main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Tim Burton: The Wizard of Odd: Now Disc. New "Dark Shadows" Photos

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  2. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    This could work. Keeping it animated and separate from the brilliant live action films is a step in the right direction. I could get excited by this.

And I will be shocked if Johnny Depp isn't voicing Gomez.......

3. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
  4. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Blast it, Zaz beat me again. :p

It was only a matter of time before they started denying it. Whenever something like this crops up, it's always immediately shot down. Most of the time, it ends up being true, after all.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I'd rather see Dark Shadows or Maleficent, and many sequels thereof, before I'd want another treatment of the Addams Family. It's played out, IMO.

Heck, I'd rather see a 3D Frankenweenie before another Addams, and I'm not exactly a fan of the 'weenie.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I greatly enjoyed the second live-action movie, and don't feel we need another; but hey, I felt that way about "Alice", too.

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    So did I, initially, but (part of) the genius of Burton's Alice is that it's a sequel. You can riff on the original without being tied to it.

With the Addams Family, Burton wants to go back to the comic strip, before it was a TV show or a movie. The problem (for me) is that apart from the visual style, the comic strip was pretty much exactly like the TV show and the movie (and the second TV show). There are no major differences among them in terms of story or character. We've seen it all before in the three different live-action incarnations.

With Alice, there is an infinite world to explore. With the Addams, every story that can be told, has been told. Probably. At the very least the Addams Family feels tired and played out.

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Maleificent is definitely higher on my list of stuff I'd love to see than this possible Addams family thing, but the Addams family movie is higher on my list than Dark Shadows, so go figure. :p I don't know, if it were something like Corpse Bride, it would be kind of cool.

9. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Yes, with Alice there was an infinite world to explore, yet, he didn't. Instead we received another rather underwhelming and predictable chosen one/prophesy story, which is also very tired and played out. Disappointing to say the least.

So Addams should be right up his alley. :p

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I didn't find Alice underwhelming, but deeply absorbing and highly entertaining. It was predictable insofar as Alice fulfilled her Wonderland destiny and beat the bad guy, but she did it in her own way, using her father's credo as inspiration. She also went on to achieve big things in the real world, in a majestic denouement which was not predictable in the slightest.

11. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    And are any of Burton's films really unpredictable, plot-wise? For the most part, you usually know where we're going to end up in the end. It's the ride that's the fun part. Seeing how we get from point A to point B.

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Dunno...when I saw Pee-Wee's Big Adventure I really didn't see him storming the movie studio and getting a contract. I still think there was some acid involved in the making of that film.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

What makes Tim tick? This was produced in association with the big Tim Burton exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. It's 7 minutes long. He talks about everything from the movie Omega Man to German Expressionism.

The Wizard of Odd

14. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Thanks for posting that link, John. Say what you will about his hair, but the man's a genius, pure and simple.

15. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Glad to do it. He's got a different take on life. That's for sure. The part where he talked about about wearing those socks made me think, "yeah, that's Tim Burton allright!"

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    [face_laugh] Yep, definitely, definitely. And that's what makes Tim who he is. I'm just glad I'm around to sit here and shake my head at him in wonder and bemusement. :p

17. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I wonder if his teachers from elementary and middle school know the "artistic" kid they taught grew up to be Tim Burton. From the video, it sounds like only one of them encouraged him.

18. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    As of today, Alice in Wonderland has been out exactly one month.

It's world-wide gross is $ 672,793,000. Burton's never had a movie surpass 500 million, let alone 600 million. I guess champagne corks are popping at Disney and around the Burton household. :cool:

I think Alice is a lock for 700 million.

I also think successful 3 D films like Avatar and Alice have the potential to become perennials, like the old roadshow engagements, where they are re-released periodically for new generations in a theatrical release that can't be duplicated at home.

That Alice is such a well-made film is icing on the cake.

I don't think I'd say it's Tim's all-time best film, for me that would be a three way tie between Scissorhands, Ed Wood and Big Fish. But some of the individual scenes within Alice are among the best scenes he's ever directed.

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Of course, you can knock off a couple million for 3d surcharges...:p

Don't give the studios any ideas! Think of how slowly the art will develop if they figure, "We only need to do a new one of these every five years or so, because people keep coming back for the old ones!"

20. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Anyone see this video? Hilarious, and kinda true. :p

Agreed, except for the fact that I could never particularly care for Ed Wood. I know, intellectually, it's a well-made movie, but I just can't "like" it. I'd say his three best films are Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, and Corpse Bride.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I'm fond of Sweeney Todd myself, great film.

According to Box Office Mojo, Alice's world-wide total is now $733,265,601.

Frankly, I'm stunned. But here's something even more stunning.

Alice has not even opened yet in Spain, Brazil or .... Japan!

Japan is a huge foreign market. A nation of passionate film goers where ticket prices for 2 D are more expensive than in the U.S. according to a Japanese friend of mine. So the 3 D tickets there are going to be very expensive. But the Japan box office will probably make a major contribution to Alice's total.

I'm happy for Tim because this success will guarantee him financing and creative freedom for his films for years to come.

22. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Whoohoo, we broke 700 million! And so well-deserved, too. I'm sure Tim's uncorking the champagne. Well, I raise my glass of water to him, :p and I can't wait to see what the future holds for this guy and his work.

No opening yet in Japan? It premiered there a few weeks ago. Geez, it's going to be huge when it opens.

23. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
  24. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I hope the dollar figure in the thread title is just a typo, because $700K isn't really that much money. :p

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    I will tactfully and diplomatically point you in the direction of the mod squad. They handle the subject lines for this thread. ;)