever for the Interceptor).

The maximum accelerations for them in EU reference books are 5100G for the A-Wing and 4240G for the Interceptor.

21. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Ok, I think the closest we'll find is the MiG-29 Fulcrum.

It's not QUITE as small as the F-16 (3 feet larger wingspan, 7 inches longer in length), but still manages Mach 2.3, and even has variants with thrust vectoring.

Here's a MiG-29 pulling off the infamous "Cobra" maneuver...

[​IMG]

This images shows both the F-16 and the MiG-29, fairly similar in overall size...

[​IMG]

Oh... also of note... the MiG-29 entered service in 1983... the same year as RotJ showed A-wings entering service! ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If we go Old rather than New - the Saab Draken was old, small (single-engined) - and both fast and manoeuvrable - being capable of supercruise and having a high top speed.

The slightly larger BAE English Electric Lightning is another old but very fast fighter.

23. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Well... the A-wing was new "at the time" of RotJ, but would now be slightly aged, just as the MiG-29 is now.

30yrs old for the A-wing when the ST arrives, 31yrs old for the MiG-29 right now.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Makes sense.

Star Wars ship evolution might be a bit different than ours - with "the need for speed" continuing, rather than stopping and other things taking precedence.

The B-Wing's nearest equivalent might be something like the A-10 Thunderbolt II "Warthog" - massive guns, massive durability, but slow.

Sarge and EviL_eLF like this.
  25. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The A-10 is an absolute BEAST! I don't know if you've seen one in flight, but they are actually a really impressive sight!

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.