main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TIE Fighters in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by plaidphoenix, Jun 4, 2014.

?

Will we see TIE Fighters in the ST?

1. Yes, they're still out there and we will see them.

34.0%
  2. We will see the next generation TIE Fighter

60.6%
  3. No, we won't see them at all.

5.3%
  4. Other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I originally thought it was the back of the ship too (with a back firing turret), but there's like one frame where the TIE is lit up by it's green lasers where you can make out more details. it looks to be a slightly different design of TIE, with a horizontal shaped viewport/window. I believe it to be the front of the craft.

2. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Keep in mind this may or may not be anything official, but doesn't it look like there's a small bump/pod on the bottom of these TIEs? (Source)
    [​IMG]

3. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Yes, good call...those TIEs have turrets on the bottom, I guess??

dekaneas and Dak Oolron like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Or some kind of sensor/targeting antenna/array?

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    The turrets would make Ties a little more of a threat, though it seems like it'd be easy to blast your own wings off. Though that's a very imperial thing to do, throw recruits into a vehicle they're likely to get themselves killed.

vw_jedi, Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wouldn't worry about blasting their own wings off. Aircraft turrets have been designed to prevent firing at your own plane since WW2. Even if you can point a gun turret at your own tail, cutout systems are installed to stop your guns from firing until they're pointed in a direction that is safe (for the user!).

TK327, The Hellhammer and Dak Oolron like this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Interesting about the T.I.E. "wings" being white with black spokes - very First Order. It's as if they want you to see them.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Yeah. Thought the same thing.

I love the new TIEs. They look awesome.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    You beat me to the punch, Sarge! Here's Wikipedia's page on the synchronization gear, which is what I thought of first when Loupgarou mentioned the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronization_gear

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Two-man TIEs, with the gunner viewport in the back between the T.I.E. engine exhausts, and another giveaway is the big 'gear' structures where the panel wings connect to the central supports. (We know from Rebels you can squeeze even 3 people into a TIE, so it's possible)

11. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    That would fit rumors of Finn and Poe traveling together in one. Of course this goes against the design philosophy of the TIE fighter, but perhaps SFS/The Empire/First Order decided that adding a gunner was worth the additional weight/cost (makes sense to me). Then again, if TIEs really were as efficient as they were supposed to be, they should've flown circles around X-wings, not been roughly equivalent in dogfights... :p

The reference to Rebels points out another discrepancy between the new material and the old. Look at the difference in size/scale of the ship compared to the pilot.

OT:
    [​IMG]
    Rebels:
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    My guess is that the Incredible Cross Sections writer just wasn't aware how big TIEs really are compared to X-wings.

That TIE's length - from front to back - is 6.3m. The figure in the Databank is 8.99m. This figure is also consistent with the models in X-wing Miniatures (at the end of the rulebook, they discuss how they went right back to the movie models - and were quite surprised at the difference).

The Rebels TIEs probably have cockpits, at least, consistent with the new discovery - even if the panels are quite a bit smaller.

Jedi Knight Fett and Dak Oolron like this.
  13. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    I have no doubt that you're/they're correct. However, the Incredible Cross Sections drawing makes MUCH more sense to me considering the original design philosophy of the TIE. All that open space above and to the sides of the pilot seems like a waste. It is apparent that all of this has been thrown out the window in recent years, though, considering it has now been bestowed with repulsorlifts in both Rebels and TFA, just to name another feature that would've been scorned if you were truly trying to economize/maximize performance/eliminate independence...

Sarge likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Repulsorlifts are portrayed as incredibly energy efficient though - just the thing for moving around in atmosphere, with the thrusters for steering.

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    The original design philosophy of the TIE is pretty much EU anyway, and is long gone. TIEs, as already noted, weren't generally 'superior' to X-wings in combat situations despite the background stories about 'em. Now we know they do have life support, and are roomier which would allow for modding by the First Order to knock out the blind spot to the rear of the craft...no shields means they're more vulnerable, so having a rear gunner could be a great help. There may be a reason these seem to be special TIEs only, not the standard-issue ones. For all we know, they might have shields, too! One thing I'd love to see with ships in the ST is better representation of deflector shields... as fragile as the TIEs were supposed to be, Rebel ships in the OT were pretty much just as fragile (aside from a couple, like Luke's X-wing...I still don't know how a TIE following him managed to hit the front of his engine :p)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Rebels: The Visual Guide says they don't have life support- I would suggest that all they are, is airtight - with that one scene in Season One being explainable by "just enough oxygen in the cockpit to get them from freighter to Star Destroyer."

Jedi Knight Fett and Dak Oolron like this.
  17. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    I agree. Although you heard pilots mention shields, they didn't seem to do a whole lot in the OT. Seems like you should've seen a shot or two hit the invisible barrier and arc across its projected surface before giving way and follow-up shots damage the ship itself. Like you said, especially in the Battle of Yavin, TIEs carved up Rebel starfighters as if they had no shields at all! :confused:

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    A few of us have mulled this over before. It really does appear to be a two-seater. The front view port is the same as that of the classic TIE. The rear view port is a narrow rectangle. See the still from the film for the rear and the poster for the front. Both show the same type of TIE. Pretty sure the gunner operates the turret beneath the cockpit.

dekaneas, Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    For some reason this talk about a pilot and (rear) gunner has me thinking about MarioKart: Double Dash! :D

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I can just imagine a couple of First Order TIE crew climbing in:

"How are you feeling?"
    "Right now I feel like I could take on the whole Resistance by myself."
    "I know what you mean."

21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    That might work, but then there'd be a question of whether the Inquisitor's TIE had life support... and, perhaps more importantly, whether his helmet & armor somehow had an oxygen supply, since he took off his helmet while chasing the Ghost in space in one ep. If there's only a limited supply of air, then had Fulcrum's forces not shown up, the Specters would've been even more screwed. No hyperdrive, no life support, and nowhere really to go but hostile territory defended by a swarm of enemy fighters.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sounds like the TIE fighters were built by the same scale-challenged contractors who built the Klingon birds-of-prey.

23. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Ok, you're very right about that. But even without the danger aspect, that's a lot of space lost. You essentially have the ability to fire forward or backward moreso than the usual versatility of a turret. That's still a pretty big deal though, plus are these turrets in conjunction with the usual armament? If so, firing both forward for 4 blasts concentrated together is a scary proposition.

TooMuchBBQ, Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  24. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Yep, gives a sorta-regular TIE the output of a TIE Interceptor, in a more compact grouping.

25. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Woa awkwardly inadvertedly racist..ouch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.