main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Tim Burton: The Wizard of Odd: Now Disc. New "Dark Shadows" Photos

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    in the long run, i guess. i thought more along the lines of 'they belong to a multi-national corporation that has made the decision for them' :p

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Anyone seen it yet?

4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    This Friday. Can't wait. :D

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    At minimum it's going to be interesting. The visuals look absolutely stunning.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I think James Cameron is just jealous of Tim Burton for actually having an original story to go with his stunning visuals. :p

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    fixed.

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    It's a sequel, not a remake. Therefore, my statement is inaccurate. :p

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It's kind of an embellished remake, not really a legitimate sequel. So far Tim Burton is four for four on the count of his most recent movies that have been remakes of other movies, not that I blame him. The remake biniss is aboomin'.

11. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    The plot is completely different from the first Disney film, if that's the original film we're referring to, since there are so many Alice in Wonderland productions. I'm not saying he doesn't remake stuff, but this isn't a remake.

12. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    The reviews are starting to pour in. The venerable and forever Professionally Distanced Todd McCarthy weighs in from the industry bible, Variety.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is reviewed

***Christopher Lee plays Jabberwocky***

13. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    When these reviewers use the "weird" argument, it's because they can't think of anything negative to say, but want to say something negative. :p

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Some of the reviewers have echoed Cameron's comment and said that the 3D conversion undermined the film's cinematography.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

Mar 2 2010 05:14 PM ET

Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov reunite to produce 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'
    by Nicole Sperling

"There is no more perfect a pairing than the visually stimulating duo Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) to take on the bizarre combination of Abraham Lincoln and vampires. The two filmmakers, who previously came together to produce the animated feature 9, will re-team to make the big-screen adaptation of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, the newly released novel by Seth Grahame-Smith. Grahame-Smith, who also wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, will adapt the screenplay. Jim Lemley will also produce.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter turns history on its head, telling the story of the 16th president?s secret battle with the undead?a battle that began during Lincoln?s childhood as a way to avenge his mother?s murder. With a Lincoln story this cool on the development track, will Steven Spielberg finally lay to rest his long-gestating plans for a Lincoln biopic? Hmmm."

16. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    What the heck...o_O

17. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    This should be interesting, but only if they can do it well. If they try an action/adventure, I think it will flop.

Seth Grahame-Smith's writing strength is his ability to mimic different styles. In Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, "co-written" with Jane Austen, he mimics her style very convincingly which makes the story work.

I have heard that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is written as a dry biography, no action, no adventure, just the dry facts. Except that these dry facts include his lifelong quest to eradicate vampires. To make it work, a movie would have to mimic some sort of dry biographical film, maybe something like the Civil War series that PBS did in the mid 90's.

Still need to pick up a copy of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]

That was quick.

19. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Not surprising. [face_laugh]

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm so there.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    From Alice in Wonderland to Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Tim is certainly versatile.

As predictable as can be, the critical community says Alice in Wonderland is a visual treat, but empty calories. I guess they had to take out their crib sheet for that one, you know, it's in the file under "stock review for Tim Burton films." With only a couple of exceptions, Ed Wood being one of them, almost every Burton film gets that same review. Movie criticism must be the laziest profession on Earth. It always amuses me when film critics trot out the same old cliches over and over again as they accuse filmmakers of lack of originality.

Rotten Tomatoes Reviews Page for Alice in Wonderland

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    From TWOP:

"Noted remake enthusiast Tim Burton is back on the marquee this weekend with his updated take on Alice in Wonderland, and we're not the least bit ashamed to say we're excited about it. Though a couple of Burton's remakes didn't work, many of them were fantastic, and let's not forget that the man has actually made quite a few original films over the years as well. In honor of his new release we decided to look back at the beloved director's best and worst directorial efforts.

Best: Sweeney Todd

Can Johnny Depp sing? Not really, but that doesn't matter when the blood is spraying liberally all over a beautiful Tim Burton aesthetic. Sacha Baron Cohen in his finest non-Ali G Show role and Helena Bonham Carter's unrivaled being-burned-alive-in-a-furnace acting only furthers our point."

I liked this one a lot.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Only Tim Burton could have taken a musical about a serial killer barber and actually made it work on film.

24. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Totally agree wtih you about critics, John.

Yeah, I love Sweeney Todd to death, no pun intended. ;) That's mostly because I'm a huge fan of films that have the capacity to be many things at once. Sweeney is, at different times, unbearably sad, ridiculously hilarious, terribly disgusting, and very irritating. This movie is also, to me, one of Depp's best performances. And I like the way he sings. :p Nope, it's not a film I can have running in the background while I mess around on the computer, but it's brilliant.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Yes, crickets are irritating. Oops, sorry - critics. Actually, most film criticism reminds me of the sound of crickets rubbing their hind legs together, so there's not that much difference.

I thought the transfer of a three hour Broadway extravaganza, skillfully pared to two hours, keeping the flavor and tone and wit and story while the losing the bloat, was one of Tim's greatest achievements.

He turned Sweeney into a wonderful piece of horror cinema with great songs, rather than just a simpleminded transplant of a stage show to film.

Stephen Sondheim loved what Burton did with Sweeney.

Sondheim on Sweeney