main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Tim Burton: The Wizard of Odd: Now Disc. New "Dark Shadows" Photos

Discussion in 'Community' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Somebody's sabotaging Tim Burton's reputation. :p

I fixed it, no worries!

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Brandon Gray at Box Office Mojo says Burton's Alice was still raking it in overseas during this past weekend.

Alice in Wonderland retreated 46 percent to $18.3 million on 6,687 screens in 51 markets. Nearly 65 percent of its weekend was from 3D showings, and the 3 D format accounts for 72 percent of its $464.3 million total. It's already Walt Disney Pictures' fourth highest-grossing picture internationally, Alice has openings in Spain and Japan to look forward to this coming weekend.

Alice just surpassed the Lion King's world-wide gross, the only 3 Disney-distributed films that have outearned it are two of the POTC films and Finding Nemo. It will probably surpass Finding Nemo, but not the POTC films.

Alice is currently at 785 million.

3. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Awesome. :cool: Besides Japan, in which countries does Alice have yet to open?

4. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Spain and Bolivia.

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Is there anything you don't know? :p

Alice nears $800 million. And the DVD/Blu-Ray release is scheduled for June 1 in the US, June 4 in the UK.

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Grossing $875,473,000 worldwide, Alice in Wonderland is now the eighteenth highest grossing film of all time (before adjusting for inflation). As an aside, that means Johnny Depp has played in three of the highest grossing films of all times, those being Dead Man's Chest, The Curse of the Black Pearl, and Alice in Wonderland. :cool:

7. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    That's really cool.

Interesting breakdown on the split between domestic and foreign.

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $327,473,000 37.4%
    + Foreign: $548,000,000 62.6%

= Worldwide: $875,473,000

It's already in the top 20 world-wide, but not domestically. It has to make a little over a million dollars more to surpass the 20th film on the domestic list. And that film is none other than Disney's own Lion King.

On the world wide list, Alice is now Disney's 3rd highest grosssing film in the studio's history. Released in March! If it stays in theatres long enough overseas, it could actually cross the 900 million mark. I can barely believe I just typed that last sentence.

8. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    That is absolutely insane. Jesus. It was a brilliant film, though. It deserves it.

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Okay, so that's how it works out. I'm glad we have you here to explain all these complicated nuances. :p

10. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    What can I say? Whether it's baseball, basketball or box office, guys like STATS. :cool:

11. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Alice in Wonderland has now passed the 900 million dollar mark, according to Box Office Mojo.

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $329,804,952 35.8%
    + Foreign: $591,000,000 64.2%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $920,804,952

If it earns just a little more, it's going to surpass the Phantom Menace, the Lord of the Rings The Two Towers and a Harry Potter sequel. :eek:

It's now in the top 20 domestic films, and it's going to end up in the top ten world-wide. Top ten films ever in terms of world-wide box office gross? I thought it was a very good film, but I would have never expected to see it become this successful.

12. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
  13. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    I thought it was a darn good film, but I never expected it to be half as successful! Can't say I'm too broken up about it, though. :D

14. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The power of 3D screens with nothing to show except Avatar and Alice. :p (Clash of the Titans was a bomb, that doesn't count.)

15. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Sorry to be that guy again, but I thought it was a mediocre film and only wish I could be surprised at its success.

16. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    This week's stats on Alice in Wonderland.

Total Lifetime Gross

Domestic: $330,846,000 34.5%
    + Foreign: $629,500,000 65.5%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $960,346,000

Here's the real shocker. Take a look at the link below. Alice is going to surpass every Harry Potter film made so far in terms of global box office. I have run out of ways to express my amazement.

Box Office Top Ten List World-wide

Alice may not make a billion dollars, but it's going to get quite close to that mark.
    I could see Iron Man 2 making a billion.

There's been no public comment from Tim Burton on the success of Alice, but I'd like to know what he thinks about it. He's never made a movie that was even remotely as successful.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Who would have thunk it?

18. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    No one. And I mean no one.

I'll tell you who looks smart, is whoever the Disney executive is who sealed the deal for Tim to direct Alice. One of Tim's conditions for taking the job was that he be allowed to make a 3 D stop motion feature-length version of the film short that he made when he was very young called Frankenweenie. Disney owns the rights to it because Tim was a Disney employee/animator at the time. Even in 1984 when he made the Frankenweenie short, he told the studio it could be stretched to feature length, but they weren't interested.

So when Frankenweenie gets remade, even if it's a flop, it was good business to indulge Tim because Alice has made so much stinking money, a Frankenweenie flop probably won't hurt their bottom line too much. It can easily be absorbed by Alice's profits.

Frankenweenie IMDB

19. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Yeah, he's been remarkably silent about its success. Then again, knowing him, I wouldn't expect him to talk about it too much.

A lineup of his next few films. I'd offer my analysis, but I've got class in ten minutes. Blast it. Well, you guys probably know what I'm going to say. :p

20. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Actually, I don't have as much to say as I did earlier today. :p To be brief, I wish he'd get on with Frankenweenie! Most likely, that isn't going to happen until Dark Shadows is finished, which won't be until early 2011 -- which is, I might add, much later than anyone expected. We were led to believe that filming was going to take place during the latter portion of this year. But Johnny's busy, to put it mildly. After DS, it'll be Frankenweenie and Maleficent, I'm guessing. I just hope neither of those is bumped by Mosterpocalypse.

21. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    My head is spinning like I was Beetlejuice! That's a lot to keep up with. [face_worried]

22. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    A lot for you to keep up with, or a lot for Tim to keep up with? :p

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Just watched Big Fish for the first time in years. I hardly remembered it. Or what a good film it is. It's better than Corpse Bride. :p

24. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Alice in Wonderland is one of six films to pass the one billion dollar mark. The other five films are Avatar, Titanic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Dead Man?s Chest, and The Dark Knight. It's worth pointing out that 1/3 of these films starred Mr. Depp. :D

25. DanyKenobi340

DanyKenobi340 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2009
    Oh, yes, Big Fish...my second favorite movie of all time.

Amen! Depp is the best. and Tim is a film icon, in the category of Walt Disney and Steven Spielberg