main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends 'Til The End -- (Hobbie, NJO vig)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by djcati, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Title: 'Til The End
    Author: djcati
    Fandom: Star Wars NJO (circa Balance Point?)
    Characters: Hobbie, OC
    Rating: PG
    Words: 1,331
    Notes: The style of this is weird, um, I can't quite figure it out, but that's how Hob-- I insisted on writing it. Another fic written during prep... and, for those who know what I'm talking about, the parts of this in italics are entirely AU from Supernova. :p

-----

Most people hated war. The fighting, the killing, the not-quite-morning drills?

?Colonel Klivian, sir ? you need to sign this.?

?Paperwork. Fantastic. Over there, Lieutenant ? I?ll get it later.?

?Thank you, sir.?

?Right, right?dismissed??

Hobbie hated all those things, too. He also hated being in command of a squadron, being responsible, and flying without Wedge, Tycho, and Wes by his side.

?Colonel Klivian, sir, did you sign those forms??

?What? You only gave me them a minute ago!?

?No, sir, the other ones ? about my transfer.?

?Oh, those ones. I lost those.?

?What?! ? Sir.?

?Kidding. I?ll get them to you in a couple hours, when I find them.?

?It takes you two hours to sign forms?!?

?Sure. Dismissed, Lieutenant.?

Most people would say there was nothing good about war, especially this one. People dying: not good. Worlds being destroyed: not good. Aliens from another galaxy, hell bent on destruction and domination: not good.

A lot of people said there was never anything good about any war ? what did it achieve if not more pain for all concerned. Hobbie figured those people hadn?t fought in the Rebellion ? or the Empire, come to that. Sure, war had more than its fair share of bad points, but how the hell else did these people expect their freedom?

Not that even that worked right away. Hobbie had hated those years after the Rebellion even more than the war itself. You never were sure who exactly you were fighting ? the Imperials, or New Republic bureaucracy?

?Colonel Klivian, sir ? those transfer forms??

?Hey, I thought I said two hours.?

??I thought, maybe, you were joking.?

?Joking? You want joking, go to Wes Janson.?

??Did you even look at those forms yet? Sir??

Maybe that was why ? despite his command position, despite being away from his best friends, despite the war ? Hobbie felt more comfortable now than he had during the so-called peace time. There was a clear enemy now ? something he could see and shoot, something everyone he knew was fighting, something he could curse when things went wrong. Not that he couldn?t still curse New Republic bureaucracy, of course.

?Oh my kriffing Force, no.?

??Sir? That sure was a lot of cursing, for you.?

?Vaping Corellian hells, no, Lieutenant.?

?And that was more.?

?I?m not signing this form. No way.?

Hobbie liked knowing who his enemy was. He liked to know who he was aiming at and whether he could shoot them or not. He liked it even better when the answer was yes.

Waiting around for something to do, sidestepping taboos, following rules and regulations to the letter ? nuh uh. Reminded him too much of the Empire, and look where it got them!

So maybe that was a by-product of ? pretty much ? growing up in the Rebellion. Never any use for bureaucracy back then. Fighting a war on two fronts? Didn?t work. At least this war with the Yuuzhan Vong meant bureaucracy was taking a step back from the military. If only it could let go entirely?

?Can I ask why not, sir??

?This is a transfer form? For you??

?Yes.?

?Into this squadron? The squadron printed right here??

?Yes, sir.?

?Not a chance in hell, Lieutenant. Can?t let you get yourself into this.?

?Into what, sir??

?All ? just ? why are you transferring??

?That squadron commander requested a slicer??

?I?ll bet he did.?

??and I thought it looked interesting, sir.?

In some ways, the Yuuzhan Vong were similar to the Empire ? strong, nasty, and intent on killing everything that wasn?

2. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    That was brilliant! It had a perfect blend of humor (Wes's influence, no doubt) and classic Hobbie pessimism.

Liked the lines about the toy bantha, they made me laugh. :D

Keep up the great work!

3. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Oh, I do love Hobbie. [face_love]

Excellent viggie, djcati. @};-I think you really captured his motivation--even a pessimist like Hobbie has to have some kind of idealistic traits for him to fight in a war, especially because he jumped ship and joined the Rebellion.

And I loved the mix of humor and gloom. Pure Hobbie! :D

4. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    talkingbanana -- yar, I think Wes was a good influence on Hobbie, not a bad one like my muse claims. *pokes Hobbie*

I must admit, however, that the idea of Hobbie having a toy bantha was stolen from TM-Hobbie and was not entirely my own imagination at all. D:

Leia -- I love Hobbie too. <3

Aw, thank you! I'm glad you like it... It was a little weird for me, writing Hobbie without Wes (Supernova doesn't count :p), but you think I did all right? Yay. ^_^

5. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I love it. You captured Hobbie very well. :D

6. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Yay! Hobbie! [face_dancing]

I really liked the mixture of dialogue and thoughts, serious and funny. It was a risky move, not everyone would be able to pull that off--but I think you did it excellently.

Nice insight into the man who just wanted to shoot something, without apologies, before the frustration killed him.

7. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I've just recently starting paying attention to Hobbie, and I find him to be the more difficult of the pilots to write. You handled him well - the humour stemming from his friendship with Wes, his general outlook.

Loved it, Cati.

Jes

8. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    =D=

Bravo Cati! Nice job here.

I'd cover all of the "nice blend" "got it from Wes" bits but that already got taken. So I'll just say, very good. Keep letting Hobbs poke you occaisionally, we need more Hobbs around here (me being the eternal pessimist, I sort of worship the man) :D

Ro

*snort, "make sure you pack the ewok repellant" [face_laugh] :D *snort

9. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Smuggler_Shidakis -- hehe, yay, thanks. Glad you think so. :D

SweetPea -- yay Hobbie indeed! Aw, and thank you, glad you reckon I pulled that off. hehe.

Jesina -- yay, thank ya! Huh, I (strangely) find Hobbie the easiest to write... I guess cause I don't know Tycho much at all, don't feel confident with Wedge... Wes, well, I've been finding him harder lately for some reason. *pokes him* Silly Wes...

Rowan_Jade -- lol, yay, thanks. And I'm not sure it's possible to stop Hobbie (or Wes) from poking me with fic ideas, ha, but I shall continue to let him. :D

10. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    ?Paperwork. Fantastic. Over there, Lieutenant ? I?ll get it later.?

*lol*

?No, sir, the other ones ? about my transfer.?
    ?Oh, those ones. I lost those.?

he he he

?Joking? You want joking, go to Wes Janson.?

:D

?So you?re going to leave us, Lieutenant? It?s because he?s more famous than me, isn?t it??

ouch!

?If you call me that again, I?ll get your new squadron commander to make all your rations Ewok food.?

yub yub

[face_laugh]

?Ewok food??
    ?Oh, yes. Have fun with the Ewoks, Lieutenant.?

*lol*

?Enjoy the Taanab Yellow Aces, Jay. Tell Wes he?s an idiot, from me.?

that?s new :p

that was a good vig
    I enjoyed it :D

~Mag~

11. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    don't feel confident with Wedge...

I've recently realized that Wedge is actually difficult to write...he doesn't have a guiding personality trait. Hobbie has his pessimism, Wes is a child at heart, Tycho is cold, aloof.... Wedge has his devotion to duty, but there isn't really anything striking in his mannerisms, the way he talks, etc, that makes him easier to characterize.

12. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Oh, that was lovely. I love Hobbie beyond all reason anyway, but this made me love him just a little bit more. I liked how you went back and forth between the scenes and the kind of internal monologue Hobbie had going there. That kind of introspection was very insightful. This was wonderful!

~Carr

13. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Maggy -- :p Thank you, glad you liked it. And found it so funny, lol.

Jesina -- Wedge has his devotion to duty, but there isn't really anything striking in his mannerisms, the way he talks, etc, that makes him easier to characterize.

Hmm, true. I still need to read more with him (just three X-wing books left! heh), but yeah. It's not as easy to really define him in situations, ne? Difficult. A challenge.

Which means I will be writing him a lot more in future. -_-; Never could resist a good challenge... XD;

CarrKicksDoor -- aw, I am so happy I made you like Hobbie even more. He deserves to be loved by everyone. :p And thank you! ^_^

14. Enelya_Sol

Enelya_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2004
    Hehehehehe. Toy bantha. Silly Jay. I still love this fic. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.