Tiger Woods: the best there ever was?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by CitizenKane, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    I wouldn't forget about Mickelson. He is the only player talented enough to make it hard for Tiger to break the record.

He can be absolutely brilliant, then horrible. But, last year he matched Woods stroke for stroke, and finally beat him head to head in a tournament, I forget which tournament.

In the last copuple of years he has 3 majors, and has been ranked 2nd for awhile now.

He won't ever be better or even as good as Tiger, but he can make things difficult for him. Hefty lefty will win his share of tournaments.
  2. DurronFan Force Ghost

star 4
    If Tiger breaks the record for Major wins (Nicklaus's 18) AND Pga Tour victories (Snead's 82), then he will almost undoubtedly be the best ever. But before his career is over, it's rather premature to call him the best ever. I'm sure he'll break Snead's record and I'd be surprised if he doesn't break Nicklaus's as well.
  3. Thrawn1786 Force Ghost

star 5
    Agreed. :)
  4. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Tiger is the greatest golfer of all time, and probably the greatest athlete of all time, too. It's hard to compare sports, so I'll stick with golf for the moment.

Greatness is about more than just winning a lot of tournaments. (Or finishing 2nd a lot, though I've never understood why that's used as an argument for Jack. All it means is that Tiger wins when he's close, which is obviously better.) See, I don't believe that when one athlete breaks another's marks that you can automatically say that the one with greater numbers is superior. For example: Randy Johnson may have more wins than Bob Feller, but you will never, ever convince me that Johnson exceeded Rapid Robert. Some things are more than numbers, and greatness is one of them.

I pick Tiger over Jack, not because I think that Jack's records will fall, but instead because of the simple attitude Tiger has displayed. He does not try to beat people. He tries to obliterate them, and he usually succeeds. His passion for the game is what makes him great. He dominates in a way no golfer ever has.
  5. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Tiger, like Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali, changed his sport. Without a doubt the greatest ever.
  6. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Well, he's still powering on. That 8&7 Matchplay win is pretty much unprecendented. He now has the lowest odds ever on achieving the hitherto never done Grand Slam (12-1)
  7. LordPullus Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah Tiger at the end of the day could go down as the greatest of all time in golf. It's scary to think that this guy still has a lot of mileage left in the tank, and if he keeps the same mental approach to playing his opponents I don't think there will be enough room in his closet for all the coat jackets he'll win.
  8. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    The man has one knee and he's leading going into the final day.
  9. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Did you see that put? Incroyable!!!
  10. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    What the hell?!

Am I in the amphitheatre?!
  11. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I thought he had missed it completely. Not on your tintype.
  12. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    In sports like Tennis and Golf, a player is measured by Major Tournament wins. Untill Tiger breaks Jack's record for majors, Jack is still the best.

Evidence of this way of measuring players is talked about all the time. Phil Mickelson won a whole bunch of tournaments, and made a whole heap of cash. But untill he won his first major, he was just another good golfer. Now with three major wins, many sports writers and media types say he is a hall of famer.

Also, Golf, like many sports is just as hard to compare eras. What if Jack used the eqipment of today? What if Tiger used the equipment of Jack's era? Look at how many different balls there are.

That is why the only way to measure who is the best in golf is the Majors, because 1. they are usually the toughest courses, and 2. All the best players in the game play in the Major tournaments, for the most part. There are some tournaments when only two or three of the top 5 or 6 players are involved.
  13. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Tiger Woods is just plain sick. That's all there is to it. He is playing on a whole different level from everyone else. His knee is obviously in pain, maybe even getting worse as the tournament goes on. And he goes out shoots a -1 today, finishing off with a birdie and two eagles to lead going into Sunday.

The man is just plain sick.
  14. DurronFan Force Ghost

star 4
    has to be one of the most exciting 3rd rounds in years and maybe the best score of 70 shot ever, considering the conditions and his knee.
  15. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Boy that was fun watching the 3rd round Tigerlights.
  16. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Today has been a rollercoaster.... I'm thinking he'll still pull through.

And yes, he is almost the best there ever was. Without a doubt he will be, but it'll only take a few more years to get there.
  17. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  18. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
  19. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    This might have been one of the more exciting and fun to watch rounds of golf I've seen. And Tiger's putt on 18...damn. Tommorow will be fun to watch.
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Got back in time to catch the last few holes of today's play, including Tiger's final putt to force a playoff. That'll go down as one of his many very clutch moments, especially if he goes on to win tomorrow. Should be great, but his knee has to be hurting pretty bad right now.
  21. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    :eek:

That putt was phenomenal.
  22. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I feel a bit bad for Rocco :p but I hope and expect Tiger to win tomorrow.
  23. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    ^^^ my sentiments exactly. That putt was REDICULOUS! I woke my gf up because I was going nuts.
  24. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I watched the whole damn thing...
  25. DAR Force Ghost

star 4
    What time do they start tomorrow, I'm hoping I can see the last few holes before I come home from work.

As a side note did anyone who has HBO watch Back Nine at Cherry Hills? Good stuff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.