main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tie Pilot/501st costume thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by Anrev_the_Jedi, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    [image=http://homepage.mac.com/anrev/.Pictures/TiePilot/Helmet01.JPG]

Update. The strips are place holders. Eyes done. Mouth done. Next ears and lenses. Then paint.

2. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Found an awesome link that gets into detail about the whole costume!

Click

3. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Yeah I like that one too. On a side note. I got a voice amp today! I'm going to wait a while to put in until the paint and everything else is done.

4. TK-P01

TK-P01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2003
    Umm, Guys, not to rain on your parade, but A) Don't you have to be part of the 501st before you join a group like Omega Wing or the Pathfinders and form a detachment of them in your local area and B) Three people a detachment does not make. You have to realize that the Garrison comes first.

Once you actually come out and troop with the Garrison you will realize that these guys are great and there's no need for a detahcment, these guys are great fun and more than willingly to help.

One more thing, Memebers of Detahcment still have to report to their local Garrisons. So its not like you will never have to deal wth the Garrison. These guys are more than wilingly to help new people, but you HAVE to take it slow.

Get your armor, come out and meet us, get a feel for the group. I think the way you guys kinda flooded the Garrison board and kept talking about new detahcments made some guys feel that you weren't showing any respect. The Ohio Troopers want nothing more than Ohio to stay a single united Unit, they know what's it like to have a group torn apart.

5. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Sorry to rain on YOUR parade but you need to read some stuff from the Ohio 501st forum.

These are quotes from the Ohio 501st board. First 1 from Krash.

"Quote:
    'but when you are new to a board or group, dont come on saying you are taking over and going to make a new detachment within the group'.
    As one of the leaders of the Cleveland Fanforce, I should apologize if we came in with all blasters a blazing. We've been together for over a year and a half...so we are very comfortable around each other. And meeting with new people from NE Ohio has been a welcomed surprise. It was never our intention to "take over" the garrison...but rather jump right into the fray with our fellow fans. We noticed that Cleveland wasn't as active an area as Columbus/Cincy...and we're wanting to help change that. We're on your side on this one! "

Then one from me.

"I guess some explinations are in order. In another thread I mentioned us "from Cleveland" wanting to form our own squadron. I didnt mean us coming in and trying to split the group. Nor did I mean the we would truly be taking over. I was talking to Krash about this the other nite. To me I dont really see a difference between the Cleveland Fan Force (Jedi Knights of Cleveland) and 501st as far as Cleveland is concerned. You see there are several ppl from JKOC who are expressing interest in the 501st. So for us what will change? We will have Imperial costumes. Thats about it. Yes there are other ppl in Cleveland that we will meet andbecome friends with. And Yes we will be making some more friends here on the board and maybe some will come to the JKOC meetings too. And we will make an effort to make some of the 501st gatherings. That being said I've been to 2 JKOC meetings in 1 1/2 years. Thats it. But I am most defiantly a part of the family. And I expect I will here too. Sorry for any ruffled feathers. "

Heres the link. Clickie

Why does everybody think that these are our intensions? :confused:

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    and kept talking about new detahcments made some guys feel that you weren't showing any respect.
    I can speak for all of us when I say that we have respect for Ohio Garrison...and all this "talk" about forming a "detachment" here in Cleveland was nothing more then a group of us wanting to join up together (as TIE pilots)

Don't you have to be part of the 501st before you join a group like Omega Wing or the Pathfinders and form a detachment of them in your local area
    Bret and the rest of us have been checking out all the well respected sources of TIE pilot costuming info...I (personally) want to join Ohio Garrison, but it is frustrating when WHAT you wear is more important then HOW you wear it.

The Ohio Troopers want nothing more than Ohio to stay a single united Unit, they know what's it like to have a group torn apart.
    We've been through that kinda situation ourselves (it sucks)...nobody here is looking to split Ohio apart, but a little inclusion would be nice!

EDIT: I would like to add something to what Bret said...
    And we will make an effort to make some of the 501st gatherings.
    This part alone should convince our friends at Ohio Garrison that there are people here in Cleveland (part of JKOC) who wish to be involved with BOTH groups.

I'd like to sit down Monday (before Zahn) and talk this over with the leaders of Ohio Garrison (who are attending) THIS kinda "rain on parades" is not the best way to get to know each other.

7. TK-P01

Dec 1, 2003
    It was mainly a knee-jerk reaction for several people. People were a little upset at first but now people are calming down and if you'll notice people are moe than willignly to help with costuming tips and even coming out to your house and help you assemlbe armor. Its just the way you came with "both guns blazing" caught many people off guard. They were used to a stlye of people coming in, introducing themselves, asking about armor, getting help and then coming out. Maybe some people did overreact, but its fairly understandable.

I thinks its awrsome that you guys are joining up, its always great to hangout with more Star Wars fans who love to troops, even more more so when they are younger like myself. People thought you should have taken your time and let people get to know you. Once you've trooped with us once you'll be in good. I think people just wanted to realize that 501st is different than the Fan Force in several ways. We indentify with the whole state, rather than our local area. But like you we are still a group of good friends who like to hang out and goof round together. If you want to be part of a family then you deffinately want to join the 501st, the guys in the Ohio Garrison are some of the coolest, nicest people around.

I know it sucks that to get into the 501st you have to sink alot of money into it, trust me $900 plus into armor wasn't a drop in the bucket. But once you've seen what its accomplished, how awesome it looks, you feel a great sense of pride in what you have done, and what these other people have done. To come together and joined the premier Star Wars costuming group in the world, a group with members in 21 countries, its an awesome feeling. Its not easy to make a movie quality costume and if you try and cut corners it just won't look right. Every time you wear your armor you unoffically represent Lucas and Star Wars so we want to look our bets all the time.

People where just taken aback by how fast and furious you came onto the board, but you're friends and excited about a project that is one of the coolest things you'll so (out side of Making HALO armor ;) ) . Once you've come out and trooped all this will probably blow over and nobody will even care anymore.

I know John Marshall and I, if we ever did TIE armor, wanted to do a costum job, have special pinstrips and decals and patches ect. Just take your time and it will all be cool in the end.

8. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    I understand what you are saying. But this was all taken care of on the other forum. What I didnt understand is why you decided to bring it up here again. Like I said before. Sorry for the ruffeled feathers. Lets drop it and move on.

On to whats really important. I got a helmet liner today. $6 for a hard hat with a nice liner. I think I'll just cut the top off of the hard hat and stuff it inside. Alot easier to mount that way. I also found our hoses. They are frelling SWEET! $12 each. 30" long. So there is extra. They were out of quick disconnects. I didnt get the hoses (like I said I was going to Geoff). Decided to get the liner and paint instead. I'm going to get the paint at Walmart here in a few mins. So I should have a wearable helmet by Monday. Will still need everything else but the helmet should be pretty much done.

9. TK-P01

Dec 1, 2003
    I didn't like the ahrd hat liner that came with the trooper helmet, it was too hard to instal. You had to glue it in just the right place and everyting. I just went ahead and used foam, I found it alot easier to costum fit to your head.

I haven't seen anybody use quick disconnect fitting to attach it to the helmet, but now that you mentiomn it, that's a sweet idea. Being able to pop your hoese on and off instead of just glueing them in will make it a lot esier to put the helemt on, and cooler effect.

10. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Ok I found something really cool at Walmart today. A custom Decal Making Kit. You print it out on your printer. Then its just like a decal for a model kit. And get this...the sheets of paper are big enough to make Imperial Cog decals for our helmets. Then you just clear coat it and your done! I hope it works. :D

11. TK-P01

Dec 1, 2003
    Custom decal kit, eh? That might be cool for your armor box when you get one. I know Big Ficker, my brother, kinda did that with his Bounty Hunter Armor Box,He has his name and TK Number and "Heavy Assult ShockTroop" on it.

I had a question about your amp Anerv. Where are you going to put it? I was thining when I did TIE I would put it in the chest box and run the wire from the head set mike htrough one of the hoses down into the chest box, or are you going to have he whole unti self-contained in he Helmet?

12. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Chest box. I dont want anything extra weighing down the helmet.

13. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Ok, clearing up a couple points with flight/squadron/wing structure. Going by the Rogue Squadron books, which seems to be the most complete resource on this in EU, I gleaned the following:

A quick breakdown... Let's just say we're talking about the 1st NR Fighter Wing. Has 6 squadrons, Rogue, Wraith, Polearm, Gauntlet, Nova and Corsair. Following typical NR and GE convention, each squardon would be broken down as follows.

Rogue Squadron:
    1 Flight: Rogues 1-4
    2 Flight: Rogues 5-8
    3 Flight: Rogues 9-12

Flight leaders would be Rogues 1, 5 and 9. Squadron Commander (CO) would be Rogue 1, or Rogue Leader by callsign. The Squadron Executive Officer (XO) could be any number of the squadron, and in some instances may not even fly in combat. EG: Tycho Celchu, the Rogues' XO, didn't fly in combat with the Rogues for a while. After Ven got hurt, he went to XO and Tycho started flying again. When Tycho did fly, he usually flew as Rogue 2, Wedge's wingman. This was odd because the 2 spot was usually meant for the most green pilot in the squadron and Tycho was generally considered to be second only to Wedge. Meanwhile, while with the Wraiths, Wedge was Wraith Lead, Janson, the XO, was Wraith 11. It wasn't specific as to whether or not he led 3 Flight, but considering Myn Donos was Wraith 9, Wes may not have.

So, long story short (too late)
    2 pilots = 1 wing pair
    4 pilots = 2 wing pairs = 1 flight
    12 pilots = 6 wing pairs = 3 flights = 1 squadron
    72 pilots = 36 wing pairs = 18 flights = 6 squadrons = 1 wing

And there's your NR and GE fighter squadron organization. Wow, I read these books too much. [face_blush] And now that I think about it, this really has absolutely no bearing on any of the costuming aspects of this thread but after I typed all this crap out, ya best be dang sure I ain't just gonna flush it so here y'all go.

BTW, I was really not gonna say anything regarding the prev conflict and all that, but there is one thing I remembered reading when I first started looking at costuming. I think it should always be shared with people when the eye may leave the prize.

"I wear this armor for the joy in children's faces -I will never grow old...."
    ? evpi50 and Vaderpainter

-b-

14. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    WOW BMack that was a good read. Well that did shed some light on the flight thing. Thanks.

15. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Someone has too much time on their hands. ;)

16. TK-P01

Dec 1, 2003
    "I wear this armor for the joy in children's faces"

That's the always the best part. Its great to see a ittle kids eyes just real big when they see you, and when you walk up to them and introduce yourself and shake their hand, they look like they're going to faint. I always take off my helmet, so they're not afriad, let them look at, try it on if they want, and they always love holdng the BlasTech E-11. I don't knoe, it just makes me think of how cool it would have ben if I had seen a stormtrooper as a kid. We've done a few birthday parties for kids and those are a blast.

Maybe its buase to wear a Sta rWars costume and go out it public you have to still have a little bit of kid in you ;)

17. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    [image=http://homepage.mac.com/anrev/.Pictures/TiePilot/tie-interceptor.jpg]
    I love this pic.

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    they always love holdng the BlasTech E-11
    At Celebration II, some trooper let me try his Blastech T-21 repeating blaster...big kids, big toys! ;)

19. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    [image=http://www.thejediknightsofcleveland.com/starwars/images/181_interceptor.jpg]
    Brett, I love mine more.

-b-

20. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    The Baron Fel version. I like that too.

21. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    Well I got the helmet liner glued in tonite. Then I temp installed the lenses with hot glue. I was planing on painting tonite but I dont really want to do it inside as it is now close to bed time and the smell will go through out the house. The glue smell is bad enough. I got some acrylic epoxy adheasive that is like plastic welder. I glue airplanes back together with the stuff so you know its strong. Since I work tomorrow I wont be able to paint before Monday. :( Plus I havnt tried out those decals yet. I need a new ink cartridge. :( I stoped by work tonite to get the glue and make templets out of wood to reform the "ears" and the band saw was broke. Oh well. So you guys will see it at the half way point.

22. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I like this one best of all.

[image=http://www.sciencegalaxy.de/starwars/starfighter2jedi.jpg]

23. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I stopped off at Wal-Mart (no sign of Reborn) to check out those Herman Survivors S/T Engineer II boots...that should do the job nicely, with a couple modifications. Will, if you get a discount at Wal-Mart...maybe you/Emily/I should work out something to save us all a couple bucks.

Eric, I like the jedi starfighter as much as the next guy...but this thread is about the Imperial side of the SW universe.

[image=http://www.lfxw.com/xwa/images/tieintercepteur181.jpg]

As Grand Admiral Thrawn initiated his bid for power, he began arming TIE Interceptors with shields, knowing that the Empire could no longer consider these exceptional ships to be disposable. - The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels

I'll be flying one of these models of TIE Interceptor...because with a callsign like "Krash" you can't be too careful! ;)

24. Anrev_the_Jedi

Mar 14, 2002
    "I like this one best of all."

Baaah. Out dated model. Good ship but too old for me.

25. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    Eric, I like the jedi starfighter as much as the next guy...but this thread is about the Imperial side of the SW universe.

Hmm, I could be wrong, but that looks a lot like the Imperial gear on the sides of the cockpit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.