main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tie Pilot/501st costume thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Anrev_the_Jedi, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Ok Bret, next time either Geoff or both of us see you next I will give Geoff the $$. :D

Wow what are thoses anyway?...

2. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    Thanks Em. Hey can you send your new boots along with Geoff on Friday to the filming so I can get a look at them? I want to see if I might want to go ahead and get a set.

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Helmet: Rubies (Anrev is working on some glitches in mine)
    Boots: Herman Survivors S/T Engineer II boots (just need to buy the frelling things)
    Chest Hoses: Bret has mine
    Patches and Decals: (see above)
    Flightsuit: I know where i want to get them...after the boots

However, we have yet to talk with anyone who has an eyewitness opinion.
    LOL!!! I don't understand what the problem people have (or claim to have) with them. Sure we're re-painting ours (I want to help Bret) but they seem to do the job well enough.

I'm seeing stars!
    I hope these are an April Fools Day joke...although I like being a "5-star" General (Rebel Strike Team) ;)

4. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I have four stars--much better than the two I had last year. ;)

Are we going to get the same brand of flightsuits?
    Mike and Bret's are the same. I think it would be a good idea. ;)

5. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    All real flight suits have a very similar cut and design. So most will look alike. When you get a difference is when someone uses a black coverall instead of a flight suit. If you get one of the $36 flight suits I have listed on one of the previous pages you'll be fine.

Mike what place did you get our? Check Six?
    This is a good place AND they have orange Brian!
    http://www.gr8gear.com/?id=20000817254647&item=826

6. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Mike gave me the link for where he got his. But I'll have to look through my old OM's from OG to find it. And I'm too tired tonight. ;)

7. Beltayn

Beltayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    I got the flight suit through US Cav for $36.99.

As for the boots- you might want to keep everything as 'dress-right-dress' with the other TIE Pilots as possible. I know it's tough finding decent boots, and everyone wants to buy as cheap as possible (due to money constraints), but try to avoid buying cheap garbage (unless you're one high-speed, haiku-writing mofo and you know how to make your own boots). I traded a Ukrainian major a pair of Cocharan field boots (jump boots- the type that paratroopers wear) for a pair of Soviet Army officer parade boots- the knee-high jackboots. He had modified the soles with rubber (so he didn't slip and fall). Needless to say, while being sturdy boots, the rubber soles keep coming off...

I won an auction for a pair of German Army officer parade boots (based off the style worn in the Wehrmacht and later adapted by the Bundeswehr in the 1960's). I wore them last Friday night (for those who saw them). The East German jackboots will work- but you want the smooth ones, not the grainy ones (footwear always seems to be the most difficult part of any costume, unless you're planning to spend a bit of money- trust me, I have about a grand invested in various boots and shoes). However, if that's all you have, then work with it. If anything, try to polish them up as well as possible (ask Bret about polishing boots- anyone who's spent a day in the military knows about spit-shines and morning formations in garrison)

Oh yeah...
    You know what those little stars mean?

You're a "special" person :p and the more stars you have... the more "special" you are :D

I only have one star... but that's ok... ;)

8. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    The boots that Emily and I have are pebble-grained. And when I asked on the OG boards, the guys seemed to think that they would be canon for us. ;) But they definitely need to be shined. I've never done it with a non-smooth type of finish before, though. So I could use a bit of help or advice there. ;)

9. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    got the flight suit through US Cav
    Those are the ones Em and I are scouting out...and I'm planning on buying mine sometime during the summer (after Pittsburgh ComiCon)

10. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Well I got a Darth Voice changing amp/mask in the mail today.
    [image=http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/8f/6d/cb_1_b.JPG] It has a switch to turn the voice changing part on and off AND DV breathing sound button. But that dosnt seem to work yet. But I'll fix it. This is what I'm going to use for my voice amp. It will need a new speaker but should work fine. The speaker thats in it is kind of cheap. I also have a Radio Shack voice amp but it dosnt seem to work so I'm taking it back and exchanging it. if one of you guys/girls wants, you can buy it from me.

11. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey, if they say the pebble-grain is good, then it's good!

As for polishing them, you can do it several different ways-

1) Kiwi (no, not the fruit) and a cloth. Put a thick layer on the boot, use a lighter to 'burn' it in (stinks a bit, but it gets the Kiwi into the pores of the leather), put a bit of Kiwi on the cloth, use a little water (you you want to spit on your boots, that's fine too...personally, I use water), then take your time. The end result is a mirror-like polish- just be careful not to scuff it up.

2) Buy the 'instant polish' stuff- it's a liquid with an applicator that allows you to basically paint the shine on. I was guilty of using it a few times (hey, sometimes trying to polish your boots when you're drunk doesn't turn out the way you intended!), but it'll work as a quick solution. Some of this stuff will peel off...especially if you walk around a lot.

12. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Ah yes the good ol days! That instant crap did work wonders but dosnt last like real polish.

Hey Mike. Geoff is supposed to bring me Em's boots on Friday nite. I'll bring the Kiwi. We cold sit and polish and reminess...

13. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I'll remind Geoff to take my boots with him tomorrow...now I need to find a way to get my flighsuit! :D

14. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    hey, sometimes trying to polish your boots when you're drunk doesn't turn out the way you intended!),
    [face_laugh]
    You crack me up, Mike! [face_laugh]

15. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Holding IM conversations while drunk is also a bad idea. (But I'd know nothing about that.) ;)

16. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    hey while you guys are at it, i got a pair of dress shoes that could use some work... ;)

-b-

17. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    I remember a time when I charged $10.00 a pair... or a 12 pk of beer...

Ahhh... the good ol' days :)

18. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Well the cogs should be here next week. He said he sent them out on Wednesday. So that should be early next week. CANT WAIT!!!

19. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Just a note - I may be getting my helmet finally by the end of this month. My finances finally have room to breathe later this month, so I'll have extra spending money. So I, again, key term "may", be getting one of those Rubies helmets. Or perhaps I should go with one of the cheap Don Post ones(would like to get into the 501st for sure since I know they frown upon Rubies helmets). But then again, since the rest of you have Rubies, I don't want to be out of place with a slightly different Don Post helmet...hmm, decisions, decisions.

20. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Don Post sold Rubies the molds they made their helmets with. So they all come from the same mold. So I dont know how ppl say the Rubies are not as good as the DP.

Here is the current Ebay list.
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&ht=1&from=R10&query=Tie+fighter+helmet&sacategory=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&sapricelo=&sapricehi=&soloctog=9&sosortproperty=1%26sosortorder%3D1

21. Beltayn

Jan 21, 2004
    DP/Rubies helmets tend to be a bit defective and take awhile to fix (especially if you don't have the time or the know-how to make them work- Bret can definately relate to this). Unless you want to pay about $200+ for an Altmanns (officially licensed by LucasArts down in Australia) or vacuuform your own, DP/Rubies is about the best you'll get for the price

22. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

Mar 9, 2002
    WOOOOOHOOOOO I just won my helmet from eBay!!! I'm catching up lol. Bought it for $64.99 after fighting off some big shot SW collector for it, with $8.00 shipping, took me up to about $73.00 but if it's the quality and type of helmet it says it is, then I wouldn't even need to alter the helmet! Just would need some painting and it'd be all set. It "says" it's a Don Post DELUXE helmet, but the photo is just one of those photos you get for free to show the item..isn't a photo of the actual helmet, so I'll believe it when I see it. But I contacted the seller and he said it is NEW in the box. If this is truly a Don Post Deluxe, hoo boy did I get a deal. Should be a couple days until I get it. CAN'T WAIT!

Here's the link for all to see -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3808789575&category=790&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT&rd=1

And boy, is eBay fun. I actually came home from work during lunch to make sure I won - kept refreshing every 5 seconds hoping some punk wouldn't outbid me - pretty hectic stuff lol! Well, gotta get back to work :p

23. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    WOOHOO!!!! Sweet!

24. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Way to go Will! I'm still a novice at this e-bay stuff, but you did pretty well for yourself in scoring that bucket!

25. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

Mar 9, 2002
    my friends took me out to the bars but im so happy i got the TIE HELMET thanx for the replies!!!!!

feel freeee to edit theis if you need to ,sorry for the indeecent posts.

EDIT by Krash: I explained to Will that HE could get in serious trouble with TFN for even bringing up the issue...PWI (Posting While I...you know) isn't something they take lightly. Sounds like you had a good time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.